This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

SHINING EXAMPLE

Is my thinking correct?
« on: March 21, 2007, 08:34:32 pm »
Fellow shiners!
Had my 500ltr. van mount for over two months now and have just begun to notice that I have to now turn the flow control up higher than I used to for the same 'jet power'.
My pump runs off the van battery. I'm thinking that because all my work is extremely local, my mileage low and my journeys short, my battery just doesn't regain it's juice. I am also surmising that a split relay to a separate battery would also prove a problem for the same reason.
Is a separate leisure battery being charged independently of the vehicle my best bet?
Sorry - I'm new to being practical :-[

craig jwc

Re: Is my thinking correct?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2007, 08:47:09 pm »
Don't think the van battery i designed for long use. Just short bursts to turn the engine.

I use a leisure battery and never had a problem.

I know a couple of people who run their pump from the van battery and not had problems. So perhaps you aren't travelling far enough to charge it up.

SHINING EXAMPLE

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2007, 09:14:06 pm »
Thanks Craig,
So I wasn't far off then :o Wonders never cease!

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2007, 09:18:26 pm »
Have you cleaned your filter that are on the pump. I clean mine once a month. The filter has a mesh in it & you will be amazed how much it collects.

Macc

Llaaww

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2007, 09:33:43 pm »
should have a leisure battery if you can afford it, they are built for the
job. ;)
if it is dirty it is fair game

SHINING EXAMPLE

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2007, 10:12:51 pm »
Hmmmm..  I shall seek out this 'filter' on the morrow.
Many thanks gents.

craig jwc

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2007, 10:13:45 pm »
There not that expensive.. Think mine cost £45 + VAT from Varitech.

I have two so i can swap them over every other day, so whilst i'm using one the other is charging.

marc

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2007, 11:06:59 pm »
camping and general £37 99 for a leisure battery

Paul Coleman

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2007, 08:19:25 am »
Fellow shiners!
Had my 500ltr. van mount for over two months now and have just begun to notice that I have to now turn the flow control up higher than I used to for the same 'jet power'.
My pump runs off the van battery. I'm thinking that because all my work is extremely local, my mileage low and my journeys short, my battery just doesn't regain it's juice. I am also surmising that a split relay to a separate battery would also prove a problem for the same reason.
Is a separate leisure battery being charged independently of the vehicle my best bet?
Sorry - I'm new to being practical :-[

I use a leisure battery on a split charge relay and the leisure battery runs low on juice from time to time some days.  It had a 300+ mile round trip to recharge recently but has still run down.  It's nothing that running the engine for a few minutes can't help with to get to the end of the day but if I was running it from the van battery I think I might end up stranded.
Think I need to remove the leisure battery for a proper recharge.
If you used a split charge relay you would avoid the risk of becoming stranded.  Also, at least the leisure battery would take abit of charge when you run the engine.  OK, you may need to remove it sometimes to recharge it if your mileage is low but that's amuch better option than being stranded IMO.  I do carry a spare leisure battery with me to connect up (just in case).
I left my lights on once whilew doing a job and had a flat van battery (due to lights as I was using a split charge).  I managed to restart the van from a 35amp trolley battery and jump leads.  Not ideal I know but got me out of the brown stuff.

SHINING EXAMPLE

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2007, 08:35:16 am »
Thanks Shiner,
Will try and source a battery or two today. Can't beleive how cheap they are!

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2007, 02:37:07 pm »
Hmmmm..  I shall seek out this 'filter' on the morrow.
Many thanks gents.

Its a plastic thing thats screws on the side of the pump.

Sorry, i'm not very technical minded  ::)

Macc

C-Thru.

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2007, 07:52:56 pm »
have just bought and fitted a split charge system only £14.
have'nt tried it yet, but am told it will only start to charge leisure batt once it detects van batt is running at optimum voltage aprox 13.4 volts, then this charger will open and allow voltage to flow to leisure batt.
Will let you know how it is, when fitted leisure batt which arrives 2mora, had to order a special one to fit in compartment in wall of van, Dispatch.

Goochie.

SHINING EXAMPLE

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2007, 06:55:57 am »
I'll be interested to hear how you get on Goochie.
Regards Gary.