This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

adixon

white spots
« on: March 21, 2007, 05:47:58 pm »
just wondered what causes the odd white spots is it the soap residue and trapped dirt in the frames or am i completely wrong?
changing over to wfp this week been practising like mad and just need a bit of confidence and advice from all you guys before im let loose on any of my customers
any advice very very much welcomed and appreciated
thanks in advance

andy

colley614

Re: white spots
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2007, 05:55:53 pm »
Trick with wfp systems is the more you look after them, the more they look after you. The ones in my old firm were terrible but when new they were amazing. Problem is nobody looked after them.

adixon

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2007, 06:57:35 pm »
someone must be able to give a newbie some advice

jeff1

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2007, 07:15:47 pm »
If your water tds is 000 then you will have to rinse more, as it will be the dirt washed down and left in the spots of water.
I'm sure some of the other guy's will have more tips for you.

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2007, 07:22:54 pm »
I found that when I first started I was leaving post all over the place!! But practice makes perfect.

Basically I find that it comes down to controlling where your pure water goes on the window, let me explain:

When you've cleaned the window the only thing left in it should be the pure water, which as we all know will dry clean, job done. But if you accidentally spray some water above the window, which then drips down later on, carrying with it some dirt, you will then get a nice white streak or spot on the window.

When I clean windows I usually don't go above the top of the glass with my brush at all. Some will clean the frame above the glass on UPVC but I will only do that say once every5 or 6 cleans (or when it starts to look dirty). By not going above the glass I can control where the water goes and also when rinsing I would obviously not rinse above the glass so as not to bring down dirt onto the window.

It's basically about water control, if you are finding it hard not to splash everywhere maybe turn down your water flow a bit, check to see if you jets are lined up correctly and not spraying out at odd angles.

Mainly you wilkl find it's practice! Hope this helps a bit.

James Smith

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2007, 07:39:48 pm »
Mind if I butt in here with a question adixon ?

By not going above the glass I can control where the water goes and also when rinsing I would obviously not rinse above the glass so as not to bring down dirt onto the window.
So basically what your saying is if you do the top frame you will probably be left with spots on the 1st wash? Is that what you mean?
I'm a bit confused, if you only do the top frames every 6 cleans does that not mean your leaving spots every 6th time?

I'd love to see a few pics of the marks or spots wfp leaves, anyone got any handy? My wfp is still in it's planning stage so havet tried it yet.

Cheers,

Peter.

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2007, 08:48:53 pm »
Hi,

I am like you new to WFP system. However I am out there doing it, I have explained to my customers and they all seem happy and I know that I leave some white spots, I have tried and tried but still seem to leave tiny spots. At the moment I only use this system for the windows I cannot reach by ladder, maybe when I have really got the hang of it, I will do all the windows this way.

Peter.

Terry_Burrows

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2007, 09:06:56 pm »
 ;D it must be a nightmare :o buy the wfp and get spots,they seem to be ok one minute and not so the next, as the wfp are not cheap to buy :-\
WWW.FASTESTWINDOWCLEANER.CO.UK
GUINNESS WORLD RECORD HOLDER
BURNING RUBBER FASTER!
NATIONAL FEDERATION OF MASTER WINDOW CLEANERS.

EasyClean

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2007, 10:14:11 pm »
When you clean a house for the first time make sure you thoroughly clean the frames first, then the glass. Clean the whole house and then go back and just do the glass and you will have no problems with spots.

On a normal (second, third, etc) houseclean wash the top frame first - back and forth twice, then wash the sides of the frame once, then wash the glass (up & down scrubbing motion).......Then rinse the glass only starting from the top, zig zagging your way from left to right all the way down to the bottom.

Start cleaning from the top level of windows working your way down to the ground level.

Allow extra time for drips to run down cladding and tiled walls before starting any windows directly underneath.

Some people clean the vents but I don't because that is where a lot of runs occur after the glass has dried.
Losing a customer is like waiting for the next bus, another one will come along shortly!

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2007, 10:41:46 pm »
Sorry if I was a bit unclear in my previous posting.

On a first clean I basically clean the windows twice. The first clean I do ALL the frames top to bottom above and below the glass. Then I go back over and just clean the glass this time in the normal way.

On subsequent visits I clean as previously described, from the glass down, which will include the frames to the sides and of course the sills.

