Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Paul Simpson

Chinese Rug Smell?
« on: May 28, 2007, 05:31:03 pm »
Cleaned a chinese rug (1st one) off site at home over the weekend for a customer. Used Prespray Gold, rinsed and finished with a fine mist of Fab/Fibre Rinse.
Rug came up nice & clean and I left it drying as long as possible outside but eventually due to the weather had to bring it into my conservatory.
After an hour or so there was an awful smell coming from the rug and stinking out the rest of house.
Thought it best if I cleaned again (same method) and this time applied a sanitiser and deodoriser but still the same result and have had to put in my garage as I had people visiting yesterday and the smell was awful.
Checked today and still the smell is present. Has anyone else experience this from a chinese rug?
Is it normal until it dries out completely?
Although it looks clean I'd be embarassed to return it to the customer with the way it smells at the moment.

John Kelly

Re: Chinese Rug Smell?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2007, 05:41:32 pm »
Don't worry about it. This is normal and is just the smell of the wool. It will go once dry. Worthwhile investing in an airmover and small dehumidifier to speed the drying of rugs.

Chris R

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2007, 07:49:52 pm »
Although rugs do pong a bit when cleaned I think that the problem that you have is more severe than that ?

I have had it happen a couple of times and it can really stink a house out !

Not sure why, but it smelled like cat pee, although custys did not have pets.

I think that it was something to do with a cleaning solution that the custy used themselves ? Ammonia smell ? Reactivated when we apply water to the rug ?

Each of the rugs defiantly had soap residue in them from DIY type solutions.

It will go once rug is 100% dry ( not just touch dry )

Count yourself lucky, I always clean rugs at the customers home  ???

Chris
Staffordshire

Paul Simpson

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2007, 08:07:44 pm »
Great. Thanks for the re-assurance guys. Will give it a couple of days to dry completely before returning it.

John Kelly

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2007, 10:02:46 pm »
Chris you are right in that some previously cleaned rugs can smell really bad. Usually if they have been cleaned with a high alkaline cleaner.
The smell is caused by the Keratin in the Wool becoming wet. Other proteins in the Wool including Melanin can prevent this. These proteins can be stripped out by high ph cleaners. Also some Wools have a high Keratin and low Melanin ratio which can cause a worse smell even in rugs which haven't previuously been cleaned.
This is the same reason some dogs absolutely stink when wet and others have little smell.

Len Gribble

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2007, 10:27:33 pm »
Could it be down to pore prep?

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

*paul_moss

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2007, 10:29:33 pm »
John
Good answer  ;)
I have found the same some wool carpets have a low odour whilst others have a high smell even after just a prespray.
The smell does disipate as it drys. Just qualify it with your customers when cleaning wo, then you eil be ok.
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk
REMOVED FOR POSTING OFFENSIVE MATERIAL

Liahona

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2007, 11:41:36 am »
Paul, what is the backing?

It could have a glue in or on it that will stink because it is similar to the copy dex we all used to use in school.  Remember the glue with the brush incorporated in the lid?

If it is this the stink, and it does stink, will go as it dries.

Best, Dave.