Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Adam Boss

Re: HOSE PIPE BAN...!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2007, 01:45:40 pm »
A hose pipe ban should not be a problem, it's when a drought order comes into force, then there will be major problems.  :( :(

Regards
EST: 1988

Paul Coleman

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2007, 02:37:59 pm »
A hose pipe ban should not be a problem, it's when a drought order comes into force, then there will be major problems.  :( :(

Regards

So I understand but the original poster indicated that the rules were changing.  A hosepipe ban only affects WFP users if working directly from the mains (a few trollies with DI in soft water areas do work this way).  A portable water tank has not been the subject of hosepipe bans previously.  Even in a drought order there was a three phase system introduced (a concession from the water company as I understand it).  A hosepipe ban did stop people connecting a hose to a mains tap and hosing the windows down.  If that is what the original poster heard about then that is nothing new.  The concern is if they are referring to a change of regulations that affects window cleaning even when the equipment is NOT directly connected to the mains.

riz

« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2007, 03:48:01 pm »

I would exercise my right to silence as to where the water came from!!

« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2007, 04:07:13 pm »
Macc,

this is not a dig mate but you contradicted yourself, you use ladders every day,

Re: Ladders
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 10:14:32pm »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ladders will not be banned.

I'm 100% Wfp but my ladders came off the roof  4 times today, i could not do my job without them.

Its not the ladders that need banning, its the idiot using them.

Macc

For access mate on to a roof, not working off them, those days are long gone.

Macc

Adam Boss

« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2007, 05:22:09 pm »
Macc,
Dosen't matter how you use them, you can still fall off them.!!
Access is using them for work.

Adam  ::) ::)
EST: 1988

« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2007, 06:53:22 pm »
Macc,
Dosen't matter how you use them, you can still fall off them.!!
Access is using them for work.

Adam  ::) ::)

Adam,

Yes your right but 4 times in 1 day is a lot less risk than 200 times in 1 day.

I stand my ground, ladders should not be band but some pen pusher is not going to tell me back on ladders or the dole. I have Wfp so i reduse my risk. If it comes to it its a Human Rights issue.

Macc

marc

« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2007, 09:48:24 pm »
im with you marcus you make a lot of sence well said

Londoner

« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2007, 07:31:17 am »
Lets get down to basics. Who is actually in charge of deciding what is and what isn't allowed should there be another hosepipe ban?

We should get in contact with them and get a copy of the draft proposals. Last time I believe Steve Lowe went to see someone on behalf of us all. He would be the person to talk to. I believe he's on the other forum these days, I will try and contact him.

simon knight

« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2007, 02:07:06 pm »

I live in the Thames Water area and we had a ban for the best part of last year.
OK I couldn't water my garden using a hosepipe...but i could if i used a bucket.
I couldn't clean my car using a hosepipe...but i could if i used a bucket....

But guess what?...I COULD use my power blaster to clean my patio!!! And why?

Because according to Thames Water cleaning a patio is a health and safety issue and therefore falls outside of the ban.

Now whether or not cleaning windows using wfp is considered a H&S issue and therefore also falls outside of a hosepipe ban I don't know but it's academic for you guys. From what I understand you make up your pure water at home...how on Earth are the authorities gonna know whether you used a bucket (legal) or a hosepipe to fill to fill your tank?

Much ado about nothing if you ask me.

cybersye

« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2007, 03:41:25 pm »
I'm down in the south east and not sure if we had anymore than a hose pipe ban in place last year.
One thing I remember whist the whole drought issue was going on was a local tv news clip highlighting the madness of water wastage, there was a clay quarry pumping out thousands of galllons day and night into a neighbouring stream, experts were saying that water quality was certainly as good maybe better than out of the tap, locals were filling up barrels where it entered the stream and I seem to remember there was a legal rangle going on as to whether it was theft or trespassing!
 :o ??? ::)

Paul Coleman

« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2007, 04:00:20 pm »
I'm down in the south east and not sure if we had anymore than a hose pipe ban in place last year.
One thing I remember whist the whole drought issue was going on was a local tv news clip highlighting the madness of water wastage, there was a clay quarry pumping out thousands of galllons day and night into a neighbouring stream, experts were saying that water quality was certainly as good maybe better than out of the tap, locals were filling up barrels where it entered the stream and I seem to remember there was a legal rangle going on as to whether it was theft or trespassing!
 :o ??? ::)

A number of water companies were granted drought orders but only one (Sutton & East Surrey) actually activated it.  It was activated in three phases but only the first one ever happened so it ended up not being too much more restrictive than a hosepipe ban.  The only consequence I was aware of was that carwashes without a water recycling unit were closed down until they had one fitted.  Also, the carwash guys in the supermarket car parks had to work from IBC tanks rather than directly from the mains.  The only window cleaners that would have been affected were those who had the type of trolley that had a DI unit that was connected to a tap.  It's unlikely that there were any as the southeast is all hard water anyway.

JohnL

« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2007, 06:31:13 pm »
The discussion I heard on the radio last week  - and it was only very brief - that certain uses of water would be prohibited and included was the cleaning of windows. There was no wfp or trad mentioned, just window cleaning.    :(
West Somerset. On the edge of the Quantocks and looking at The Exmoor National Park.

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2007, 06:53:42 pm »
I think you will find it was Cleaning windows by means of an hose pipe connected to the mains.

Ian Lancaster

« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2007, 07:57:05 pm »
Let's stop panicking about hosepipe bans ::)

We had a hosepipe ban in the South East for two years on the trot.  How many window cleaners did it affect?

A hose pipe is only a hose pipe if it's connected to the mains.

A WFP system is technically a "bowser and dowser".  In other words a powered watering system attached to an independent reservoir of water.  You have a tank of water in your van/trolley/backpack, you attach a pump, either electric or hand operated, and a means of directing the water where you want it - a watering wand, or a WFP.

Provided your pole isn't directly connected to the mains water, there's no problem.

There could be a bit of a problem if you have a van mounted RO and you run a hose pipe to your van to fill your holding tank via your RO.

Solution? Get a static purification system and storage IBC in your garden/shed or wherever, and then pump the pure water into a tank in your van.  If your static system is plumbed into the mains, you can't be accused of using a hose pipe.

It's only when the situation becomes critical and the Government grants water companies Drought Orders that it could affect us, and then all water users are affected, not just window cleaners.

Cheers,

Ian

AuRavelling79

« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2007, 01:04:06 pm »
A hosepipe ban is for hosepipes. I clean windows using wfp and if local authorities dont like it then they can stick it up their arses. ...
Marcus

Firstly - They can't get you for assault, Marcus that's just overzealous colonic irrigation.  ;D

Secondly - Let's imagine the world comes crashing down on wfp and little old ladies with (redundant) umbrellas start beating us with them because we "waste water" - well I could survive a few months without going up a ladder or using wfp - how?

By doing downstairs only trad. and charging about 2/3 the rate for the whole house. (Typically houses have more windows downstairs (inc. doors) than up.)

Bit more time at the beach and eating ice cream!

Malc Gold of the "Positive like Lieutenant George "a.k.a Hugh Laurie" in Blackadder IV" class.
It's a game of three halves!

colley614

« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2007, 04:59:26 pm »
Well they'll have fun trying to get me to stop using water. I've had a leak in the water pipes in my back garden since my grandad owned the house forty years ago. So if they tell me I can't use the water because I'm wasting it. I will politely remind them that they have refused to fix that pipe for forty years now. Who wastes more water?