This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

DASERVICES

Working with WFP in the wind
« on: March 30, 2007, 04:11:54 pm »
SPOTS, SPOTS, SPOTS!!!

The wind contaminates the water and that's a FACT.

Found out good and proper today, cleaned the outsides of a house today then did the insides. The side facing the wind all the windows dried with spots, had to do them again WFP.

Something new I have learnt today but not surprised.

Doug

Sir Squeaky

Re: Working with WFP in the wind
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 04:26:54 pm »
Hmmm.
Ian Giles demonstrated a house to me a few weeks back, and when we went back to have a look it was hideous.

That was in the wind.
I thought going from trad to wfp would give more scope for working in bad weather... ???

What with this and my concerns in the "WFP at last" thread, I'm scared now. :-X

Paul Coleman

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2007, 04:34:47 pm »
Hmmm.
Ian Giles demonstrated a house to me a few weeks back, and when we went back to have a look it was hideous.

That was in the wind.
I thought going from trad to wfp would give more scope for working in bad weather... ???

What with this and my concerns in the "WFP at last" thread, I'm scared now. :-X

Rog.  You will be OK.  I had a real baptism of fire with WFP and I came through in the end - not without stress though.  In a few months time you will wonder what the problem was.

Trevor Knight

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2007, 04:35:17 pm »
An interesting thought and something I have not experienced yet?

Will take a look next time its blowing a gale!
Covering Hampshire, Dorset, Surrey, Berkshire

Tosh

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2007, 04:42:28 pm »
I agree; WFP pole accounts done during really windy days don't come up as good as they normally do.  A breeze doesn't affect them; so don't worry too much.  It needs to be REALLY windy.

Even then, it's not too bad.  I recently cleaned a high 1st floor office block with a WFP during a really windy day, then went inside and cleaned the other side of the glass with a squeegy.

There were spots and runs, particularly on one side of the building; but they weren't too bad either. I have low standards, and luckily enough, so do most of my customers. ;D

Cleaning WFP in the rain causes no quality problems; but the wind definately does.

Tosh

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2007, 06:43:06 pm »

Trev,

I'm surprised, given your experience, that you've not noticed this before.

macmac

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2007, 07:19:36 pm »
not supprized at all, common sense really. its either blown back up from sill or dirt in the air has stuck to it.

tony

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2007, 07:26:52 pm »
On some jobs one thing I have noticed.There are two sides to a house one is the windy side that gets the rain and stays cleanish the other is the vacumm side that sucks the wind and dirt back on the glass usually. Its this dirty side that can cause problems because they are dirtier and need a bit more rinsing. It paticulary applies to sea side and town centres that have strong prevailing winds.
Hope this helps.

SherwoodCleaningSe

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2007, 08:17:09 pm »
Mind you I'd rather be at the bottom of a pole in the wind than at the top of the ladder.

Simon

john tomkins

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2007, 08:27:50 pm »

There were spots and runs, particularly on one side of the building; but they weren't too bad either. I have low standards, and luckily enough, so do most of my customers. ;D

Excellent Tosh, that one had me laughing ;D

Ian_Giles

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2007, 11:01:53 pm »
Strong wind is a curse, particularly if there are things such as high shrubbery, fences, garages, trees and so on close by, and of course the shape of the lay of the land and nearby buildings causes vortexes that cna swirl the wind around.

so it isn't just the wind itself...it's the prevalent conditions in relation to the windows yo uare cleaning.
And it does affect WFP more than trad in that respect.

But only on very windy days.

On the house Roger mentions, the back windows were perfect, but the front ones were awful :-\
If he hadn't been there, and we hadn't been yakking for ages I'd have not gone back to check them over.
Was glad I did though,as it allowed me to give them another quick going over to correct them

As Tosh said, rain really isn't much of a problem at all (unless it is driving rain in heavy wind), neither is damp or foggy weather, the kind that have you chewing your scrims in frustration cos the water keeps 'bleeding' back out from the edges of the window, or on georgian stuff the frames and glass stay so damp you go through scrims like ther is no tomorrow!
But the wind....ahh the wind, some accounts you will be fine on...others you won't! :-\

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

Trevor Knight

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2007, 07:05:38 am »

Trev,

I'm surprised, given your experience, that you've not noticed this before.

To be honest Tosh, I can only go by my customers feedback? As you know I am office based and not out on the rounds so unless we get complaints I am not aware of these issues. I haven't noticed complaints due to wind?

Am always willing to learn and thats what makes this forum so good. Learn something new everday!

regards, Trev
Covering Hampshire, Dorset, Surrey, Berkshire

newpy

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2007, 01:47:19 pm »
I have experienced problems with this on one job, there are about 12 big air conditioning fan units which causes a massive swirl of wind. The windows in this area never really dry perfect, but you can't win them all! They couldn't even get a cherry picker in there anyway, so there is no other choice! I do not work in gales it's not worth the strain on the armies. :)