This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Londoner

Shop Windows
« on: April 09, 2007, 08:05:36 am »
I have recently taken on a shop, never done shops before. Its a hairdressers with a big plate window and a glass door. They want it cleaned inside and out.

She said the last window cleaner charged £10. Is that about average? If so I think I will canvass up a few more shops because its money for old rope.

The last window cleaner disappeared without saying he was going. If thats the case there will be other shops in the area without a WC.

Chris Cottrell

Re: Shop Windows
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 08:38:37 am »
sounds good to me, althought remember shops are very competitive there are 6 of us that do shops in my small town which keeps us on our toes

Chris

NWH

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 10:55:01 am »
Shops are good to get you going first thing in the morning but don`t rely on them to much,as the last post says there are many wcs wanting this type of work so it can get competetive you get some wcs doing them for next to nothing.

Mike_G

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2007, 11:00:44 am »
No that is not average. A couple of quid maybe 3 might be nearer the mark but if you can get that much then great and if there are any more shops there see if he done them as well it might be a nice little earner for you.

Londoner

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2007, 11:12:04 am »
I was always told that shops were all sewn up around here and if you try to break into that sector of the business you might as well buy some crutches and start practicing with them now because it won't be long before you will need them for real.

For that reason I have stayed well away but now it seems things have changed.

Trevor Knight

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2007, 11:20:29 pm »
I was always told that shops were all sewn up around here and if you try to break into that sector of the business you might as well buy some crutches and start practicing with them now because it won't be long before you will need them for real.

For that reason I have stayed well away but now it seems things have changed.

WOW!!! glad we don't work in your area as things would really get messy.

Business premises like shops etc are just like us, a business. We look for competitive suppliers, cheaper insurance etc... so why can't shops do the same? I am not saying go out and deliberately undercut the competition because that is asking for trouble. However, there is no law saying you are no allowed to visit and leave a card or give a quote!

We canvass EVERY commercial premises on a calendar basis at least once a year within our areas.
Covering Hampshire, Dorset, Surrey, Berkshire

Ian_Giles

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2007, 06:25:42 am »
A tenner is way above the average!! :o
I do an identical shop front...and thats a hairdressers too! ;D
I charge £3.50 for the outside, and I get a nosebleed everytime I do it cos the price is so good, it's almost embarrassing collecting the money!

If this shop was in the middle of all my other shops I'd be charging £2.50 (my mimimum charge for any shop) and even then it would be a total doddle, but I have to travel a mile to a small cluster of shops to clean it, and I only have a couple of these shops to clean.

Most shops are highly fought over (not litterally I might add!) and often, if they have a regular cleaner, they stick with them.
Mostly, prices are tight, and any saving are around the 50p mark if they swap to someone else.
Lets face it, if you are charging a shop only £3.00 for their shop front, it ain't easy for someone to come along and undercut you.
Usually the prices are cheap because you have loads of other shops nearby and when you have them in clusters they are good money....
But if you only have the odd one, then it can be a real bind, unless it is right on your doorstep.

Work beckons..a single pub, 15 miles away :-\ .........good money though ;)

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

* mike RH

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2007, 08:05:48 am »
Do they want you to do the mirrors as well? Maybe that could be the reason for the price. Although I don't think £10 is that high if its the only shop you have there and you are making a trip to do it.

Watch out for when you are doing the inside of hairdressers, especially the mirrors - you'll get hair on the applicator and rubber blace and it slows you right down having to wash all the hair off.

007 or what

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2007, 09:03:45 am »
If you do a good job and always be friendly and hold the doors open for custy coming in you will keep the job i have 2 shops one quite large the other normal i've had them since i started 2  1/2 years ago 1st one is £12 in/out the other is £10 in/out i dont beleive they would drop me just to save a couple of quid.

And there great earners  ;D

tonyoliver

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2007, 10:17:49 pm »
 :-[i get two pounds a stupid shop no profit in it all will chanfe when i get wfp soon  good news can clean even in wet trad and cash

tacky

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2007, 10:32:55 pm »
hi i have been asked to quote a aldi store  8 front windows. side entrance doors inside n outside takes about  1hr 30mins   1 person .is 25 resonable

NWH

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2007, 10:41:12 pm »
I would say more like £45-£55,£25 is far to cheap.

JM123

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2007, 12:55:56 am »
I try and price commercial work at 75p per minute or more.

90 mins = £67.50
Live life in the fast lane.......if you break down you'll freewheel further

Ballymena N.I

NWH

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2007, 03:34:01 pm »
That`s more like it,them kind of shops are a bit different to your normal high street.

tacky

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2007, 11:12:05 pm »
hi all thanks for the advice on the aldi stores  i was olso cleaning glass on 8 freezes  for 3 yrs untill i was under cut by win cleaner doing   other area aldi stores he was charging 16.50 per store   nice people about  but then its a cut throat buisness  id rather break my arm than under cut  but thats me ol muggins

colley614

« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2007, 04:11:48 pm »

Watch out for when you are doing the inside of hairdressers, especially the mirrors - you'll get hair on the applicator and rubber blace and it slows you right down having to wash all the hair off.

Yeah and its a pain in the backside trying to explain to the wife why your clothes are covered in hair  ;D