This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

M & C Window Cleaning

WFP & cost of water
« on: April 25, 2007, 12:01:29 am »
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum. Recommended by Simon of 'Sherwood Cleaning Services.' Great forum. Been reading for a while now and found a lot of useful info. I'm Soakin' in as much as I can on 'wfp' at moment ('scuse the pun) as I am currently recovering from ankle fusion surgery and should be back at work by latest end of summer. I've been trad for 30 years and loved it, and though my consultant assures me I'll be able to use a ladder again, my recent surgery is causing me to reconsider how I'm going to carry on.

One problem for me, aside from the initial cost of all the wfp equipment, is that I'm on a water meter so it's going to seriously affect my water bills.

Has anyone any idea of the cost of water say if I were using 250-300 ltrs/day for four days a week?

Your input would be greatly appreciated.

Regards to all,

Mark

Paul Coleman

Re: WFP & cost of water
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2007, 04:07:16 am »
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum. Recommended by Simon of 'Sherwood Cleaning Services.' Great forum. Been reading for a while now and found a lot of useful info. I'm Soakin' in as much as I can on 'wfp' at moment ('scuse the pun) as I am currently recovering from ankle fusion surgery and should be back at work by latest end of summer. I've been trad for 30 years and loved it, and though my consultant assures me I'll be able to use a ladder again, my recent surgery is causing me to reconsider how I'm going to carry on.

One problem for me, aside from the initial cost of all the wfp equipment, is that I'm on a water meter so it's going to seriously affect my water bills.

Has anyone any idea of the cost of water say if I were using 250-300 ltrs/day for four days a week?

Your input would be greatly appreciated.

Regards to all,

Mark

Not on a meter myself but I believe it costs about £2 per 1,000 litres.  You would need an RO in your home area as you are from Essex.  Pure water/waste water ratios can vary but maybe you would need 1,000 litres of mains water to produce your 300 of pure.  You could save some costs on your water bill if you are able to use the waste for normal household/garden things.

gsw

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2007, 06:49:44 pm »
hello mate I'm in essex too and on a meter, I use 300 L a day and yes it takes about 1000L to make the 300 L in the tank. So far my water and waste bills have doubled so effectively it costs me £30.00 to get my water (meter) and £46.00 per month for sewerage costs . This includes usage for a 3 bed semi with 2 adults and 2 children. Having spoken to Anglian water about the high sewerage they said the only way around this is to have a sub meter fitted to show exactly what amount of water is used for the business. To be honest I haven't looked into this because I am a lazy git!! if anone else has, advice would be welcome!

greg

M & C Window Cleaning

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2007, 09:02:44 pm »
Hi Greg,

If you don't mind me asking, how many days of work per week do you get for that?

And correct me if I'm wrong but are you saying that your sewerage costs went up as well because you are using more water?

I'm in a 3 bed terraced with wife and three kids and I'm currently paying around £30-35 per month for both water & sewerage so it seems I could be in the same boat as you when it comes to water costs.

Regards,

Mark

clean team

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2007, 09:10:17 pm »
just incase you was wanting to know how to decrease your water bill a water man told me if you take the washer out of the water meter it only reads half of what goes through. if you where going to ask that qustion of course ;) oh and if you do this leave the washer in the bottom cos they can just pop out that way no body gets in to troble

gsw

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2007, 09:44:14 pm »
just incase you was wanting to know how to decrease your water bill a water man told me if you take the washer out of the water meter it only reads half of what goes through. if you where going to ask that qustion of course ;) oh and if you do this leave the washer in the bottom cos they can just pop out that way no body gets in to troble

a mine of information this forum is!!

gsw

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2007, 09:54:04 pm »
Hi mark, I fill up 6 times a week. Basically the sewerage company just look at your water consumption to get their charges, because there is no way of you proving that you are not dumping your water down their drains, and I have argued with snotty nosed cow at the sewerage company, they charge you accordingly.

I was talking to a lady (not snotty nosed!) recently about the sub meter, but to be honest all that is going to tell them is exactly how much water you are using to fill your tanks, i can tell them that because their is a meter on the van! but if you have a sub meter fitted its down to you to pay the installation costs.

In my opinion my water costs me slightly less than £500 per year, not even £2.00 a day! I know of alot of businesses who would chop off an arm for overheads like that especially when the water is a main component of the business.

But if anyone has a better solution I will gladly listen!!

greg

Bazzy1999

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2007, 09:55:24 pm »
Im dreading my water bill when it comes through any day now, ive been wfp for 4 months now and i fill my 1000L static tank up twice a week and evey time i fill it up i stick £10 in a tin and hope it covers it.
Can any of you guys tell me if its enough, based on 50% pure and 50% waste so £10 for every 1000L of pure water..

Bazz...

Paul Coleman

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2007, 10:18:11 pm »

It's totally off topic but I once knew a guy who would shut his gas off, undo the meter, re-connect, and run it backwards.  He had a little mirror on the wall so he could read it.  He got caught out once so pretended the householder was away on holiday and wouldn't let the meter reader in.  He held him up for two weeks.  During that time he had to run it forwards a long way so it looked believable.  It was a boiling Summer and he had full central heating on, gas cooker etc around the clock.
Sounds like a very high risk strategy just to get a lower gas bill.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2007, 10:20:44 pm »
Im dreading my water bill when it comes through any day now, ive been wfp for 4 months now and i fill my 1000L static tank up twice a week and evey time i fill it up i stick £10 in a tin and hope it covers it.
Can any of you guys tell me if its enough, based on 50% pure and 50% waste so £10 for every 1000L of pure water..

Bazz...

I reckon you'll have a bit of change out of that.  Allowing for RO waste that should be about £8 a week.

SherwoodCleaningSe

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2007, 10:30:33 pm »
Hi Mark

Question to all.

I know what waist a 4040 ro unit can give but what about the smaller units. In Basildon the tds is about 400 so to knock out the 300lts of pure how much water would you use on a smaller ro setup?

Simon.

gsw

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2007, 11:16:42 pm »
i thought the waste was governed by water pressure from your feed, my tap pressure is at best 45 psi but most of the time 43, eventually i will get round to boosting the feed and hopefully make the ro work more efficiently. but for now i,m stuck where i am.

M & C Window Cleaning

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2007, 12:15:49 am »
Hi Simon,
and thanks to all for your help. I'm sure there will be more.
If I choose to go this route, as it looks certain I will have to at some point, I want to go in with my eyes wide open to the possible cost of it all.

Mark

chrismroberts

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2007, 06:01:32 pm »
If you catch all the waste in a water butt, can it be purified and reused?

matt

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2007, 06:26:01 pm »
If you catch all the waste in a water butt, can it be purified and reused?

if your planning on doing this, it would be easier to have a RO unit connected to your waste pipe from your first RO, of course the 2nd RO will wear quicker and you will still get waste water, just not as much

chrismroberts

« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2007, 10:36:49 pm »
Great stuff, thanks. Seems a shame to waste it!

SherwoodCleaningSe

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2007, 11:50:50 pm »
I have wast water from the ro split with half going back into the same ro and other half going to drain.  Less expensive than a second ro.

Simon.