This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Jason Atwell

Passing on advice
« on: March 29, 2007, 09:37:04 pm »
This is a question to everyone across the board, trad, wfp, newbies, oldies,ladies, gentlemen, boys and girls.
If you had to pick the most important bit of advice you could think of,  to pass on to your fellow w/c, what would it be??
And possibly give a reason for this.
for example, dont price low just to get a job, or never compromise on quality, be insured, etc etc  :)
Fleetwood Window Cleaning Services

EasyClean

Re: Passing on advice
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2007, 10:09:33 pm »
Always do a full risk assessment prior to doing a job! Commonsense really.
Losing a customer is like waiting for the next bus, another one will come along shortly!

Pat Purcell

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2007, 10:11:42 pm »
Planning will make a job go faster than rushing
Boston USA    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>   Cork Ireland

shammy davis jnr

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2007, 12:00:22 pm »
dont take it out on your dog with a boot up the arse it may bite you one day   ;D

pylofm

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2007, 01:32:03 pm »
Do not undersell your services just to get the job.

swindon

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2007, 01:38:18 pm »
thats good advice pylofm, whatever you do dont under price your work and if you can avoid it dont give a quote over the phone, also friendliness is a massive selling point

colley614

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2007, 02:39:17 pm »
Always put your trousers on before you go to work. Just kidding, Make sure you get to know as many local window cleaners as possible as I find they tend to pass a lot of work you way if they have a full plate.

Trevor Knight

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2007, 02:41:40 pm »
Don't do favours for customers like "could you just give that gutter a quick scoop as you have your ladders up there" or " would you mind just cutting this creeping ivy away from my window while your doing the window".

In my experience, they never pay you anymore than the cost of cleaning your windows and you could end up wasting a lot of valuable time. Tell them you will do it but you will charge for it!
Covering Hampshire, Dorset, Surrey, Berkshire

colley614

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2007, 02:44:58 pm »
If a customer asks me for a favour I say "Ask you next door neighbour if I can clean her windows" and if I get the job I'll do the favour.

simon knight

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2007, 03:16:15 pm »

Avoid houses that have climbing roses and pyracanthus growing up the side (unless you like being torn to shreds).

This probably applies to trad only.

Tosh

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2007, 03:17:31 pm »
thats good advice pylofm, whatever you do dont under price your work and if you can avoid it dont give a quote over the phone, also friendliness is a massive selling point

DITTO.  I underpriced when I first started, and still suffer from my original underpricing in some areas.

SherwoodCleaningSe

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2007, 03:28:41 pm »
If you have a child or know one take them out collecting with you once in a while.  They'll collect a bit in tips and it reminds your customers that you have to pay bills as well.

Always remember your trousers is good too.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2007, 03:31:04 pm »

Not wanting to sound contradictory but my advice would be :- Don't get too friendly with the customers.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2007, 06:45:18 pm »
Use your savings, or a bank loan or borrow or beg or steal the necessary funds to go wfp.

Lifesaver - in both senses of the word.
It's a game of three halves!

NWH

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2007, 07:40:42 pm »
I also say go WFP as soon as you can,but it is also good if you have some experience trad way as well.Wfp being a lot quicker enables you to keep on top of your work you wont get K******d at the end of the week,you will actually enjoy going to work especially if you`ve been working trad way for a number of years.

Pureandclean

« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2007, 08:00:00 pm »
When you go collecting, use a wallet to put your notes in.
If you just stuff the notes into your pocket, it is very easy to lose notes, when you put your hand in your pocket to get some change.
 I have a market traders pouch on my right hip. to keep wallet and note book etc. in

Blessings,

Graeme

TVCS

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2007, 09:37:01 pm »
Use George or a similar software package to keep you in order. 
Took me a little while to realise life is much easier when 'Old Georgie' sorts your round out for you. 
And, don't rush about trying to keep your hourly rate up, more haste, crappy results as the old saying goes. Speed comes with time. 
Veni, vidi, vino, splatus.

(I came, I saw, I drank, I fell over...)

cleantech.co.uk

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2007, 10:09:04 pm »
learn to say "no" to customers, it can be hard, but it'llsave you from having a run full of crap jobs.
All posts by Justin @ Cleantech unless specified otherwise

ac_cleaning

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2007, 10:47:55 pm »
Always carry plenty of spares (wfp)could cost a days work if not.
al

pylofm

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2007, 07:47:36 am »
Being a newbie I have been prone to clockwatching, even to the point of using a stop watch on my jobs....I have now got rid of that and now do not wear my watch during the day....this has made me a little more chilled about time, time, time , getting to the next job...blah, blah

When you take on a new job, take the extra couple of minutes to think about how to 'walk' the job, route hoses, ladders etc...

Cheers
Dave.