Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

John Gregory

Job For local council
« on: May 31, 2007, 09:46:05 am »
Blagged me self a job yesterday for a council run home for adults with learning disabilaties. 3 bedrooms all cheap nylon carpets, no problem. Large HSL is a Belgium Wilton. I have warned the manager of the potential problems and he has told me to go a head and clean it he is also prepared to sign a disclaimer. The manager also looks after several homes in the area so it could turn out be a good job for me 
Any advice welcome    chem  temp  Psi   etc

Re: Job For local council
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007, 02:31:29 pm »
Hi John,
Treat the job  the same as you did with me in Wolverhampton when we cleaned that nursing home.
All the carpet is man made fibres so no problem what ever pre-spray you use, but be sure to give it plenty of dwell time.
Oh before I forget make sure you get PAID because the council are buggers for paying on time :-[

Good luck boy go do it. ;)

Chris R

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 09:17:02 pm »
Hello John,

I clean a lot of Belgium wilton in nursing homes.

I always used to use Dry Fusion but its a lot easier now that I have the T/M.

Check the fitting, especially door strips. If you can "kick" the carpet loose from the door strip then it will probably shrink when you clean it.

Start with a VERY good pre vac.

Blitz is Ace on bel wilton. ( Hot water and a strong mix ). You cant do any harm to a bel wilton- apart from shrink it !  :'(

Use an 01 spray tip ( fine spray), only dampen the carpet.

Plenty of agitation. 

Rinse with a detergent rinse at about 200 psi

Once you have done a 6ft length put a turbo dryer on it.

Usually the hall will be worst so I would do that first, aiming to get it dried out quick.

It helps if the radiators are on. Hot room + turbo dryers = quick drying.

Dont be tempted to go over it to many times. Let it dry and go off to do a bedroom or something. Come back to it later for a second go ( inspect for possible shrinkage).

This may sound a bit like a cowboy trick, but I always carry an electric staple gun on the van. If the carpets fitted on a wooden floor you can tack it down in doorways if it looks like its going to shrink. The tacks can be easily pulled out later. Saved my skin once or twice over the years  ::)

Nursing homes often struggle to get someone who will clean a Belgium wilton carpet, many cleaners will just turn the job down.

If you can master it then it leaves you free to charge big bucks for the service  ;)

regards

Chris

Staffordshire

John Gregory

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 09:47:55 pm »
Thanks, Chris ,and ,Dave  dont own a turbo dryer so just ordered one. The carpet is well fitted apart from one doorway which i will now staple down.
Happy days   Thanks  John

John Gregory

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007, 10:07:34 pm »
Chris

How far apart do i place the staples

John

Kinver_Clean

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2007, 11:45:07 pm »
Make sure that  you get a written order for the job. Some councils will only give work to approved contractors, ours requires £5 000 000 insurance. If you do not have a contractors number they will not pay. I did a residential home and had a real problem, they eventually accepted 2 000 000 insurance and its been a good payer since.

Trevor
God must love stupid people---He made so many.

Chris R

Re: Job For local council New
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2007, 11:55:39 pm »
Chris
How far apart do i place the staples
John

Every 3 inches or so.

If its on a concrete floor you cant do anything about it. 80% chance it will shrink if not fitted on a doorway.

Tell them to either get it fitted properly before you clean OR get a signed disclaimer saying that " THIS CARPET WILL SHRINK WHEN CLEANED " .

In reality a disclaimer is not worth a shiiit if they decide to take you to court, so be on your guard.

A few years ago a "Nationwide" company cleaned a Belgium wilton in an M E B showroom. They got a signed disclaimer before cleaning -it shrank -off to court- new carpet ! ££££££££££££££££££

Never had a problem getting paid by the council ,but can take a few months ?

Usually ask for an order / job number .

Chris

ps You must have at least one turbo dryer !
Staffordshire