This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

D.Salkeld_Ltd

20 Years Window Cleaning - 19 Trad and 1 WFP
« on: March 29, 2007, 11:32:58 pm »
Hi folks,

April this year is my 20th annaversary of window cleaning and my 1st anneversary (still can't spell it right ::) ::) ::)) WFP.

My story (iff anyone is interested ::))

I left school and got a job on a local farm.  Got made redundant after 4 years.  Went out with my dads ladder and did a bit of W/C for pocket money.  Then I got a job on a local Pig farm for another 4 years - jacked it in and started up Rabbit breeding ??? ???, odd jobing and W/C on the side.  The W/C grew and grew.
In 1987 I met my wife and in 1988 we got married.  The Rabbit trade wasn't good and I needed to invest heavily to expand so Tracy and I decided to sell up the Rabbits and concentrate on Windows.
I did other Odd jobs as well back then but a year later in 1989 our daughter Hannah was born in July.  That spring we decided to go fulltime W/C and we canvassed all the villages around.  Worked a treat - Tracy 7 - 8 months pregnant and us looking for work.  A lot of people knew of me so I soon found lots of more work.
I was still using a leather and dry cloth then and met a W/C near Skeggy who put me onto the Fed.  I joined and after the Fed telling me about Scrim and Squeegees I bought a kit from a janitorial suppliers in Grimsby.  Had no idea how to use it  ??? ???  The Fed put me in touch with Brian Dolby in Grimsby.  I went over to see him and attended afew of thier meetings and Brian showed me how to use the squeegee.
In 1992 we moved to Louth and an old chap from Alford (14 miles away from Louth) gave me some work in Louth and away I went in town!
Tried employing, tried parteners.  I sold most of the rounds in the villages and concentrated in Town.
When I turned 40 I went through a Mid life crisis, seriousely - I did :o
Got totally fed up with W/C and decided to join the local Fire Brigade as a retainer (on call whilst W/C)>  I took on a couple of lads and got some more work.
That went OK for about 6 months until one lad packed up.  I took on another - right rouge >:( >:(  Sacked him and just had me and the one lad.
In 2003 - 2004 I found this site and learned about WFP.  Couldn't afford it and just as many were, I was sceptical.  Last year I finaly purchased WFP gear and went for it ??? >:( :D ??? :( :)
What a stressfull time the first 6 months were :'( :( >:(
I jacked in the Fire Brigade last August and got stuck in WFP Window Cleaning.

I am now reaping the benefits of my efforts - but it still buggs me ??? ??? ............ Leaving the windows wet ??? ???

I must add that our better life here is not entirely due to WFP.  Tracy has made leading efforts with part time work to fund our family holidays and the extras in life.  She is a real inspiration to me ;) ;)

I would like to say a big thankyou to all of you folks for your advice and trade understanding.  Trade assosiations and Federations have been mentioned - but Cleanitup.co.uk is by far THE BEST trade group to be in ;)

David Salkeld
Not Perfect - But Honest

petski2

Re: 20 Years Window Cleaning - 19 Trad and 1 WFP
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2007, 11:43:06 pm »
Dave what a great story mate.Of course we are interested. ::)
We are all in the same boat mate. :)
It would be nice if all the guys and gals on here would put up their storys of progress.
I did some time ago.
Hope everything keeps going well mate.

Pete

brett walker

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2007, 11:43:28 pm »
Hi David

great story 8) ive been trad 15yrs and wfp just 1 so 16yrs but i must say wfp is the best thing to happen to me, its had its ups and downs but i am now earning more every week and i enjoy my job nowadays :)

good luck with your future ;)

regards

Brett

ps, what rabbits did you breed?.

D.Salkeld_Ltd

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2007, 11:51:30 pm »
Brett,

I used to breed rabbits for meat market - don't ask how I got into it ??? ??? a coleague at the pig farm ???
A load of hard work for a little money 7 days a week :o :o

WFP realy is the best thing that I've done business wise!

David
Not Perfect - But Honest

petski2

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2007, 11:55:19 pm »
Dave iv wanted to ask for a while,on your avatar what do you have on round your neck.
For some reason I keep imagining you as a South African or an Aussie because of the colours you have on :)

D.Salkeld_Ltd

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2007, 12:01:20 am »
That's an old pic of me on a boat on the Thames in 1999. A family trip to London ;D.  It's the collar of my rain coat.  That coat was brand new especialy for that trip and I only threw it out last autumn - served me well it did ;D ;D

David
Not Perfect - But Honest

petski2

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2007, 12:19:44 am »
Cheers mate :)

shammy davis jnr

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2007, 11:03:51 am »
nice one dave was glenn close one of your old customers
keep in there mate remember this is the only job you start at the top and work down the way lol
all the best
shammy davis

jeff1

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2007, 02:14:30 pm »
Great story Dave & well done to you and Tracy.

I find its great to read how we all got into window cleaning so a couple of weeks ago (I think) I put up a post about my story, here is the link if you want to read it, I must say I was one of the lucky ones.

http://www.cleanitup.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=34634.0

colley614

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2007, 02:24:14 pm »

Its a funny old trade window cleaning isn't it. I left the Army and took a window cleaning job until I could get back into my trade. When I got a job in my trade I only lasted 12 months and phoned my boss on the window cleaning and asked for my job back. He snatched me back up then last year I went self employed. I love it until November and then tell myself I'm gonna get an office job until about feb when I start loving cleaning windows again! Lol ;D ;D ;D

Keep it up matey!

gary evans

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2007, 05:23:21 pm »
Good storey Dave,

I,m nineteen years full time & done part-time before that. Things change but i still keep coming back to do more w/c.

Gary

Londoner

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2007, 08:06:07 am »
Its good to hear other people's stories. I always read them with interest. Its only with the coming of sites like this that we have been able to find out about each other.

Before that window cleaning was a lonely job carried out in total isolation. Its strange to look back and realise that even five years ago everything was so different.

Now we have trade shows, magazines, web sites etc and I think its great. Considering that window cleaning has always been regarded as a bit of a bum job, something you do for a while as a stopgap etc. Its amazing how many career window cleaners there are about. Its also amazing how many people come back to it time and again.

I like the way the trade's image of itself has been raised by all of this.

Terry_Burrows

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2007, 09:01:05 am »
thats the prob with wc has always had the, its only a wcleaner, I do think thats
changed and changing slowly,I think the prob is,its so easy to just start up,un like other trades, elec plumber and so on.untill there is some aprentership
of some kind,it will stay around for some time... :-\
WWW.FASTESTWINDOWCLEANER.CO.UK
GUINNESS WORLD RECORD HOLDER
BURNING RUBBER FASTER!
NATIONAL FEDERATION OF MASTER WINDOW CLEANERS.

D.Salkeld_Ltd

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2007, 09:19:07 am »
Mornin Terry,

How did you start up then?

And I must add, even though I am fully WFP and wouldn't go back.  I do admire the skill of washer and squeegee.  I wouldn't throw my trad kit out for all the WFPs in the world.  I have one shop front, a bit out of main town, I do with the squeegee.  I do it once a fortnight and keep trying your method.  The times I have dropped me squeegee ??? ??? ??? tryin to speed clean 8) 8) ;D

David
Not Perfect - But Honest