This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

tony27

need help on pricing
« on: April 11, 2007, 10:55:29 pm »
Hello, i am thinking of starting up part time to tie in with my other job, but need help with pricing.

Im live on the border between south yorkshire near doncaster and north nottinghamshire.
after reading through the forums i have decided that 50p a window (frame) sounds reasonable, but that would price a 3 bed terrace on a council estate at £4.50 and i know that other window cleaners working these estates are charging £3.50 no wiping of sills or frames and in two man teams, i know it takes them about 10mins each house but that seems like working for sod all after expenses etc.
I would like to charge £5.00 for a 3bed terrace and maybe knock out 3 an hour for £15 quid per hour.
I will be targeting new build houses or nearly new private houses and afluent areas to try and get a better price.
Can someone give me a good price list for houses 2bed 3bed 4bed 5bed etc in my area or price per window frame.

williamx

Re: need help on pricing
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 11:19:02 pm »
Tony
Welcome to the wonderful world of window cleaning.

At first when cleaners start up they have a habit of charging to low a price, after they have been in the trade a while and they start to build a round they find that they can charge more and their customers are quite happy to pay these higher prices because they understand that its costs a lot of money to be self-employed.

You are working on earning £15.00 per hour which at first glance seems a lot of money, but its not when you take some of these factors into consideration.

Buying and maintaining a vechicle
Road Tax
Mot
Breakdowns
Insurance
Petrol/diesel
Insurance
Equipment
Advertising
Clothes or uniform

You also have to factor in bad weather, sickness and customers who say next time please.

If your customers were to call in a trades person to fix their washing machine, tv, plumbing or any other services that we all need in life, then they would expect to pay a call out charge of at least £25 to £50 and that before they have started on any work which will be charged extra for.

Well window cleaners do a service too so why can't they charge something higher than the old rates which some cleaners are charging.

I now charge a minimum fee of £10.00 this would even apply if I only had 1 window to clean, many of my friends thought I was mad when I suggested this figure, but my customers don't object as I do a good job and that's what they are paying for.

Forget what the other cleaners are charging.

Remember its is easier to clean 5 houses a day at £10.00 than it is to clean 15 houses at £3.50.

tony27

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2007, 05:59:25 pm »
i dont think folks on a council estate will pay a tenner when they can get their windows done for £3.50.

However, i have a weekend job so im not in any hurry to build my round by underpricing myself... will try more afluent areas first and go for a higher price.

Youre right that 5 houses at £10 is alot less hasstle,and i wouldnt need many to make it pay.

captain lard

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2007, 06:51:18 pm »
If you can take your time and pick your work up at the price you dictate you will be better off in the long run maybe than going in hard now and canvassing for a quick start but at lower prices which would mean more attractive prices for potential customers.
I look back now and see where I made a lot of mistakes price wise but I didnt feel I could take my time to develop and also did not believe potential customers would take to prices higher than currently charged by previous cleaners.
You need to stress the benefits you might have to offer.
Being legit, insured, reliable, regular, professional, trustworthy. This can all help justify your higher pricing policy. You are then pointing out why you cost more and what you might have over rivals.
I think if you offer WFP cleaning this can also help you explain higher pricing by the fact you have a greater outlay for such equipment and it is potentially safer than ladders and offers easier access. Trad doesnt allow you the access WFP might.
I have been pondering a WFP option to try and then be a bit more adventourous with my own pricing.

williamx

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2007, 09:48:40 am »
i dont think folks on a council estate will pay a tenner when they can get their windows done for £3.50.

I have many council customers and they don't bat a eyelid at my prices, the ones who seem to haggle the most are the ones who live in the posh houses, they are all skint, because they morgage themselfs to the hilt and don't have any money left over.

Chris Cottrell

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2007, 12:40:55 pm »
Williamx most people on council estates probably dont have a mortgage!!

Chris

need a cleaner

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2007, 01:33:45 pm »
Hi , sorry if im being out of place but we just thinking in adding window cleaning to our services and would apreciate any help we could get with a price estructure,and since Chris Cottrell is not that far from our area we  would ike to ask if you could point us on the right direction, thank you.
 ??? ::)
btw, we are going to use WFP.

newbroom

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2007, 06:53:49 pm »
Have you bought a wfp machine yet hugo

need a cleaner

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2007, 07:55:22 pm »
yes just waiting for delivery now ::) :P

need a cleaner

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2007, 08:04:34 pm »
Have you bought a wfp machine yet hugo

where are you located newbroom ?

williamx

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2007, 09:40:03 am »
Williamx most people on council estates probably dont have a mortgage!!

Chris

Chris

Most of them don't work ether.

tony27

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2007, 08:16:16 pm »
the council eastates near me have alot of ex tennants who bought houses cheaply and these people will not pay 10 quid for a window cleaner as they can get em done for 3.50 by the underpricing idiots who are doing the rounds.

regardless of whether these blokes have insurance or a legit business, the customers dont seem to care, all they are interested in is the cheap price.

stuff them, i'll get customers elsewhere for a price im happy with.

thanks to all who replied.

geoffreyspecht

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2007, 06:10:01 pm »
find customers that will pay a tenner simple

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2007, 08:57:45 pm »
You won't get good prices in council estates or any grubby areas really.
Like people have said, there's more window cleaners doing it cheaper in those places and customers don't have so much cash to burn either.

I generally only do nice villages.