This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Alistair@AWC

Battery Problem
« on: March 29, 2007, 05:42:50 pm »
Hi Guys,

Im currently using a Numark 110ah Leisure Battery that Ive had for 7 months, its been crap for a while now but today I got through about 250 litres of water (including a couple of first cleans) which took about 4 hours and then it died on me.

Its correctly filled with DI water is charged each night using the best charger I could buy from Halfords (sorry cant remember the name) but its the one that maintains the batteries charge when its full.

I even used Batt-Aid tablets on it last week!

My setup is a Shurflo 100psi pump controlled by a Eco-Flow - now Im not sure what drain the Eco-Flow puts on my battery but the Shurrflo is 8 amps.

Ive now accepted the battery is a dud and its starting to cost me money cos Im getting less and less work done.

Im looking to start somebody in the next couple of months so my new battery will have to run 2 Eco-Flows and 2 Shurflo pumps for 8 hours at a time.

Ive seen the U.S Battery - ultra deep cycle 115ah at the Battery Megastore.

Just looking for your opinions as to whether this is man enough for the jobs or if there is a better suited battery out there.

Cheers Fellas

Alistair

NWH

Re: Battery Problem
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2007, 05:46:56 pm »
The eco-flows prefer flo-jet pumps.

Alistair@AWC

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2007, 05:49:25 pm »
NWH,

The eco-flows prefer flo-jet pumps.

Why's that and would it really affect my battery drain to such an extent  :)

AuRavelling79

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2007, 06:24:40 pm »
If it's only 7 months old can't you get it sorted under warranty?
It's a game of three halves!

Ian_Giles

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2007, 06:31:30 pm »
Seems most unusual for a 110amp battery to fail so quickly, particularly as you charge it every night
I've been through 2 in three years, but even so, there wasn't a day when they wouldn't keep going all day long (I ran one flat by accident and it never fully recovered, the other wwas just starlting to falter a little, but that was also my own fault for going to often without charging it fully.
But as I obtained a couple of very heavy duty 6v batteries...yes, thats right 6 VOLT batteries...and free of charge to boot, I linked them in series...or is that in parrallel???
Anyways, it worked....actually, truth be told I didn't realise they were 6 volt batteries until I tried to run pump off just one battery and it wouldn't work :o

Thought; Ahh! battery too flat!!

But charger just tripped out every time I tried to charge it :-\

Thought charger was malfunctioning >:(

Then took the time to actually read what it said on the side of the batteries....yep, 6 volt :'(

so hit on the wizzard wheeze of connecting them in parrallel...or was that in series ;D
Connected up charger and ducked :o
Nothing blew up, the charger worked perfectly ( a top of the range inteligent charger...I aquired that one too! ;) Not illegally by the way ::)
Took 4 days for them both to get fully charged, but works a treat, I vaguely remember reading somewhere that you increase the voltage by lining batteries up in series...er...parrallel ??? And it works a treat, and charged up by the 12 volt charger too! 8)

Well, they were free wern't they, and I wasn't going to let a little detail like them only being 6 volt batteries get in the way was I  ;)

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

Alistair@AWC

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2007, 06:59:21 pm »
If it's only 7 months old can't you get it sorted under warranty?

Malc,

Unfortunately I bought it off ebay (new) but I'm pretty sure Numark would want to see proof of date of purchase

Alistair

Ian Lancaster

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2007, 07:32:34 pm »
Alistair:

I've been having battery problems too - I'm starting to think it's the Halfords charger.  We had 2 of them and Halfords recalled them because there was a fault, we got 2 more in exchange, but since then we've had loads of trouble, including one battery dying after 7 months, like yours.

If you're going to buy a battery from Megastore, they do intelligent chargers at £41.  At least if there's a problem after than you can complain to the same company for both items.

Cheers,

Ian

Davew

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2007, 08:30:42 pm »
Ian, which Halfords charger is that? That sounds like the kind I might be using- were they all recalled?

Alistair@AWC

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2007, 08:46:55 pm »
Ian.

Im pretty sure that the Halfords charger is an intelligent charger i.e. orange light when charging then switches to green light when battery is full and maintains the charge until you disconnect it.

Is that the one you've been having trouble with??

Regards

Alistair

jeff1

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2007, 08:50:23 pm »
Guy's do you have the name and number of the charger thats been recalled???

jeff1

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2007, 08:51:19 pm »
Ian.

Im pretty sure that the Halfords charger is an intelligent charger i.e. orange light when charging then switches to green light when battery is full and maintains the charge until you disconnect it.

Is that the one you've been having trouble with??

Regards

Alistair

Alistair
Do you have a multi-meter??

Alistair@AWC

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2007, 08:52:55 pm »

Alistair
Do you have a multi-meter??

No afraid not Jeff  :)

jeff1

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2007, 08:56:37 pm »
Shame I was going to give you the voltage out-put of the charger while in charging mode, it would have given you an indication if it was working ok.

You have checked the silly things like the fuse?? I know it sounds daft but its worth a look.

Alistair@AWC

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2007, 09:30:08 pm »
Hi Jeff,

Its definitely not the fuse cos the charger powers up and the 2 indicator lights light up

My mum found an old charger (Selmar Turbo 8, if that means anything to anyone) of mine in her garage last week and brought it down, so I just went into the garage to put 2 crocodile clips on it and noticed my new charger was showing that my battery was fully charged

When I connected the Selmar upto the battery something happened that ive never seen with the Halfords charger................the water/acid in the cells started to bubble away gently!    ;D

Which makes me think its that piece of poo from halfords thats been causing me all this grief     >:(

Alistair@AWC

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2007, 09:36:41 pm »
Oh Jeff,

When I plugged in the Selmar charger its meter thingy on the front went upto 4 amps if that means anything to you.

So how long should it take to fully charge this 110ah battery with a 8 amp charger - or is it just 110 / 8 = 13.75 hours

Cheers

Alistair

jeff1

« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2007, 09:49:52 pm »
Hi Jeff,

Its definitely not the fuse cos the charger powers up and the 2 indicator lights light up

My mum found an old charger (Selmar Turbo 8, if that means anything to anyone) of mine in her garage last week and brought it down, so I just went into the garage to put 2 crocodile clips on it and noticed my new charger was showing that my battery was fully charged

When I connected the Selmar upto the battery something happened that ive never seen with the Halfords charger................the water/acid in the cells started to bubble away gently!    ;D

Which makes me think its that piece of poo from halfords thats been causing me all this grief     >:(
Alistair
This one is a classic ;D

What happens with your halfords one, is it will take your battery just upto the correct top-up voltage, then once there it turns the charger into trickle mode so as not to over charge it,

your selmar one will continue to charge your battery at full charge and cause it to bubble, if you left it to continue this way it eventually buckles the plates in your battery (over charge) so this tells me your halfords one is working the way it should, I would now start to susspect your battery.

Alistair@AWC

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2007, 10:01:21 pm »
Jeff,

The selmar says it has an overload protector

So you dont suggest that I leave it charging overnight then

Regards

Alistair

jeff1

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2007, 10:57:35 am »
Jeff,

The selmar says it has an overload protector

So you dont suggest that I leave it charging overnight then

Regards

Alistair

The overload protection is only the onboard fuse, your halfords charger has one aswell.

A battery charger will only give out what a low battery demands of it,(in current) were as your halfords one regulates it and reduces its output voltage to the batteries demand, your selmar won't adjust the output voltage and it stays at a constant voltage, if left to long on charge it Effectively cooks it, this is why you don't see it bubbling with the halfords one. (hope that makes sense?)