Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

nat

white blade streaks on inside glass
« on: March 15, 2007, 07:13:09 am »
I have been using an unger pro blade with a little fairy on the insides of a few commercials but the last couple of times when i've been two weeks later there are a few white blade marks, these didn't appear until a few weeks ago, they also don't seem to be there when i have finished either, just wondering if they appear a bit later in the day once dried, do you think the rubber could be at fault?

i only use WFP mostly so excuse my ignorance on trad methods

any help would be good thanks

Sir Squeaky

Re: white blade streaks on inside glass
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2007, 03:32:48 pm »
Hi Nat.

They would be there when you've finished, it's just they're easier to see when they've fully dried.

Without a doubt it's the edges of your squeegee.
Have a look at them, there may be a slightbreak or cut in it.

If you've plenty of overhang, then just cut the edge back a bit, and make a nice square edge.
If not, it's time for a new rubber, or at least turn it over.

Have a look at all different angles when you've finished, and buff it there and then if you see anything.

One big tip...

When you're not using your squeegee always keep it submerged in water.
It will dry out very quick, then it won't work properly at all.
  ;)

I didn't work for 3 weeks and my squeegee was fine, but I've left one dry for a weekend and it's been ruined.

Rog.

ps: Well done everyone for the help you've given the new guy. ::)
It wasn't exactly a hard question for anyone to answer.

But then it shows that all anyone cares about is wfp... ::)

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2007, 09:07:57 pm »
I thought you were saying thank you for the help you've been given.

I couldn't have answered that, and very few as well as you did.

Ever heard the expression putting a bit back?
'bout time you helped someone.

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2007, 10:49:29 pm »
Excuse me Mr.Curious. :o

I help whenever I can.
It's not my fault 90% of problems are wfp and I know nothing about it.

The fact is, probably 90% of wfp'ers learnt trad, so I'm hardly the only one who could help.

It's just that unless it involves pumps or brushes no-one cares. ::)

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2007, 06:38:48 am »
I also had this problem and found that less squeegee off in my bucket did the trick!!
I change my rubber (or turn it) every day

TonyMarti

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2007, 04:45:37 pm »
You could try bending down slightly the end of the blade holder to put a little pressure on the end of the rubber-it takes a bit of trial & error to get it right but it seems to stop the streaks.

Regards Tony
Servicing the Kingdom of Fife

nat

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2007, 09:32:16 am »
cheers guys, i swapped my rubbers round, didn't use as much fairy and it seems to of done the trick so thanks  :D

Mike_G

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2007, 11:04:52 am »
Bit late now but it sounds like a little to much soap.

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2007, 12:32:15 pm »
Rog

Is that common knowledge about keeping the rubber submerged, to be honest in 9 years i have never heard of that or noticed anything different either way.

What do the manufacturers reccommend ?

Dave

Pj

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2007, 01:04:49 pm »
No it is not common knowledge!
This is my 21st year windowcleaning and I have never bothered keeping the squeegee wet.  The rubbers are months old when we purchase them and they sit around for a good few weeks before use.
It is true that rubber deteriorates in time but there is no real need to keep it wet.
The problem is either rubber "kicks" dried on the glass, or a nick in the rubber, which is easy if they are a 'soft' rubber.

Ian_Giles

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2007, 07:21:02 pm »
Rog,
I've generally found that trad queries get lots of replies, lets face it, almost the whole lot of us started out trad and those that post on here generally love to share their knowledge around.
And there are so many new threads now that it is getting hard to keep up!!

But white streaks on glass?
As others have said, nicks in the squeegee rubber, worn rubber or too much detergent in the water, all can cause problems.
Also, even the best of jobs can look poor if the sunlight is at the right (or wrong :-\) angle.

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2007, 01:36:27 pm »
So this thing about keeping the squeegee wet, is this true or not? Or might it have something to do with the people using fairy, and that messing it up when it's dry?

simon knight

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2007, 01:50:55 pm »
Rog,
I've generally found that trad queries get lots of replies, lets face it, almost the whole lot of us started out trad and those that post on here generally love to share their knowledge around.
And there are so many new threads now that it is getting hard to keep up!!

But white streaks on glass?
As others have said, nicks in the squeegee rubber, worn rubber or too much detergent in the water, all can cause problems.
Also, even the best of jobs can look poor if the sunlight is at the right (or wrong :-\) angle.

Ian, re your last sentence: I know that sunlight at the right(wrong) angle shows up every last defect in the glass and every blade/scrim mark, corners not quite got into, the odd smear/streak etc etc...but does this also go for wfp or does it pass the sunlight test 100% ?

Ian