This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Grafters Cleaning Services

did i do the right thing?
« on: April 13, 2007, 05:48:46 pm »
Did I do the right thing?
I have a policy that if a customer drops me and then asks me to come back to them at a later date I reply with
 “I’m sorry but I’m too busy with my regulars to fit you in”

So I’ve been doing these pensioners flats for about 2 years now and would do about 90% of them
infact a nice little earner, a couple of months ago 4 dropped me for another w/c purely because he was £1 cheaper than me.
Today when I turned up one of my regulars (a nice old dear) tells me that my lost customers are not very happy with the new w/c and she goes on to say that they want you back.
My first reaction was to say s*d off to them but when 2 of them asked me in their sweet little way I buckled under the pressure and gave in and took them back on my books.

But at the same time, it also gave me great pleasure in the knowledge that I have taken away 2 jobs from a guy who undercuts other w/cs just to get the work.

I now wonder if I’ve done the right thing, what do you think
JAY "GRAFTERS"
From Southampton
www.high-shine.co.uk

simon knight

Re: did i do the right thing?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007, 06:00:26 pm »

In my opinion you did 100% the right thing. You'll most likely get the other 2 back as well.

pylofm

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 06:02:10 pm »
Sometimes it seems all too easy to play the hardball but hey they have learned for themselves that you are worth the little extra ;D

JohnL

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2007, 06:05:17 pm »
Of course you have done the right thing!

It staggers me to think that WCers are so full of their own self importance to think that customers cannot give their business to who they want. If the ex customer finds in time they have made a mistake its up to the WCer to decide if he wants their custom back or not and it may be an opportune time to permanently dump some but to just dismiss the possibility out of hand is just arrogance and in this instance of multiple customers could be self harming.

I know there are differing views on this but its a good job for instance that shop keepers dont take the moral high ground attitude!
West Somerset. On the edge of the Quantocks and looking at The Exmoor National Park.

scrimit2

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2007, 06:11:37 pm »
I think you did the right thing, it would have been nice if you said "of course I will take you back on, but now I have a minimum charge for new customers" at a bit more than you charged before.

scrimit

simon knight

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2007, 06:17:14 pm »
I think you did the right thing, it would have been nice if you said "of course I will take you back on, but now I have a minimum charge for new customers" at a bit more than you charged before.

scrimit

I'd agree with you if these were Yuppies trying to be clever...but they're old dears trying to save a few bob (bless 'em) ...don't be heartless :'(

steve k

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2007, 06:26:06 pm »
absolutely no comparison John...shopkeepers buy at a price and know they have a minimum sell on price...we do not. If someone came along and set up shop next to your local newsagent and started selling cigarettes etc at below the market value...your local shopkeeper would go bust.
We provide a service that WE put a price on.
If we laid down and allowed customers to pick and choose, NO_ONE would earn anything other than a survival income...the undercutters would rule the rounds and the image of the down at heel window cleaner working for peanuts would return after so many efforts to replace that image with a professional service with a price on quality.
The day you let your customers debate price and frequency with you is the day you lose that customer.
It`s not self importance, I can assure you...it`s business sense....and common sense.

brightnclean

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2007, 07:02:43 pm »
Of course you did the right thing and I would have done exactly the same.

You have to weigh up each situation on its own merits. In this case you would be nuts to have a high and mighty attitude and turn away good custom.

Like JohnM I can hardly believe some of the stuff I see on forums about being dropped by customers and then not taking them back on if asked to do so. If the price is right and a customer wants you back then take it as a compliment. As long as the work meets my minimum price then I take it back on. Usually charging 50 to 100% more for the first re-clean to get it back up to standard.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2007, 07:10:14 pm »
absolutely no comparison John...shopkeepers buy at a price and know they have a minimum sell on price...we do not. If someone came along and set up shop next to your local newsagent and started selling cigarettes etc at below the market value...your local shopkeeper would go bust.
We provide a service that WE put a price on.
If we laid down and allowed customers to pick and choose, NO_ONE would earn anything other than a survival income...the undercutters would rule the rounds and the image of the down at heel window cleaner working for peanuts would return after so many efforts to replace that image with a professional service with a price on quality.
The day you let your customers debate price and frequency with you is the day you lose that customer.
It`s not self importance, I can assure you...it`s business sense....and common sense.

I reckon you've got it about right there Steve.  Deciding whether or not to ditch a customer or whether to take one back is a BUSINESS decision and nothing to do with self importance etc.  I have taken customers on for a second time (and even a third time in a couple of cases) when it has been financially beneficial to do so.  However, if an ex-customer who messed me around for money or slowed me down with persistently poor access asked me back, I wouldn't do it.  That's a business decision - NOT petty revenge.  In fact, when I have found someone to regularly be a difficult customer, I have even failed to get the last payment from them sometimes because if I lose £20 from a bad payer, I will soon make that up and more from a new good payer.  Sometimes it costs more to pursue debt than it's worth.  It's easier just to canvass a new, better customer.

brightnclean

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2007, 07:52:33 pm »
Well said Shiner.

