Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

tony27

Plumbing r/o unit into water mains
« on: April 21, 2007, 07:51:30 pm »
Is it hard to plumb an r/o unit into the water mains?

Also, does anyone have instructions on how to do it or a link to a website for instructions???

matt

Re: Plumbing r/o unit into water mains
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2007, 08:08:45 pm »
units from RO_MAN comes with a self piercing valve / tap

just put the valve over a 15mm pipe and turn the handle bit, this inturn cuts into the 15mm pipe, then the 6mm pipe just pushs onto the valve and the RO unit, of course if you want to move the RO you will then have to fit a 6mm tap unit to stop the water, buy it at the same time from RO_MAN (cost a quid or so ) and tap it to the pipe so it doesnt get lost

tony27

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2007, 08:21:25 pm »
I was thinking of fitting an r/o under my sink in the kitchen and feeding a pipe through the outer wall into a shed with the tank.

Would this be ok?? 
I know that the r/o units look quite big from photos ive seen so im worried if it would go under the kitchen sink.

matt

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2007, 08:30:34 pm »
I was thinking of fitting an r/o under my sink in the kitchen and feeding a pipe through the outer wall into a shed with the tank.

Would this be ok?? 
I know that the r/o units look quite big from photos ive seen so im worried if it would go under the kitchen sink.

yes, ive seen them fitted under the sink :) ive also helped some1 fit it in the airing cupboard

tony27

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2007, 08:39:55 pm »

Would this be ok?? 

yes, ive seen them fitted under the sink :) ive also helped some1 fit it in the airing cupboard

The airing cupboard sounds good because gravity would feed the water from upstairs into the tank downstairs outside and maybe i could get away with not buying a booster pump.

Worried about what effect the heat of the boiler in the airing cupboard would have on the filters and the membrane though.

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2007, 08:49:22 pm »
The heat would actually help them to perform better.

matt

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2007, 09:49:23 pm »

alex, i know the GPD are worked out in "ideal settings"

the only thing i was concearned with helping this guy fit the RO in the airinf cupboard ( i wasnt doing it in person, it was all via e.mail and the phone ) was legionnaires disease when the RO wasnt in use, as the water temp would be ideal for it

that was my only concearn and i did tell the guy it, but the guy didnt have anywhere else to put the RO ( or so he said )

Peter Fogwill

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2007, 09:57:51 pm »

The airing cupboard sounds good because gravity would feed the water from upstairs into the tank downstairs outside and maybe i could get away with not buying a booster pump.

The booster pump would be used to boost the pressure of the water going into the system, not the water coming out.  By having the system upstairs you would probably need a lot more pipe to the tank, and it would be in the way more.

Peter

tony27

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2007, 10:04:44 pm »

the only thing i was concearned with helping this guy fit the RO in the airinf cupboard ( i wasnt doing it in person, it was all via e.mail and the phone ) was legionnaires disease when the RO wasnt in use, as the water temp would be ideal for it

that was my only concearn and i did tell the guy it, but the guy didnt have anywhere else to put the RO ( or so he said )

surely Legionnaires Disease will not have time to manifest if the water is pumping through the r/o and outside into a storage tank matt....your thoughts on this??

matt

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2007, 10:08:14 pm »

surely Legionnaires Disease will not have time to manifest if the water is pumping through the r/o and outside into a storage tank matt....your thoughts on this??

true, but what happens when you stop the water flow to the RO, say when you have your water stroage full, the water will sit in the RO and filters and thats what my concearn was

tony27

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2007, 10:46:38 pm »
aahhhh, yes it is a disturbing thought....just dont drink it for gods sake....
hahaha.

joking aside though, it is an interesting observation on your part and quite worrying as i use the hot water tap to fill my kettle because the cold water tastes like tcp after it is boiled.

i hope boiling the water kills the Legionnaires.

tony27

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2007, 11:11:45 pm »

The booster pump would be used to boost the pressure of the water going into the system, not the water coming out.  By having the system upstairs you would probably need a lot more pipe to the tank, and it would be in the way more.

Peter
Thanks for that info pete, my cold water pressure seems good but i may need a booster as i dont know what psi its running at.
However the downstairs seems to have higher presure possibly because upstairs in the bathroom the water has to feed vertically from the main line downstairs. What are your thoughts on this??

After some thought and reading youre posts, i think i will go for an under the kitchen sink unit as i will need less pipe and presure seems better.
gotta go with the option that saves money.

Peter Fogwill

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2007, 11:53:13 pm »
It will probably be because the upstairs taps aren't straight from the mains and the kitchen one is. 

Try it without a booster pump first and add one only if needed. 

If you are using a storage tank you should have plenty water for your day even with a 200gpd water treatment system on a lowish water pressure. 

A disadvantage of a booster pump is needing an electricity supply for the pump, you would have the advantage though of using less resin and faster water production.

Peter