Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Sir Squeaky

Pump cycling.
« on: April 24, 2007, 12:11:13 pm »
My pump keeps on stopping and starting.

It's always done it if it's not on full flow, (which annoys me, as sometimes I'd like less flow).

Now it's doing it all the time.
It's going to wear it out quickly, and besides which I can't stand the annoying sound. >:(

Someone said something about the little allen-key screw on the top.
Is that the answer to my problem?

It's a Flojet 100psi, and it could win the Tour-de-France with it's cycling.

Trevor Knight

Re: Pump cycling.
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 12:44:40 pm »
You may have a small leak somewhere in your set up which causes the pressure to drop, hence the pump kicking in?

Check all your connections are watertight.
Covering Hampshire, Dorset, Surrey, Berkshire

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2007, 12:45:35 pm »
Nope, no leaks anywhere.
All fixed.

MartinB

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2007, 01:20:50 pm »
Sounds like the pressure switch is cycling due to the pressure in your system being as high as your pressure switch setting.

Either fit a T piece/Y connector and return some water back to your tank, or better still invest in a Varistream Pump Controller.

Martin

Peter Fogwill

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2007, 01:28:34 pm »
My pump keeps on stopping and starting.

It's always done it if it's not on full flow, (which annoys me, as sometimes I'd like less flow).

Now it's doing it all the time.
It's going to wear it out quickly, and besides which I can't stand the annoying sound. >:(

Someone said something about the little allen-key screw on the top.
Is that the answer to my problem?

It's a Flojet 100psi, and it could win the Tour-de-France with it's cycling.

It sounds like you already have a bypass fitted as you say it is not on full power?  Or does the pump have an adjustable power setting?

It is strange though you would think there is more chance of the pump cycling with the power up higher.

If you don't have a bypass fitted, then just return the water to the inlet side of the pump and not back to the tank, with a valve in between.

Peter

sair

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2007, 01:32:47 pm »

i would imagine you have 100 meters micro bore and the model 100 psi flowjet you have has a bypass unit built into it.  the noise you hear is the bypass kicking in as the bypass is set slightly lower than the pressure switch and is picking back pressure of the micro bore  hense the continual cycling the only way to stop this occurring is either shorter hose length or wider or an intelligent electric controller , but either way its frustrating.

hope thats helpful 

regards tony
Essentially Pure Ltd

SherwoodCleaningSe

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2007, 03:22:02 pm »
I have a flojet and varistream setup.  If you have a varistream connected to the flojet the first thing is bypass the pressure switch.  If the pump still stops and starts then turn the blue dial in the back of the varistream.  You need to make sure that the pump does stop when disconnecting the pole though.

Simon.

If you don't have a varistream then disregard the above.

You wouldn't get this trouble with a squeegee though Rog.

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2007, 04:14:31 pm »
You wouldn't get this trouble with a squeegee though Rog.
You're telling me?! ;D

It all sounds so complicated.
To be honest I haven't a clue what half of you are suggesting. :-\

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2007, 04:55:06 pm »
I haven't got one of them.
It's just a twisty numpty thing in the pipe to the brush.

I thought that tiny screw on top of the pump controlled it's output. ???

SherwoodCleaningSe

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2007, 05:18:31 pm »
Well get one they are really good.

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2007, 06:36:17 pm »
Looks really cheap.
Not. ::)

abacus

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2007, 08:08:27 pm »
Hi Squeaky I turned my back for a couple of months been very busy and youve gone all water fed poley ! has hell frozen as well

get the varistream from williamson pumps had no end of trouble with pumps hunting burns out the pressure switches no trouble for over two years now not cheap but cheaper than losing days on down time

best regards grant
A service you can count on
SAFEcontractor approved

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2007, 08:19:51 pm »
Well Ian's got the identical setup to me, and he doesn't need one. ???

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2007, 08:33:50 pm »
Hi Roger,

As long as you are sure that you have absolutely no air leaks on any of the 'tank to pump' hose then this is how to simply fix your problem.

On the base of your pump is the pressure switch cover (held on with one Philips screw) undo this and remove the cover. Between the two spade terminals you will see another Philips screw. You now need to fine tune this screw setting so that it perfectly matches your set-up. Basically this means adjusting the screw until it stays on when you are using it but switches off when you turn the flow rate off. It sounds like you need to tighten the screw a little so that the switch is not so sensitive. Do this by setting up your hose with a pole connected and turned on. Now tighten the screw a 1/4 of a turn at a time, until it is running smoothly. Once you have got this right turn your pole off and check that the pump switches off within about 5-8 seconds. With a few minutes tinkering you can have your pump running smoothly.

The reason that your system is running differently to Ian's seemingly identical system is that these screws are not always set to the same place at the factory.

Have fun.

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2007, 09:12:08 pm »
Cheers Alex.

I'll try that. ;)

abacus

« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2007, 10:16:52 pm »
Hi squeaky
you dont have to have one its just a lot easyer to turn the flow up and down as you want depending on the job I dont just pay out because I like gismo's they really are worth the money

regards grant
SAFEcontractor approved

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2007, 10:59:27 pm »
You'd have to go back to the van to turn the flow up or down though.
My little controller is on my hose next to me.

Why bother with that? ???

abacus

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2007, 11:23:24 pm »
Hi sqeaky

Idont constantly alterthe set only if the job is very dirty eg set for the normal turn up if the job is dirty turn down if windows are bad and tend to leak would set higher if day is very hot ect not reset for each window throtling back on an ajuster is not good for the pump (according to pump manifacturers) the runs hard against the you restricting it. The varistream controls the flow by by the speed of the motor the sensor speeds up or slows down the motor so less strain on the motor even flow no matter what hight you are working at, pumps do not like varibles eg hose wound some of the time unwound othere brushes up high then low ect the varistream smooths this all out. it will make the pump last longer

regards grant
SAFEcontractor approved

Trevor Knight

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2007, 07:30:27 am »
You'd have to go back to the van to turn the flow up or down though.
My little controller is on my hose next to me.

Why bother with that? ???

Once you set your pressure you leave it alone and don't need to go to the van at all?
Covering Hampshire, Dorset, Surrey, Berkshire

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2007, 08:01:58 am »
Because on some houses you have some new windows, and some leaky ones they haven't replaced yet.

You can't always treat every window the same.
Why am I telling you this? I've only been doing it 3 weeks. ???