This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

C-Thru.

HOSE PIPE BAN...!!!!!!!!!
« on: March 23, 2007, 12:06:01 pm »
OH S**T !!!
Just heard on the lunchtime news that the government is to widen the ban on use of water to washing windows, as they put it, should there be hose pipe ban this year.

Pray for rain fella's !!!!!!

Goochie.

Terry_Burrows

Re: HOSE PIPE BAN...!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 01:28:32 pm »
back to buckets then, again :o :-\
WWW.FASTESTWINDOWCLEANER.CO.UK
GUINNESS WORLD RECORD HOLDER
BURNING RUBBER FASTER!
NATIONAL FEDERATION OF MASTER WINDOW CLEANERS.

Pj

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 01:38:22 pm »
Don't you wish you'd bought an Ionics Pro 10?

NO! ;D

Trevor Knight

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2007, 03:18:52 pm »
I wouldn't worry yourself about it.

Firstly, there would be a lot of window cleaners looking at government regarding stopping them working, there are so many people dependant on water for their trade, lets face it, if the water companies tightened up their leaks we would be millions of gallons better off for a start!!!

Secondly, before WFP we all used ladders so lets face it, if we were really stuck its out with the ladders and squeegee and back to our roots!!

Another point to consider, if the government stop us using water as our tool then are they going to ignore all the time and effort they have put into this WAH Directive???

Personally, I am not going to lose sleep on this one :o)

Trev
Covering Hampshire, Dorset, Surrey, Berkshire

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2007, 04:38:58 pm »
Me neither, Severn Trent Water say the work on the basis of 3 hosepipe bans per 100 years!!

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2007, 08:24:10 pm »
Ditto. Can't realy add anymore to that.

I wouldn't worry yourself about it.

Firstly, there would be a lot of window cleaners looking at government regarding stopping them working, there are so many people dependant on water for their trade, lets face it, if the water companies tightened up their leaks we would be millions of gallons better off for a start!!!

Secondly, before WFP we all used ladders so lets face it, if we were really stuck its out with the ladders and squeegee and back to our roots!!

Another point to consider, if the government stop us using water as our tool then are they going to ignore all the time and effort they have put into this WAH Directive???

Personally, I am not going to lose sleep on this one :o)

Trev

Llaaww

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2007, 08:42:55 pm »
wfp
seems to use more water than I had in mind, but I am into it for 700 bucks, don't know if the old lady wants it , she is not happy. :-[ ??? :-[ ;)
what do you think
if it is dirty it is fair game

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2007, 08:52:24 pm »
Trevor

Any chance of posting a bigger picture of your avatar, It would be nice to see it a bit clearer

DAVE

Adam Boss

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2007, 08:56:38 pm »
Should always have the trad method to fall back on. WFP is a tool and is an add-on and should not be for sole use for this reason alone. I use both and prefer trad because i give an excellent finish and use WFP for high or awkward cleans. IMO.
20 years and making a good living, ladders are fine if used in the correct manner, also if a ladder is used regularly then you become more proficient and not shake like a sh***ing dog whilst using them, it is then when only used every now and then that accidents can happen.

Regards

;) ;) ;)
EST: 1988

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2007, 10:18:57 pm »
Why should i take a risk going back on ladders when i have Wfp?

I will carry on even if they say i cant. Its my right to choose the safest method for me.

Macc

rugby

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2007, 01:14:57 am »
compleatly agree,wfp is a big leap forwards in makeing window cleaning a much safer way to earn a living,and i have no intention of taking a leap backwards and risking my neck,end of

marcus hopkins

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2007, 01:45:00 am »
A hosepipe ban is for hosepipes. I clean windows using wfp and if local authorities dont like it then they can stick it up their arses. I pay for the water i use end of story. I would take them to the court of human rights if needed, as my right is to work in a safe manner. It works in other work places so why not ours. The sooner the HSE ban ladders the better as then there will be no argument as to which is best as there would only be one way. THE SAFE WAY.

Marcus

Londoner

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2007, 07:00:39 am »
I heard about this on the radio on Friday. Its certainly one to keep an eye on because if it should happen it will be too late to change it.
During the last hosepipe ban all the car washes were still allowed to operate and they used much more water than we ever would.
I'm not convinced that it would just mean going back to ladders because the programme I was listening to implied it would be all window cleaning not just WFP.

Maybe its time to invest in that carpet cleaning machine I have been thinking about.