But as you can see, everyone has their own methods and it is really up to you to find a way that works best for you and the type of work you have.

(Saying this, I had a new customer today and the windows were UPVC with each window consisting of a a pane above and a pane below. They really weren't too dirty so I cleaned the whole of each window top to bottom, top frame n' all and gave it a really good rinse. They came up great!)

Cheers
Steve

marc

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2007, 10:56:35 pm »
rinse rinse and rinse some more its the 3Rs

macmac

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2007, 11:27:17 pm »
the best advice i can give you is to NEVER clean the top frame, just the glass. cleaning the top frame WILL give you endless problems with what you are experiencing. apart from experimenting (to prove myself right) i havent cleaned a top frame in 3 years & you would still never know. they dont look any worse than the rest of the frame, its a waste of time & totally un-nessesary. just clean the beading with the top (not the ends) of the bristles then clean glass as normal. to rinse push brush to top corner of glass & slowly move it accross to the other corner leaving the brush on the glass, then lift off & away. a rectangular brush with pencil jets is by far the best option for this method.

tony

D.Salkeld_Ltd

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2007, 12:02:23 am »
There seems to be 2 completely different sides to WFP washing mentioned here:

1 NO FRAMES

2 Frames and the lot

No Frames:

If you decide not to do the frames, I totaly agree with Tony's post (macmac)

Frames:

If you decide to do the frames (in my opinion, it's the best option)
Then there are 2 exceptions:
1. - Old, especially powdery, paintwork
2. - Open vents at the top of the window

Good gloss paint and UPVC - do the lot - Doors as well.  After 2 -3 cleans they will clean up a dream and be a doddle to do.

If you decide not to do the frames it will be a little bit quicker and you won't use quite as much water.
But doing the frames looks far better and, after initial cleans, doesn't take any longer.

David
Not Perfect - But Honest

C-Thru.

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2007, 08:03:53 pm »
thanks guys, I'm new to wfp too and after 1st week have been having same prob's.
God its time consuming doing all the frames first time.

Can't wait to get back to earning a proper wage again, these 1st cleans are losing loads of money!

Goochie

russ_clark

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2007, 08:53:49 pm »
Stick with it Goochie
Everyone seems to think it is guaranteed to earn you extra dollar from day one!
It won't.
First couple of cleans will probably cost you but do them thoroughly and after that  watch the $$ 's . ;D ;D ;D

« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2007, 10:55:57 pm »
definitely, you will be really surprised how much quicker you are after the first couple of cleans, don't you worry mate :-)

Ian_Giles

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2007, 06:10:42 am »
It also has to be said that some panes of glass WILL ALWAYS SPOT!

Even on the same house with apparently the same windows, sometimes you'll get a particular pane that will spot every time >:(

And just because a window has UPVC frames it doesn't mean it it won't oxidise either, so give any problem windows the finger test (wet finger and rub on frame, if your finger comes away with even a hint of the colour of the frame on it, then the frame has began to oxidise)

Sometimes it may be the seals between frame and glass that causes the problem.

So it isn't necessarily always the fault of poor technique!..........Unless of course it is happening on every window you do :-\

If that is the case then you just have to keep practising until you get a technique that suits you and also does a top job.

Each of us have slightly different ways of going about using WFP, have a go at each of the methods, you'll soon latch on to the one that suits you best...

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

Paul Coleman

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2007, 06:26:53 am »
thanks guys, I'm new to wfp too and after 1st week have been having same prob's.
God its time consuming doing all the frames first time.

Can't wait to get back to earning a proper wage again, these 1st cleans are losing loads of money!

Goochie

First time around with WFP cost me as well. I had a cashflow problem at the time.  Therefore I introduced the WFP to my business in stages in order not to get too far behind with the work and the money.  I would say to get it over with and get WFP onto all your business as soon as possible but if cashflow is an issue maybe do it in stages.

Londoner

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2007, 07:25:27 am »
I had a first clean on a new customer this week and encountered the worst case of milking I have ever seen. You know what it looks like when you wash a paintbrush under a tap after emulsioning a ceiling? Well thats how it was coming off these windows. I did the whole house twice and then went back the following day and did them again.
If I had come across this house on my first week with a WFP I doubt there would have ever been a second week.

Milking is much more common than you would expect, espescially on first cleans, and if you are new it will throw you into a panic. Being prepared for it is half the battle.