Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

DASERVICES

Licensing In England
« on: April 16, 2007, 06:57:14 pm »
Is this coming , have seen a couple of councils add the window cleaning licence but with no data as of yet. If it is then you need to act together to get involved in it to make it work, like the SLWCN is trying to do in Scotland.

Here is one council who seem to have just added this on :-

http://www.shepway.gov.uk/content/view/1079/365/

Re: Licensing In England
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2007, 10:05:07 pm »
I think we need licensing and it would be in all our interests, but I don't think that's the majority view.

At some point the H&S aspect will make it inevatable.

steve m

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2007, 08:48:05 am »
if we had licensing in england it would stop all the doleys and all the east europeans who are uninsured

Central Window Cleaners

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2007, 09:43:40 am »
It will only stop the doleys if it is policed and if the cars without tax and the number of crimes that the old bill don't even both to come out and investigate are anything to go by then can't see it working.

I would love to see it as long as it is policed properly.

Jason Atwell

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2007, 03:48:06 pm »
why cant one of the feds do this????
Fleetwood Window Cleaning Services

DASERVICES

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2007, 05:30:11 pm »
It does not work because people in the council do not have liability with their jobs, they are more like pen pushers instead of taking responsibility for their job unlike people who work in factories. Hence they are never measured on how well they are doing in their job.

The only way it will work if the council are forced to take ownership and liability with their job and have to hit their required targets. For example if they were measured to hit 85% of window cleaners to be licensed then it would work.

But the biggest part is trying to get them to take ownership, and the only way to do that is to get high ranking backup within local government and other powerful organisations. This the SLWCN has already got some powerful backers but will not get involved as the SLWCN have been asked to liase with the councils. The council are ware of this and are slowly responding.

To give you an idea as to how slack they are they feel that there is no issue with unlicensed window cleaners, the you state the obvious how come 60% of window cleaners that advertsie are unlicensed. Oops the penny has dropped but it is not up to the SLWCN to resolve this, it is up to the councils.

If this is resolved then each window cleaner will have the same overheads and then will start running their job as a business and not having to worry about the unlicensed window cleaner coming in and undercutting them. We will all then be able to make a decent living out of window cleaning.

If you get public support behind you then you are onto a winner, this will be coming soon in local newspapers. So unlicensed window cleaners will have to start get their licenses otherwise they could find customers dropping them.

But this is not all we are fighting for licensed window cleaners but to have a fiarer licensing system for example a National licence.

We all know why prices are too low in some areas, if the SLWCN can increase them for window cleaners to earn a good wage then it will be a job well done.

I would like to know your veiws on what would be a good system for window cleaners.

Doug

http://www.slwcn.org/

Paul Coleman

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2007, 05:38:48 pm »
It does not work because people in the council do not have liability with their jobs, they are more like pen pushers instead of taking responsibility for their job unlike people who work in factories. Hence they are never measured on how well they are doing in their job.

The only way it will work if the council are forced to take ownership and liability with their job and have to hit their required targets. For example if they were measured to hit 85% of window cleaners to be licensed then it would work.

But the biggest part is trying to get them to take ownership, and the only way to do that is to get high ranking backup within local government and other powerful organisations. This the SLWCN has already got some powerful backers but will not get involved as the SLWCN have been asked to liase with the councils. The council are ware of this and are slowly responding.

To give you an idea as to how slack they are they feel that there is no issue with unlicensed window cleaners, the you state the obvious how come 60% of window cleaners that advertsie are unlicensed. Oops the penny has dropped but it is not up to the SLWCN to resolve this, it is up to the councils.

If this is resolved then each window cleaner will have the same overheads and then will start running their job as a business and not having to worry about the unlicensed window cleaner coming in and undercutting them. We will all then be able to make a decent living out of window cleaning.

If you get public support behind you then you are onto a winner, this will be coming soon in local newspapers. So unlicensed window cleaners will have to start get their licenses otherwise they could find customers dropping them.

But this is not all we are fighting for licensed window cleaners but to have a fiarer licensing system for example a National licence.

We all know why prices are too low in some areas, if the SLWCN can increase them for window cleaners to earn a good wage then it will be a job well done.

I would like to know your veiws on what would be a good system for window cleaners.

Doug

http://www.slwcn.org/

If licensing is used to keep out the uninsured, dole claiming cowboys then it wouldn't be such a bad thing.  However, whenever a council are given an opportunity to play "control freak", they seem to grab it with relish.  I have misgivings that, eventually, they might try to control how much you can charge like with taxis.  My other main concern is that people like myself who live on the border of three counties (and work in all three), would need three licenses - thus removing the level playing field to which your post alludes.  I currently work in West Sussex, East Sussex, and Surrey.  I have recently had an occasional enquiry from the extreme western end of Kent too which I would visit fior large enough, well paid work.  So that could end up being four counties.