Adam Boss

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2007, 07:12:59 am »
Macc,

this is not a dig mate but you contradicted yourself, you use ladders every day,

Re: Ladders
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 10:14:32pm »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ladders will not be banned.

I'm 100% Wfp but my ladders came off the roof  4 times today, i could not do my job without them.

Its not the ladders that need banning, its the idiot using them.

Macc

EST: 1988

Davew

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2007, 07:19:45 am »
What about all the industries that use water? We have seven industrial ro units running day and night in our print firm. I bet engineering firms use gallons for cooling. The worst offenders must be companies using large pressure washers or what about the rich b****rds with their swimming pools? If the water companies didn't watch it all drain away during the winter there would be plenty for everyone.

Londoner

« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2007, 07:29:26 am »
Thats why we have to do something before it happens. When the ban comes in its too late. The trouble is these firms are doing their stuff behind closed doors. We do it out in the street where everyone can see us.

pylofm

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2007, 08:19:55 am »
Or move here to Holland we have more water than you can shake a carbon fibre pole at  ;D ;D ;D

If I dig to deep in the garden it's technically a well !!

Cheers
Dave.

Ian_Giles

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2007, 10:01:10 am »
If you have a dozen window cleaners in an average size town that are all using WFP I would say that the average usage of water would be about 350 litres, take waste into account while producing the water and we will each be using ...say...a 1000 litres a day tops.

during the summer, if you have...what?...between four and five thousand homes?
Well if a dozen of those homes decide to put the sprinker on their gardens or lawns for 5 or 6 hours, each one is going to use somewhere in the region of a thousand litres of water an hour :o :o
If I stick the hosepipe into my thousand litre tank it'll be filled up in way less than an hour!

If a single householder left his sprinkler on overnight, he would use more water in 12 hours than all the window cleaners in his town would use put together.

WE would use perhaps that 1000 litres...compare that to factories that use several million litres per day, what the window cleaner will use is a totally piddling amount of water by any comparison.

hosepipe bans on households makes sense, if you go out and clean your car with the hosepipe you'll use a few hundred litres of water in the 15 minutes or so it'll take, if you have several hundred people doing the same thing it adds up to a lot of water, same with with having a several hundred watering their gardens.

So the savings are considerable, but yet again, what we use is a drop in the ocean.

I ain't losing any sleep over it either...though I also live in an area where supply isn't a problem, if I lived in the South east I might sweat a bit though!

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

Paul Coleman

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2007, 10:41:28 am »
If you have a dozen window cleaners in an average size town that are all using WFP I would say that the average usage of water would be about 350 litres, take waste into account while producing the water and we will each be using ...say...a 1000 litres a day tops.

during the summer, if you have...what?...between four and five thousand homes?
Well if a dozen of those homes decide to put the sprinker on their gardens or lawns for 5 or 6 hours, each one is going to use somewhere in the region of a thousand litres of water an hour :o :o
If I stick the hosepipe into my thousand litre tank it'll be filled up in way less than an hour!

If a single householder left his sprinkler on overnight, he would use more water in 12 hours than all the window cleaners in his town would use put together.

WE would use perhaps that 1000 litres...compare that to factories that use several million litres per day, what the window cleaner will use is a totally piddling amount of water by any comparison.

hosepipe bans on households makes sense, if you go out and clean your car with the hosepipe you'll use a few hundred litres of water in the 15 minutes or so it'll take, if you have several hundred people doing the same thing it adds up to a lot of water, same with with having a several hundred watering their gardens.

So the savings are considerable, but yet again, what we use is a drop in the ocean.

I ain't losing any sleep over it either...though I also live in an area where supply isn't a problem, if I lived in the South east I might sweat a bit though!

Ian

I would do more than swear a bit Ian living in the southeast.  I would blag my way around and work illegally until caught.  Then I would have to consider whether to continue breaking the law, end up homeless, or both.  No doubt about it.  Although I now keep up with my finances, even a shortish period unable to work would bankrupt me.  But why should those self pleasurers in their cosy warm offices give a toss about the likes of me?

marc al

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2007, 11:29:47 am »
  If I am forced back onto ladders I will go the "cowboy" route, i.e I will fold my business, start taking all the benefits I can find and work from ladders for cash only.

I know this sounds bad, but if the government is ready to shaft the little man instead of tackle the real core issues of the problem then I am going to take my compensation.

Marc