Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Cleaner Windows

been a long time!!
« on: April 25, 2007, 11:32:11 pm »
woman phoned up today and wanted a quote for her windows, ive just advertised in a local ad mag which is sposed to be published for may,jun, jul and so thought she was responding to a somewhat early issue of the mag.

turns out she got my number  from a card posted through her door over a year ago which was a bit of freebie advertising at the time, and has kept hold of it since!!
she lives about 5 mins walk away from me too!

doesnt happen too often does it!?
when I'm cleaning windows

texas girl

Re: been a long time!!
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 02:35:37 am »
Hey Denis;

Goes to show; put out lots of bait(marketing)and you will for sure catch some fish(customers)! Way to go! :o

Hugs,

Texas Girl :-*
Debbie

Cleaner Windows

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 06:40:08 am »
Hey Denis;

Goes to show; put out lots of bait(marketing)and you will for sure catch some fish(customers)! Way to go! :o

Hugs,

Texas Girl :-*
thx  :)

Paul Coleman

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2007, 07:00:01 am »
woman phoned up today and wanted a quote for her windows, ive just advertised in a local ad mag which is sposed to be published for may,jun, jul and so thought she was responding to a somewhat early issue of the mag.

turns out she got my number  from a card posted through her door over a year ago which was a bit of freebie advertising at the time, and has kept hold of it since!!
she lives about 5 mins walk away from me too!

doesnt happen too often does it!?

No but it does happen.  A week ago I had a call due to a leaflet I put out around June '05.  I didn't get the job though as he wanted it cheaper.  There was a guy cleaing most of the Close already who had quoted him cheaper.  Apparentlyt he's regular, reliable, and has been around a few years.  I don't mind that as it's much better than not getting it because of a one Summer wonder.

Cleaner Windows

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2007, 07:02:45 am »
ah well....as texas girl would probably tell you, theres plenty more "fish" in the sea!  ;D 
how many do you have on your round mate?

LWC

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2007, 07:11:09 am »
good one mate

i had that last year someone had kept it since the first day i canvassed, 3 years ago!  :o

Paul Coleman

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2007, 07:37:03 am »
ah well....as texas girl would probably tell you, theres plenty more "fish" in the sea!  ;D 

I have 215 customers.  Many of them have something a bit bigger than a 3 bed semi though a few of them are a bit smaller.  It's a good base to build on.

Cleaner Windows

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2007, 07:39:45 am »

I have 215 customers.  Many of them have something a bit bigger than a 3 bed semi though a few of them are a bit smaller.  It's a good base to build on.
how long did it take you to get that many, and how did you go about getting them (sorry for the questions, just trying to build a picture cos im trying to really get going with my new round!)

Trevor Knight

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2007, 07:45:15 am »
Hi Denis,

Drop me an email regarding geting your round built up.

Regards,

Trev
Covering Hampshire, Dorset, Surrey, Berkshire

s.hughes

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2007, 07:45:56 am »
I had a call not so long ago from an add that was 12 years old. I know it was that long ago because it was when I was starting up and not sure what to call my business so I used my initals

Steve

Paul Coleman

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2007, 08:17:11 am »

how long did it take you to get that many, and how did you go about getting them (sorry for the questions, just trying to build a picture cos im trying to really get going with my new round!)

You can't really use my experience as a guide Denis because there were some unusual factors involved.
There was a time that I had nearly 400 customers and struggled to service the round.  Most of it was underpriced too.  It probably took about 2 - 3 years to get to 400 customers - though after the first year, I stopped canvassing and let things happen naturally.  I reckon I canvassed 2 - 3 evenings per week most weeks in the first year.  Also, this was 1991/1992 when interest rates were about 14/15% so many people were struggling with just the basics which must have slowed things down.  Even so, starting from zero, I still turned over about 8 grand in the first year from window cleaning (I had a self employed driving job too that helped - where I went away one week in 4).  Bear in mind that I had no debts or mortgage then and my rent was cheap so I could live on very little.  This meant that I didn't put in as much effort as I otherwise might have done.

Around about 2000/2001, I gave away a load of work in the village of Handcross in Sussex (and a bit in Lower Beeding too) because I moved a few miles further away.  Also, the prices I had down there had become a liability by then.  People were getting big 3 bed semis done for £5 or £5.50 - and many of them had small panes.  Believe it or not, some of them were actually moaning about the price as well.  I had better prices on some of the bigger places but it still wasn't enough.  I didn't charge for the work as it was so underpriced.  That got rid of around 70 or 80 underpriced jobs.  Also, I moved back home to my rented out flat after my house move didn't work out (bad relationship !!) so I let go of much of the work in THAT area too.  I lost a lot of other work when I virtually needed 6 months off work in '04 due to a health problem.  Then I lost some more when I started with WFP.  That was about 5% of what was left either dumped me or I dumped them for excessive moaning or poor access.
It sounds a bit like a tale of woe but it's not like that really.  Nearly all the work I dumped or lost was badly underpriced.
Even after allowing for inflation and the fact that I only work 4 - 4 and a bit weeks of a 6 weekly cycle,  I still earn far more from the 215 customers than I did from nearly 400.  Also I get less headaches because the excessive moaners are ancient history.
I do need to get out there and get some more work in though as a few of my current customers are drifting into "familiarity breeds contempt" mode so I need to freshen things up a bit.
TIP:  DON'T GET TOO FRIENDLY WITH THE CUSTOMERS.  REMEMBER IT'S A BUSINESS.
(caps intentional as I can't overstate this).

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2007, 01:03:50 pm »
Thanks Shiner. Some good insights.

Ian Lancaster

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2007, 03:08:21 pm »
I can go one better:  a few years ago someone stopped me in the street and said "I'd like you to start cleaning my windows".  "Ok, where do you live?"  "XXXXXXX, but I've already had a quote."  Looked it up later in my records: FOUR YEARS PREVIOUSLY :o ;D ;D ;D