This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Glen

Using an extension pole
« on: March 30, 2007, 10:10:58 am »
I purchased a pole in order to clean windows above canopies to avoid having to walg on the roof.

The procedure I used is as follows: From the top of the ladder (at canopy gutter level)  I applicated the windows using the pole. Problems arose when I attempted to squeegie the windows as when I got half way down the window the angle of the squeegie meant that the rubber was not in full contact with the glass so it was ineffective. Therefore, I bought a crank to change this angle. I've been using it over the last few days and the problem now is the crank catches on the concrete cill when I get two-thirds of the way down, as the crank is angled in. I've tried angling it out but I'm back to the squeegie not being in contact with the glass again.

Is there a solution to this? I'm beginning to woder what purpose a crank actually serves.

shammy davis jnr

Re: Using an extension pole
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 10:32:09 am »
you can get a squeege called a ledger this has a beter angle for that sort of thing 
etorre make it 

Blackbushe Windows

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2007, 02:16:59 pm »
Glen, if the roof pitch is not that steep you will have this trouble. Extension poles are a poor substitute to actually being at the window. Swapping applicator, squeege, scrimming edges all becomes difficult on a pole - particularly in hot weather! Is it practical to do from inside? Is the roof ok if dry? Maybe you could negotiate leaving this particular window. I had a customer that required almost all 1st floor windows be done by pole due to porches bay windows etc. Decided to stop as it was too time consuming and doing a good job was difficult. Interested to see what other posts come in.

Regards

Peter
Blackbushe Windows.
Est. 1983
www.blackbushewindows.co.uk

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2007, 02:32:46 pm »
If you don't want to walk on the roof there's not a lot you can do really.

You'll never get it perfect with a pole.

colley614

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2007, 02:36:06 pm »
On one job I do I put my ladder up and do two thirds of the window poling straight down as normal but then I climb down the ladder and move it about a foot to the right and then pole the last third from the side as I can't get the angle for the last third doing it straight down.

Works for me.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2007, 04:15:19 pm »
I purchased a pole in order to clean windows above canopies to avoid having to walg on the roof.

The procedure I used is as follows: From the top of the ladder (at canopy gutter level)  I applicated the windows using the pole. Problems arose when I attempted to squeegie the windows as when I got half way down the window the angle of the squeegie meant that the rubber was not in full contact with the glass so it was ineffective. Therefore, I bought a crank to change this angle. I've been using it over the last few days and the problem now is the crank catches on the concrete cill when I get two-thirds of the way down, as the crank is angled in. I've tried angling it out but I'm back to the squeegie not being in contact with the glass again.

Is there a solution to this? I'm beginning to woder what purpose a crank actually serves.

Not sure if I'm understanding you correctly but there is a squeegee where channel swivels.  It is available in a "zero degree" form - i.e. if you look at the cross section of a squeegee, the channel is normally angled at about 30 degrees.  However, there is one that is at zero degrees.  I can't find anything about it on the internet but I do have a couple that I bought years ago.
I believe it is an Unger product.  Your local janitorial supplier may be able to order it in.  I think Soap National got hold of one for me.  If I have understood correctly and if you do order one, don't forgewt the end clips for the channel.  For some reason best known to themselves, Unger decided to make this product with a built-in brass channel.

BTW.  Not sure it's a good idea anyway using a pole while up a ladder.

BTW.  I think it was known as "Swiv-loc" or similar.

macmac

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2007, 10:46:58 pm »
wintecs have the new ettore squeegee that you can angle right up to it being straight (maybe even past straight). its 21 quid mind but looks handy.

tony