Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Tosh

I clean a pub, not a particularly large one; part of the Greene King Pub Company and they've made me sign a contract telling me how I should work.

It's pretty good, mind; though extremely 'anti ladder'.  The document has a lot of lines saying in what instances ladders can be used and how to use them.

I usually work safely anyway and it's basically a method statement telling me not to do daft stuff.  If my scanner worked I'd scan it for you to read.

One of the things it says is:

If the task cannot be undertaken safely - Do Not Do It.

It also cites seven different health and safety regulations, including the Work at Height Regulations 2005.

Are any of you finding that your commercial (or residential) cusomers are getting more H & S aware?

Moderator David@stives

Re: Are your commercial customers getting more Health and Safety Aware?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 06:33:13 pm »
in short "no"

jeff1

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2007, 06:35:02 pm »
The Travel Inns (not Travel Lodge) are starting to do the same, very safety Conscience.

Tosh

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2007, 06:45:11 pm »
According to my document, all ladders MUST be 'footed'. 

It also doesn't say that if a window can be cleaned from the ground, then that's how it should be done.

It's not that good a document!

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2007, 07:52:35 pm »
Hi Tosh.

I'm domestic only but this year it has suprised me how many of my customers are getting more aware of the H & S issues, i've picked up quite alot of work because i'm Wfp & it meets H & S.

Its great because i've dumped alot of lower paying work for it, making more & working less hours.

Macc

dai

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2007, 09:35:51 pm »
When I submit a quote, I always mention the fact that "All work is carried out in full compliance with the new working at height legislation".
I think it could swing the balance in your favour, even if your quote is not the lowest.
Businesses, like everyone else are aware of the claims culture. Dai

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2007, 08:37:29 am »
I wish everybody was concerned.

I lost 3 houses yesterday.
1 who cancelled outright, and 2 who clearly there's no point going back. :(

s.hughes

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2007, 08:59:12 am »
Squeaky is that because you've gone wfp and they just dont like it?

Trevor Knight

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2007, 09:06:56 am »
Hi Tosh,

I believe commercial will be the flagship of H&S as always as they are the fish big enough to fry, Lloyds TSB's recent fiasco for example.

However, as long as you stay ahead of the game and have all your statements, assessments etc.. in place it will become more of a benefit to you, rather than a headache.

Trev
Covering Hampshire, Dorset, Surrey, Berkshire

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2007, 12:08:17 pm »
Squeaky is that because you've gone wfp and they just dont like it?
Yep. ::)

Paul Coleman

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2007, 01:19:25 pm »
I wish everybody was concerned.

I lost 3 houses yesterday.
1 who cancelled outright, and 2 who clearly there's no point going back. :(

And there may well be a few more yet Roger.  The good news is that all the ones who decided to cancel did so in the first three or four months (except one who always was a moaner however I cleaned, so he beat me to it by a week).  It got to the point where I was dreading the cheques coming through the post in case it was another cancellation or "final warning".  I didn't go back to the "final warning" ones as I didn't want to give them the power (not very professional, eh?).
However, what was less obvious was the odd job that I was picking up - sometimes BECAUSE I had WFP and could reach previously inaccesible windows.
I lost about 5% of my old customers.  About half of that was their choice - half of it mine.
In hindsight, some of the problems could have been prevented if I had gone around the first cleans twice.  The problem I had was that, like you, I was under financial pressure and didn't want to do that because I couldn't really charge an existing customer extra for a first WFP clean.  Therefore, I tried to make sure that I did an extra thorough job on the ones I really wanted to keep and took a gamble on the rest.
These days I have less customers but more work and that trend is gradually accelerating.  I have a 6 week cycle that I now get around in 4.  I turn over more money in the 4 than I did in the 6.  I started a lovely job yesterday that I got because of WFP.  I managed to do the lowest quote (because it's Georgian panes) and I work the way they want because it means that I can do it without treading on and breaking their tiles (like their previous window cleaner did).  It should be a pound a minute job now I've done a thorough (and laborious) first clean - though I have to travel a bit.
N.B.  In case anyone jumps down my throat for undercutting - their previous W/C had retired due to ill health and the slot was vacant.

WFP will sort out your customers.
Of all the jobs I lost, I can honestly say that I didn't miss one of them.  Some of them are now paying double to a trad cleaner which shows me what I should have been charging them in the first place.

Davew

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2007, 07:54:44 am »
Rog, how are you getting on with your first cleans? ar you using your superlight kit to do them?

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2007, 08:06:17 am »
Rog, how are you getting on with your first cleans? ar you using your superlight kit to do them?
Certainly am.
I'm having no real problems and enjoying doing it.
Pulling the hose around is a pain sometimes though, and explaining things over and over to customers.
Not taking any crap though. If they grumble they can find someone else.

JohnL

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2007, 06:16:07 pm »
 ;D      ;D
West Somerset. On the edge of the Quantocks and looking at The Exmoor National Park.