This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

D.Salkeld_Ltd

Spotting - My opinions!?
« on: April 12, 2007, 09:03:49 pm »
Hi folks,

There are always a few posts about spots left after WFP.

My opinion is:

After you have checked the usuals
TDS,  Scrub well, Rince, rince, rince.

Then there are the occasion when the odd spot or 2 is left.

The main thing is;  Do the customers notice?
No....then don't worry the odd spot won't hurt anyone.

99% of the time WFP is near perfect.  The other 1% usually the customer doesn't notice or we can solve it or.......................... we have to accept defeat >:( :o

I passed a job on to a Trad WC this week because there were a few spots and the water went under the door :o :o  I had to accept defeat ::)

David
Not Perfect - But Honest

GAZZA B

Re: Spotting - My opinions!?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2007, 09:05:53 pm »
David,

You are spot on!

GAZZA

Londoner

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2007, 08:12:39 am »
Its the first clean that counts. Thats when the customer goes round looking for trouble afterwards. Provided that is OK you are accepted.
One little tip that won't go amiss. In a lot of houses the kitchen sink is positioned in front of a window looking out over the garden.
That is the window that the lady of the house stands in front of for hours at a time. Any imperfections will be noticed, that window must be perfect.

simon knight

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2007, 08:33:39 am »

The 3 windows I always try to get perfect are the Living room, main bedroom and the kitchen.

D.Salkeld_Ltd

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2007, 09:04:29 am »
Vince and Simon,

Exactly!!!!

First Cleans.
Main bedroom, Kitchen and Livingroom!

Failing that :o

Be Honest and bow out gracefully ;)

I have a job at the moment I did 2 months ago 1st clean - good peolple - known them for years.
Callled last month, builders next door, left them, dust every where.  However the lady did say the back windows were all runny and I appologized and she aggreed to give it another chance next month.
Fri I turn up.  Turned up to flow. I noticed the back windows (Kitchen and lounge!!) were in poor repair AND the paint was a bit milky (the water was milky when washing) so I rinced like mad.  I told the lady not to pay yet and I will call back Mon to see if they are OK if she is satisfied pay me and away we go.  If not the don't pay and I will pass on to the Trad guy in the street.  Problem solved either way ;) ;) ;)

David
Not Perfect - But Honest

simon knight

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2007, 01:20:41 pm »

I think we all get a bit paranoid that we've got to do a 100% job....bullpoo!!...       If they have their car cleaned for £10 at Asda it won't be 100%....have their carpet cleaned it won't be 100%....have their house painted it won't be 100%....have their patio cleaned it won't be 100%...and customers accept this!

We do our best and any customer looking for "100%" from their w/c is unreasonable and unrealistic.

Any customer of mine who looks hard enough will find the odd smear or line because I can honestly say that not once ever have I gone away leaving their windows 100% perfect.

TVCS

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2007, 10:29:55 pm »
I did a house today, 80% of the windows are brand new upvc.  The last 20% are old wodden things.  LAst time I did this house he told me he wasnt happy due to some runs being left after our last clean.  I apologised about this and said that it must have been on the wooden windows.  It was.  He said he would give us 1 last chance. (the cheek of some people!)
Sinse then on the wooden windows I squeegee off the water after I have rinsed.  No Problemo. 
I used to get really worried about spots and customers complaining but I have only ever had 2 complaints and I havent lost any work.  At the end of the day none of my customers seem to inspect their windows that closely.  I told one lady who had noticed some spots that it shows how dirty the glass was before it was cleaned.
Ant
TVCS
Veni, vidi, vino, splatus.

(I came, I saw, I drank, I fell over...)

Londoner

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2007, 08:32:05 am »
Some window frames are very milky and its obvious but others are only a bit milky so you don't notice it but it still has an effect.

I think there are more like that than we realise.

Ian_Giles

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2007, 09:25:27 am »
We all know (if we are honest) that WFP isn't as consistant as trad, but the more experinced we get, the more we work out which are the problem windows, how to identify them and the best way to rectify any problems.

Brand new windows, painted wooden ones or UPVC ones are fantastic, these should come up near perfect every time.
But over time, the windows facing south suffer from oxidisation, doesn't matter whether they are painted or UPVC.
Every house I do, on the side sides of the house that are exposed to the sun I check the frame of one or two with my finger,
If they have began to oxidise then the frame will get a cursory wipe, and the glass a thorough one.
With UPVC, the glass is bedded in with a rubber seal (usually), this at least allows you to wash right up to the seal, and even with an oxidised frame you should still be able to do a top job.
On wooden windows it isn't so easy of course, if the oxidisation is really bad I'll sigh to myself and spend ages on a first clean really scrubbing the frames, I'll do several windows and then go back and start over just doing the glass.

On upstairs windows..tough...the customer can like it or lump it >:( but on the downstairs windows I'm happy to go back over them with a squeegee.

Technique isn't that important, I'll happily use a microfibre to wipe the squeegee and just swipe & wipe, not bothering with 'fanning' at all
You don't need to detail, so it is only seconds a window.

but mostly I get it just about ok with WFP, I only have a handful of windows where I need to go back over them with the squeegee.

Though I'll bet that on most houses that any of us do, there will be a pane or two that have spots, not many perhaps, but if you were doing the insides you'd notice them.
Having said that, if you have trad cleaned a house on the outside, and then have to go on and clean the inside, you will more than likely come across a pane or two that have smears, a little run, or a line or two from the squeegee.

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

matt

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2007, 09:51:20 am »
We all know (if we are honest) that WFP isn't as consistant as trad, but the more experinced we get, the more we work out which are the problem windows, how to identify them and the best way to rectify any problems.

thats exactly right Ian, Its not intill you clean the insides aswell that do you realise that WFP isnt 100%, i do a fairly large house and she has the insides done every other time, i often see on 1 of the windows a run of dirty water spots (only about 4 or 5 little spots in a row ), now ive done this windows for 4 years now, i dont know where they come from, they are not on the same windows and most times they have no spots

the customer accepts the odd spot

on the flip side, when the sun is at a certain angle, you can see sqeegee turns aswell, so i guess you cannot win

as far as im concearned, its about having Cleaner windows

john tomkins

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2007, 09:54:10 am »
Good write up Ian.
If it were down to sheer determination to get the windows spot free, then all mine would be spot free, unfortunately it doesn't work like that, like you say go inside the house and you will generally find the odd spot or two, those that say "mine always come out perfect" are dreamers ;D
Fortunately customers have other things to worry about in life than checking every window minutely for faults  ::) and a near 100% job will hopefully keep them happy enough to not complain ;)

Davew

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2007, 07:45:58 pm »
Thats a relief I've not done a perfect window in two hundred cleans or more wfp I can't even get my own perfect. However from a few yards away they look superb. I think most customers are only looking for the overall appearance and if they look gleaming they are happy.