What I really meant but much better put  :-[  :'(

I offer a price for my services and it's then up to the customer to accept it or not. If they are good payers and dont mess me around then I am happy to take them back if I've lost them to a cheaper service that doesnt deliver. I find that these ones usually turn out to be very loyal after that.

bumper

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2007, 07:53:15 pm »
Now they know they can mess you about,and a soft touch, it will be can you leave them this time,then you will kick youself and turn the air blue,been there done that. >:(

jeff1

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2007, 08:36:16 pm »
You did the right thing, but I always add into my conversation that I will on this Occasion , but I won't do it again.

The only ones I refuse to take back are the pain in the a**e type customer, you know the type I mean. ;)

matt

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2007, 09:03:09 pm »
i lost a customer about 3 years ago, i was then working with the mother-in-laws partener and he was rude and the lady didnt like it

i was the 1 who did all the paperwork and the accounts and the "customer stuff"

anyways, wednesday, she asks me to take her back on

i explain, im fairly busy and not sure if i can

she then says "please"

so i put a 3 quid on the price and take her back on

she asks why its gone up, i explain, its my new pricing and the price has risen a bit

afterall is business, we cannot really turn down work because they once cancelled us

JohnL

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2007, 11:01:04 pm »
steve k

agreed, but a lot of us do shop on an overall quality level as well as price   :)
West Somerset. On the edge of the Quantocks and looking at The Exmoor National Park.

tacky

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2007, 11:17:27 pm »
well done a true gentleman   i nominate u widow cleaner of the month  at the end of the day she addmitted she made a mistake  and had the best guy back

DASERVICES

« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2007, 11:32:41 pm »
You did the right thing there as I feel for old pensioners if they do not have the money, I also do a lot of odd jobs for them as it makes me mad when I see them get ripped off by bogus traders. Tomorrow I am lobbing a tree down and just charging petrol plus disposal costs.

As you know if you do a good turn for them then they will inform everyone  ;D

I'm up to my neck in work now any turning loads away, window cleaners are giving up in my area as the window cleaning licence is being enforced. Makes you wonder, the only person who will fail a licence is if they are a risk to the public.

steve k

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2007, 02:29:31 am »
David,
of course you are run off your feet if you are doing work for nothing... ???
Is your philanthropic attitude reflected in your window cleaning pricing as well?

When we start out, we have a choice as to the customers we wish to target.
We can go the council estates or the bungalow/pensioner estates where we can rely on volume of work at a low price. These people cannot afford high prices and simply would not pay it...so you end up with hundreds of low paying customers. You work long hours, have a bursting round but earn an averagely decent income.
These customers would more likely consider dropping you if someone was knocking doors/leafleting offering to do the work cheaper and these type of areas are where most drink money, summer only window cleaners will canvass and undercut as they are most comfortable in this cheap quote arena.

If you target high income owners in large properties...these people are not interested in saving a pound or two or shopping around. They are after quality...this is why they shop at M+S for their food and not seen bargain hunting in the local Netto.
The fly by nights are not comfortable knocking on these accounts and quoting £20/£25 plus and the owners would smell a rat if they were to answer a knock at the door to find a stranger offering to clean their windows for a few pounds.
If you set out to gain the custom and trust of the high income family...your work will be judged on the quality, your reliability and your apparent level of professionalism inferred by your appearance, equipment, contact details and insurance details etc being made available to the customer.
These customers are also the people whose carpets and exterior areas are too large for them to clean themselves so there is an opprtunity to sell more services to these people during each season of the year. They already know and trust you and will pay well for your services.

These are the people whose windows you want to be cleaning.

John, if people shop on price factor alone, they are happy with poor quality.
If people want quality, they will only shop at certain outlets...these outlets price high but attract high income customers who are prepared to pay high. If a customer walked into this shop and started haggling, they would probably be asked to leave.
If you were to take your family for a restaurant meal, would you look at the window menu and go pale at the prices and keep looking elsewhere until you found somewhere cheap enough. If you did, you cannot expect a high quality of food preparation or service and the experience will probably be very uncomfortable with you vowing to never go there again...for a memorable meal prepared with the finest ingredients by a well paid and reputable chef presented to you by attentive, well trained staff in beautiful surroundings, you are going to have to pay for this level of quality and you will be happy to do so.
Social economics and politics dictate that there are whole communities whose families are surviving on a low income, who can only afford to shop at discount stores and a family meal is more than likely to come from the local chip shop or McDonalds...I would love to be able to sort out the politics that keep these people in the same financial struggle generation after generation...but I cannot.

From a business perspective, however, I would NEVER attempt to build a round in these type of areas.

bluesteve

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2007, 08:43:49 am »
well said steve k well said , could nt of put it better myself,just what i think however im not as eloquent as you!
"Soldier an' Sailor too" !

Grafters Cleaning Services

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2007, 10:02:10 am »
thanx for all your replies guys,
it would seem that most of you would have done the same thing ;)
JAY "GRAFTERS"
From Southampton
www.high-shine.co.uk

Paul Coleman

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2007, 01:04:03 pm »
You did the right thing there as I feel for old pensioners if they do not have the money, I also do a lot of odd jobs for them as it makes me mad when I see them get ripped off by bogus traders. Tomorrow I am lobbing a tree down and just charging petrol plus disposal costs.

As you know if you do a good turn for them then they will inform everyone  ;D

I don't wish to sound uncharitable but them informing everyone of such generosity is just what I wouldn't want to happen.  I've worked too cheaply in the past and I still have some work that needs big increases or dropping/passing on.  I don't intend to keep underselling myself.  I can't afford to work that way any more.