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2007, 05:42:06 pm »
I would be happy to pay if it was enforced but it wouldn't be so i wont be one of the only mugs paying.

Macc

geoffreyspecht

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2007, 05:55:50 pm »
just another way of making money

alwindows

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2007, 06:12:52 pm »
yep it would be a good job if we all had  to be licened it would stop all the cowboys

JohnL

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2007, 10:14:07 pm »
Hells teeth!

. . .   we need a worthwhile NHS, a decent and effective policing system, an instructive education system, better maintained roads, a far better deal for pensioners, controlled immigration, a responsive Government, more affordable homes for the poor, minimum employment levels  -  -  - need I go on?  and yet we want local councils to spend money going out looking for and checking WCers to see if they have a license to work!

I would warrant every WCer on this site started off in a very lowly manner and doubt if any would have qualified for a so-called license.
West Somerset. On the edge of the Quantocks and looking at The Exmoor National Park.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2007, 10:54:10 pm »
Hells teeth!

. . .   we need a worthwhile NHS, a decent and effective policing system, an instructive education system, better maintained roads, a far better deal for pensioners, controlled immigration, a responsive Government, more affordable homes for the poor, minimum employment levels  -  -  - need I go on?  and yet we want local councils to spend money going out looking for and checking WCers to see if they have a license to work!

I would warrant every WCer on this site started off in a very lowly manner and doubt if any would have qualified for a so-called license.

And while they're at it, they should make all new window cleaners sit GCSEs in window cleaning.  The exam should include squeegee angles, brush action and how to put water into a bucket.

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2007, 11:08:14 pm »
That new orginisation, it posted on here, and I asked for their position on this. They were scared and showed no leadership qualities whatsoever. That is why they will fail.

JohnL

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2007, 06:53:56 am »
The Shiner

:)
West Somerset. On the edge of the Quantocks and looking at The Exmoor National Park.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2007, 07:38:16 am »
The Shiner

:)

Couldn't help myself  :)

Trevor Knight

« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2007, 09:11:03 am »
That new orginisation, it posted on here, and I asked for their position on this. They were scared and showed no leadership qualities whatsoever. That is why they will fail.

What new organisation are you refering to? APWC?

If you are referring to the APWC, I personally have not seen an invitation to comment? One thing is for certain, we are certainly not SCARED of answering ????
Covering Hampshire, Dorset, Surrey, Berkshire

JohnL

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2007, 07:22:24 pm »
Tam

Of course not but everyone has to start somewhere.

When you decide to become a WCer in Scotland do you have to take an exam, pass tests, go on proficiency and training courses, do an apprenticeship or city and guilds or do you just get a ladder, bucket, scrim etc and go and do it?

What actually constitutes the right to achieve the holding of a license because as I said before - and you dont have to be a cowboy or be of dubious character to commence self employment and earn an honest living because I just do not see the logic behind the thinking.

DASERVICES

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2007, 07:38:12 pm »
http://www.gloucestershire.police.uk/news/1729.html
http://www.worcesternews.co.uk/news/wnnewsroundup/display.var.1326659.0.police_warn_of_window_cleaner.php
http://www.quedgeley-pc.gov.uk/latestnews.php

John,

Above are just a few examples of many why the licence was brought in Scotland. Also on this forum there have been cases of people stealing work by devious means which against the terms of your licence.

It's there to protect the public and also protects the licensed window cleaner.

Tam, will explain it in more detail.

Doug

dai

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2007, 10:24:17 pm »
I am fed up to the back teeth with new legistlation erroding our rights. I used to pick cokkles [excuse the spelling, makes more sense than thingys] Can't do this anymore without a license. Can't even apply for a licence unless I travel 130 miles to attend a foreshore awarness course. No matter that I have spent the last 60 years playing and fishing on my local beach, Can't launch my boat anymore without paying a whacking great fee to the council every time, or pay £150 for a yearly permit. You will also need to insure your boat. That costs more than insuring my van.
Can't sell the fish I catch now without a license, can't even hold a licence untill I pass a survival at sea course.
If you licence window cleaners, what about gardeners, painters, uncle Tom cobbly and all.
Got to go, I need the loo. If I need a license for that, I'm in the poo. Dai

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2007, 10:32:45 pm »
Yes.

Muddled thinking and a long winded meaningless reply. They want memberships thats as far as it goes.

At least you Scots show some leadership and strategy.