This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Paul Coleman

Re: HSE Document
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2007, 01:18:16 pm »

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/misc613.pdf

Is that the latest word on things?  I thought that misc613 had been superceded by WAHR 2005.

Colin_Glenn

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2007, 01:25:35 pm »
It's very good information. I felt it was very reasonable and thoughtful. I would have liked more direction on the use of Points and 'A' ladders which are more stable and therefore safer than ordinary 'H' ladders. Perhaps direction to use them for window cleaning if ladders are deemed to be the only option by an assessment.

Colin

Transparent Weather Exclusion Systems Technician.

Steve Lowe

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2007, 02:17:31 pm »
Hi Colin
I was at the various meetings etc when i was on the exec council of the fed and was told that the double extension a frame would not meet the regulations. The federation were not interested in discusing it even though most of us that have used them know they are safer than an open top. I myself use wfp 99.9 % of the time but when i need to use a ladder i would far rather use this type of ladder.

Steve
Steven J Lowe MBICSc

Lowes Cleaning Services Limited
www.lowescleaning.com

Paul Coleman

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2007, 04:00:24 pm »
Hi Colin
I was at the various meetings etc when i was on the exec council of the fed and was told that the double extension a frame would not meet the regulations. The federation were not interested in discusing it even though most of us that have used them know they are safer than an open top. I myself use wfp 99.9 % of the time but when i need to use a ladder i would far rather use this type of ladder.

Steve

I find that astonishing that an A frame won't meet the regs.  The trouble is that anyone who hasn't used them thinks of them in the same way that the driver of a 4 wheeled car thinks of a Reliant Robin (3 wheeler) and automatically feels that they are less stable.  Although I don't often use a ladder these days, I would go as far as saying that an A frame is even better for accessing a flat roof.  I say this because the splayed end makes them much harder to blow over when unattended if it's a bit windy.

Steve Lowe

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2007, 05:04:45 pm »
Hi Paul
          The trouble is that all those against them have never used them and they will need to pass the Loughbourough test which i am told they wont due to the possibility of twisting. I used them daily for eighteen years and never had one twist but to be honest i am very happy with using wfp now.

Steve
Steven J Lowe MBICSc

Lowes Cleaning Services Limited
www.lowescleaning.com

Colin_Glenn

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2007, 05:18:33 pm »
But, Steve,

I presume that this dosn't include single 'A' ladders. For example I use a 3.5 meter single section 'A' frame to clean a pub that I do. The feet are so widely splayed that it is impossible to fall over sideways and the ladder has an "hourglass" shape to it to stop twisting.

I could use WFP but it is right next to a major underground station and the hoses would present a serious trip hazard to the public. I do what I can with a pole and squeegee but some of the windows are small and need to be done with cloths. Hence the points. Am I breaking the law?

Colin
Transparent Weather Exclusion Systems Technician.

DASERVICES

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2007, 08:02:30 am »
"acceptance by everyone, including domestic residents, that if they want clean windows they will sometimes have to accept different ways of working and that some windows may need to be left uncleaned if safe access is not possible; l window cleaners adapting to safer ways of working."

This is something that the HSE should now be running campaigns in the newspapers getting public awareness, it's no good being on a website. This message needs to be delivered to the general public.