This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Davew

Jeff Brimble
« on: April 14, 2007, 07:01:30 pm »
Jeff, I've taken your advice and ordered a Thompson Reload to try and preserve my Supalight. The idea being that I can bash it around a little more without the worry of expensive damage (some of my work involves courtyards with loads of steps etc.) I want to fix a Gaz Swivel brush to the end so that would mean using an adaptable neck - Gardiners sell them, so I can vary the angle of attack. The problem with the Supalight is that the gooseneck only sits on the pole end as a putover and will therefore spin if you want to try odd angles such as gutter gleaning- a job it's obviously not designed for. Can I fit a threaded taper in the end or will the pole be too weak to take one? Have you found an alternative method, maybe bonding an adaptable neck on as a put over? And finally do I need the Zensorflex top section or can I get by with just the reload. I'm looking at about twenty eight feet max maybe less.

Jeff Brimble

Re: Jeff Brimble
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2007, 08:35:28 pm »
Am pretty sure gaz will come along and give you better advice for fitting the Salmon  brushes as he has done this with his own Modular c/f poles.. Or Alex for the gooseneck. Thats if they are not on hols with this fantastic weather.
Any alu parallel sided goose neck will slide down onto the tapered section and grip at some point I just wrap a few turns of PVC tape to help reduce the wear and let it have some bite.(cut off whats not needed carefully with a hacksaw.) Higher up the tapered section you try to thicken it with tape to match the internal parallel section to help reduce the movement say 6" in. .  I would say the reload section is probably strong enough although I havent seen Alex's goose neck up close. In practice it shouldnt spin and in time will work itself onto the section almost permanently. Thats why I prefer to use the glass sections from the Zensor for cutting fixing and glueing. Then use the adapted piece to fit over a Reload section.
Most c/f poles are lets say 1mm the reload is comparably 2mm composite thickness.
Ps maybe change the topic title to include Gaz and Alex or anyone ?
pps if you do use an alu goose neck check that the internal rough welded seam has been filed down flush.

Davew

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2007, 08:44:02 pm »
Thanks Jeff I knew you wouldn't be far away. I have a small collection of Gardiners goosenecks now. The pole joint only pushes in about six centemetres but thats onto a strengthened top section so I am a little concerned over how strong a normal section would be. I suppose I could bond some of the discarded section into the tip and double the strength, mmm i'll wait till it arrives and get the hacksaw out then. :)

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2007, 10:04:09 pm »
Despite what you may absorb from the negative posts on  forums, the fishing pole when used for our purposes is actually incredibly strong as long as you realise its aproaching its max out point wherever that is ?
I know the Ungers point is 42ft.

Davew

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2007, 08:41:16 am »
I just know my current cf pole is going to go if I continue to use it the way I have this week. It's near perfect if used correctly with plenty of space for cleaning high windows. It's when you get into confined areas where you cant drop the sections off easily or when you end up supporting the pole one handed to pick them up again and I can feel the pole walls give. Some times I have no choice but to lean it against a conservatory roof now and again and with sections at over sixty pounds a go I can't afford to keep taking the risk :-\

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2007, 09:24:25 am »
Hi Davew

I tend to agree with you.  In my usage of the Super-Lite™ I have found that used for the correct work it is unbeatable and more than strong enough to withstand regular use (current one over a year old and never broken a section window cleaning) but in confined spaces and on smaller jobs I nearly always use a different pole.  My choice is either a 12 ft extender pole or an 18ft universal pole which I find very nicely fill the gaps.

I will ring you tomorrow to sort out your goosenecks so that you get the ones best suited for the Bentley brushes (I have been delayed in replying to you as I became unwell at the end of last week).

Davew

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2007, 09:40:29 am »
Hi Alex, sorry your unwell hope your not as bad as Kirsty was. I'm pretty much there with my pole and brush selection. I'm just trying to bridge the gap between my 12'extender and Superlight. I already have the 24' extender type, but really dislike it so it sits ontop my van most of the time. I have been spoilt by the Superlight!