Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

colley614

Newbie got a few questions.
« on: March 20, 2007, 10:08:19 pm »
Firstly hi I'm Keith, I've just started my own window cleaning business after working for a company for 5 years and realizing I could do a lot better on my own.
I set up in November and am finding it hard to get the ball rolling really. I'm not used to canvassing and pricing although I've got the hang of pricing now. I am finding it really hard to get work together and after spending about £3000 all in to get all my gear together I really need to start earning some of it back.
I live on the Wirral was was just wondering if anybody knows of any ways I could maybe rent some work or any ways of getting some work in asap?

Re: Newbie got a few questions.
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 10:12:12 pm »
only way is to go door knocking. i find leaflets dont work i prefer to talk to the customer, explain things that i do and how much its going to be.  In a way you can talk some people into having you.

colley614

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 10:18:19 pm »
What tricks do you use when canvassing. I was just wondering whens best, a weekend? and do you have a pre-thought up speech?

tacky

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 10:30:48 pm »
hi unless u ar lucky n can buy some work starting off is a bit of struggle for about 8 months i worked as a cleaner in aldi stores to supplement my  in come . i also cleaned some of the stores windows after a while. keep a look out for other win cleaners  most have some  work to pass on just dont get down hearted it soon build up

colley614

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007, 10:38:44 pm »
About an hour ago I was thinking about looking for a cleaners job. I did find a local guy who said "Come and work with me 1 day a week and any new work I get you can have." So I went out with him and done all his high level work for him took me about 10 hours as it was a block of apartments and he said "Here you go." And gave me 20 quid

After about a month of thinking I was getting ripped off I never got 1 job off him and was getting 20 quid for doing his hardest work so I jacked it.

I just need to keep at it, I know it will build up over time. I've gone from getting £2 a month to £100 quid a week in 3 months! Plus now I'm picking up about £10 quid a week in new work just by working and hopefully that will go up to about £15-20 in a month.

Biscute

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2007, 10:46:27 pm »
Hi keith i might be able to help you out mate, i do alot of wirral so email me dont reply on forum but tell me were you are from what equipment you have and your age. Also any other stuff that might be usfull.
Dont argue with a retard, they will just pull you down to their level and beat you with experience.

colley614

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2007, 10:50:32 pm »
I'm not much good with finding my way round a forum so could you link me your e-mail addy

Biscute

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2007, 10:54:49 pm »
No probs matey its keithwerbiskey@hotmail.com. you can click peoples name to see their profile.  ;)
Dont argue with a retard, they will just pull you down to their level and beat you with experience.

colley614

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2007, 10:59:46 pm »
Over to you Matey!

KJG

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2007, 11:00:49 pm »
A lot depends on the sort of people in the area where you're trying to get started. In general, middle aged and older types are usually the best to go for. Also, Indians are good punters but Pakistanis and Blacks won't pay for nowt - if I'm allowed to say that :-X

colley614

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2007, 11:06:02 pm »
Since I became a window cleaner I only go to chip shops with clean windows. I now eat a pizza hut, Lol.

rosskesava

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2007, 02:19:36 am »
You spent £3000?

What did you spend it on?

Cheers
Just chant..... Hare Krsna, Hare Krsna, Krsna Krsna, Hare Hare, Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare. It's beats chanting Tory Tory or Labour Labour.

pylofm

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2007, 07:26:21 am »
Hi Keith....I am like yourself and very much a newbie and still bashing the streets...looking for work....upto date I average aprox 400-500 leaflets out per week and as such I seem to get about 3 customers per week (average)...Some is now coming from word of mouth but most is via the leaflets...If you can canvass, I would suggest that this has got to be the way forward to seriously increase your customer base....

I also put adverts up in supermarkets on their notice boards, I always have a packet of leaflets on me and put them out when and wherever possible.

I have various area's where I work and I have printed off a map of each area and every time to go to an area I now releaflet the street I am cleaning every 3 to 4 months and the residual area when work is slack....print off some maps and just mark off the streets as you go....

Other than that I am sure the other members on this forum will come up with some cracking idea's....

It just takes time that is all I know... ;)

colley614

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2007, 01:31:09 pm »
You spent £3000?

What did you spend it on?

Cheers

A vehicle, 2 sets of ladders, applicators and squegee's, scrims, microfibre cloths, uniform, insurances, a years mot and road tax, stationary, computer, mobile phone.

I also paid for a website www.elitewindowcleaningnw.co.uk and a lot of business cards.

clean team

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2007, 01:41:33 pm »
try advertiseing in the parish mags they are a really good way of getting a lot of new work and they are only about £40 for the year. when you advertise in the chirch mag people think you are a chirch goer. and people seem to get a a lot of work from them. have a look in the yellow pages for places of worship and ring round to see if they do a parish mag.but be quick they are just redoing them now for the tax year

clean team

« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2007, 01:48:20 pm »
hear is a link to what other people say about the mag

http://www.cleanitup.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=34520.0

i put a wanted add on ebay for work in harrogate and had a couple of people get back to me.just becarfull how you word it because ebay will withdraw it .start with window cleaning round for sale. then put you are looking to buy work ;)

polarvision

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2007, 04:23:20 pm »
hi keith i,m just like u only just started and spent 10 grand on a van and system the works very slow coming in, i ad some glossey leaflets printed and went posting on industrial estates no replys as yet so just keep going  things will pick up soon ,    good luck john.
all singing and dancing window cleaner

colley614

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2007, 05:05:28 pm »
I've just contacted my local parish. Hopefully I will hear from them soon and get the ball rolling.

Has anybody got any tips on collecting money in? Ways to get people to pay money straight into the bank?

marc al

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2007, 05:13:24 pm »
  Go back and collect the money for the time being. You are going to need the cash flow rather than waiting for the money to come to you, also this gives you a chance to chat with the customer and allow then to  get to know you, this way chances are you will start to get more refferals.

Marc

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2007, 05:17:48 pm »
Hi mate.

If my customers arnt in i leave a envelope, no stamp on, 1st line of their address & price on the inside. Most of my customers are good at sending a cheque.

I'm not into going out collecting but it works well for me.

Macc