Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

poles apart

gutter cleaning progress report
« on: May 27, 2007, 08:38:58 pm »
Well I've done quite a few jobs now but not the mix I was after. Just to recap, I purchased a Gutter Keeper vacuumhttp://www.upkeeper.com/gutterkeeper.html a while back as I could see a need for a good system but none were available over here and before someone points out the Omnivac, it hasn't got the suction of this machine and it's hoses are quite small and therefore easy to block.

The Gutter Keeper has got a 5hp Honda motor which gives a 2000 cfm of airflow. The tubing is clear 3 inch so you can see what's going on at the business end.
Several of the joibs I've done had plants and grass growing out of the gutter as they hadn't been cleaned for many years. This was not a problem on most but some of the roof tiles had too much of an overhang into the gutter. The crevice tool could get into these but the growth was held in by the tiles. I had to resort to a pointed implement attached to my gooseneck to free it beforehand. I spoke to Reuben (Ionics. They are now selling these machines in the UK ) about this and I believe they are going to manufacture several different tools to attach to a pole. Obviously these jobs are going to be much easier next time around. I've done several demo's to clients and they've been very pleased with the results.

I also purchased, from Maplins, a remote wireless camera http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=98282&criteria=wireless%20camera&doy=27m5and handheld screen http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=99609&C=Maplin&U=SearchTop&T=CAMERAS&doy=27m5to view the gutters before and after, this also impressed my customers as they could see the results. My ulterior motive was to check the gutters for blockages and to concentrate the cleaning in those areas ;)

I've managed so far to clean up to three floors. I did buy some 2 1/2 inch tubing to go higher but it needs some sort of support which I've not done as yet. I'll most probably use a carbon carp pole to attach it to.
I've spoken to the manufacturers about possible mods to make the footprint of the machine smaller to fit into existing vans alongside tanks etc. and I think this will be available soon. I bought a trailer to house mine but it's just easier for me that way.

The litter pick up feature is also a good tool as I cleared my lawn of rotting embedded leaves very easily.
Altogether I'm very impressed with this machine and next year I'm going to advertise it heavily concentrating on the domestic market as my commercial customers have already signed up to it.
Hopefully you can see some pics below!

No, that's not me...I've got hair!

Bazzy1999

Re: gutter cleaning progress report
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2007, 08:55:02 pm »
Looks like you got a flat tyre at the front?...

DASERVICES

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2007, 08:58:00 pm »
How much did you pay for it, was it cheaper going direct to ewan than ionics

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2007, 09:07:48 pm »
I was very impressed, both by your clear depiction and the tool itself. I was hoping you'd get some informed feed back, because like the chap above all I could really think to ask was how much was it then?

If I had one i'd try to convince my local authority that I could handle any job for a flat call out charge.

poles apart

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2007, 09:46:14 pm »
Yes I have got a flat tyre!
How much did you pay for it, was it cheaper going direct to ewan than ionics
I'm not sure if you can buy it direct now as I think Ionics are going to be the sole distributor.

If I had one i'd try to convince my local authority that I could handle any job for a flat call out charge.

Why not get Ionics to demo to your council, if they didn't like it then you wouldn't have to buy one!

gordonswindows

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2007, 10:56:10 pm »
Well done poles apart.

A clear honest and constructive review of the gutter keeper and your photos demonstrate the whole safety aspect very well.

We bought the omnivac and have made some changes to it. Like you we found it hard to get between the tiles and the gutter but with more practice and a different end piece we are getting better and quicker.

The camera and video are first class , the customers love it and your right its ideal to see where the main blockages are.

Have you made your money back yet?

regards
gordon
Don't Give Up
@askforthemoney

Londoner

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2007, 07:42:19 am »
A very good and very interesting posting Poles Apart. Thanks

Tim Rose

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2007, 10:29:46 am »
PA, how do you cope when/if the bags collects water in it?  Do yo just keep and eye on it and empty it if it gets water collecting?  Perhaps put a few holes in the bag to let water out while retaining leaves and Krud?

poles apart

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2007, 07:40:36 pm »
PA, how do you cope when/if the bags collects water in it?  Do yo just keep and eye on it and empty it if it gets water collecting?  Perhaps put a few holes in the bag to let water out while retaining leaves and Krud?

I just keep an eye on it and empty it as and when. I've suggested a steel bin with a drain tap but that might cause different problems. Apparently some people in the States put the bag outside the bin. Not sure how this would work as I haven't tried it yet.
Rod

Tim Rose

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2007, 08:44:54 pm »
Sounds a bit like a colostomy.  Might be worth looking into.  Or not, if that makes one revulse.

aztec

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2007, 09:10:43 pm »
all looks good but how much!!!!

Tim Rose

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2007, 09:16:41 pm »
all looks good but how much!!!!
A colostomy?  Perhaps £500 privately, but I could do it for £65 if you don't mind travelling to the far east.  Special deal if you order on a regular basis.

poles apart

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2007, 07:20:34 pm »
Another point I forgot to mention is that if you are doing anything over two floors then this is really a two person job as you need someone to push the machine along as you go. The manufacturers have also brought out a 9 hp model which two people can connect hoses to.
Rod

kiral1404

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2007, 08:44:11 am »
Have you manage to suck up any broken roof tiles yet.

Darren

Stevie G

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2007, 07:16:01 pm »
looks the dogs nuts but stop teasing how much!! ;D

poles apart

« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2007, 08:12:46 pm »
Have you manage to suck up any broken roof tiles yet.

Darren
Yes!
looks the dogs nuts but stop teasing how much!!

Not sure how much Ionics are selling them for, give them a ring. It would be unfair to tell you what I paid as I had a good discount ;)

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2007, 08:26:55 pm »
OK, put the question another way.

If i ordered one what would it cost?

Macc

poles apart

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2007, 08:58:40 pm »
OK, put the question another way.

If i ordered one what would it cost?

Macc

I refer you my earlier answer :)
I think they were $5000 from the States but you'd have to check with them.

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2007, 09:34:13 pm »
Opps, missed that,  :-[

DASERVICES

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2007, 09:37:43 pm »
Think Ionics were selling it for around £2700 at the show