This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Mike_G

Re: sacked coz wfp!
« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2007, 10:42:34 am »
If there is no glass on the top then wfp would make a mess inside. The water would just squirt straight in. It sounds as if some of your job could indeed be done wfp and parts trad with great care it, sounds like an old building and I would guess very thin glass.

WavieDavie

« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2007, 10:52:15 am »
in some cases where the glass has started to go back to its liquid form it has dripped to the point of there being no glass at the top of the pane.

As you point out later in your post this is leadwork - the glass isn't regressing, the lead framing is needing serviced to stop it leaking, or replaced.

If the frames are leaking, they can't be wind-tight either. Their heating bills must be something else! I'd mention to your potential client that for windows which do the job properly, wfp is the way to go - much faster and an outstanding result vs traditional.

Anyone retiring isn't going to drop the equivalent of a £760 per week job - they'd sell it on. Find out the real story. I'm assuming that this is a large country mansion/palace? He'd be better having someone full-time doing windows - the money he would eventually save would be enough to have his windows repaired and then he'd have lower fuel bills too.

That'll be a Fiver, thanks!
You're a Scottish window-cleaner? Licensed or not, get yourself along to www.slwcn.org right now !

Davie Park
Dalzell Window Cleaning Service - Edinburgh www.windowscleaner.co.uk

Paul Coleman

« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2007, 11:05:42 am »
how daft are some people? - wants to save water!! Its a joke, over 70% of earth is covered in the stuff!!

Here's ya link.Now what i have i misread? Or do you have a desalination plant in those trucks as well?....

:)   He only said what was on the Earthj.  Didn't say he used it for cleaning windows.  

So what was he talking about then? In a discussion about WFP and Window Cleaning, you're now saying he was'nt actually talking about window cleaning.
The point was raised about drought, he added the world was covered in 70% of water.Sea water. Therefore i  can only assume you clean windows with sea water.

Well just read what he said.  No need to put your own personal interpretation on it.

Liahona

« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2007, 11:41:58 am »
WavieDavie, the glass is regressing but there is also a lot of repair work needed too.  So my earlier comments are as they said.  There is both leaded and "normal" glass within the building.  But thankyou for the comments. 

Mike, exceptionally thin glass.

As to the retirement.  Due to disclosures this type of job can not be sold on, if that makes sense.  I have clients too that stipulate if I was ever to sell my business that they did not go with the sale.  So I understand that side of what is going on.   

The gentleman retireing has been maintaining the property for I think he said 15 years, on his own and has enjoyed it from start to finish he says.  So although not too much monies for doing it it has served him very well. 

The idea I think is a bit like the painting of the Golden Gate Bridge.   Once you finish you just start again.

Anyway, again thanks for the comment and I gather then that both systems could be used with caution of course to where one or the other couldnt be used.

And that the wfp and the trad just voiced an opinion against the other.

Best and thanks again, Dave.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2007, 01:12:58 pm »
Perhaps a mixture of platforms/ladders and wfp all used intelligently is the way to go....

Oh, and NickOZ your profile says your location is Sydney Australia so you may be British (I don't care if you're Martian! ;D) but you're not working in the current British marketplace as a resident here and so may not be best qualified to comment on wfp use.
It's a game of three halves!

Ian_Giles

« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2007, 07:11:21 pm »
with the leaded work, If the glass isn't too bad, and particularly if the insides are also done, then any trickles and runs of water would be picked up when the insides were done.
With some of the extremely lightweight brushes and poles that are now on the market, even fragile glass can be cleaned with WFP, the bristles are soft and very litle pressure is applied.
I wouild say it is a case of mix and match, much as Malc has said.

Unfortunately, you won't know for sure which will be best until both methods are experimented with.

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

Pure H20 Cleaning Services

« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2007, 09:01:16 am »
THIS MAY SOUND ODD BUT I CLEAN A FEW HOUSES WFP 1st FLOOR & TRAD ON THE GROUND FLOOR & THEY ARE MORE THAN HAPPY. IT WILL JUST TAKE TIME FOR PEOPLE TO GET USED TO THE IDEA THAT US YOUNGER CLEANERS WITH YOUNG CHILDREN WON'T RISK WORKING OFF LADDERS & NOT SEEING OUR KIDS AGAIN FOR £6.00.
In the kingdom of the blind
The one eyed man is king

brett walker

« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2007, 06:46:26 pm »
I sold some work onto another window cleaner last year wfp, hes absolutely crap-cowboy! >:(  Some of the cuatomers have askes me to go back to them but when i sell work i guarentee i wont go back on it

I feel that i have let the customer down therefore i started passing them on to another window cleaner that does a good job, mind i am a hard act to follow ;)

Brett

EasyClean

« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2007, 09:36:56 pm »
I clean a listed building that has very thin old original glass that is a minimum of 150 years old. I use a gardiners supalight pole and brush head and cold water (not warm or  hot like I normally use) just to be on the safe side and just go slowly and very carefully and have been safe so far with regards the glass. No breakages yet! Amazingly not one pane of glass leaks on the sash wooden window frames.
Losing a customer is like waiting for the next bus, another one will come along shortly!

gaza

« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2007, 08:32:57 am »
BRETT NAME AND SHAME ME .WAS IT ME YOUR ON ABOUT AGAIN IF SO I THINK U ORT TO DO THE PREVIOUS MENTIONED,AS ON HERE U SLAG PEOPLE OFF TO MAKE URSELF LOOK GOOD,AND AS IVE NOT HAD  A COMPLAINT SINCE A YEAR LAST NOV I TAKE ITS NOT ME THIS TIME. ;D BUT SOME ONE ELSE.

GAZA
IM AT THAT AGE MY BACK GOES OUT MORE THAN I DO

J. Deans

« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2007, 09:31:11 am »
Last summer, we had a busy period in new-build cleaning on a large development.
They wanted the windows (front elevation only) cleaned on 15 empty houses, every 2 weeks.
By 'front elevation' we mean sills, downpipes, doorframes and metering boxes etc.

We did it ouselves for a while, then we subcontracted the work to a WC.
Average 6 windows per house and front door. We paid him £30 per house (we were getting £40 from the contractor)

Everything was fine at first. Then he went WFP. The complaints came in thick and fast from the site agents and the sales people. Streaks, smears etc.
We asked him to go back to traditional and he refused - so we sacked him!

We understand that he had invested a lot of money in his WFP, but to simply refuse to go back to traditional and lose £450 for 2 - 3 hours work, is beyond me!

JM123

« Reply #51 on: March 20, 2007, 11:42:22 am »
wow!!  Hadn't looked at this post in ages!!  ok NickOZ - what I was saying is that the earth has an abundance of water, over 70% of the earth is covered by hundreds feet of it!  I wasn't saying sea water could be used for wfp, you could pass it through a high pressure membrane to make it suitable but it wouldn't be as easy as using tap water.  Secondly the water companies lose millions of litres of freshwater per day due to their incompetence, greed and poor management so no, britain doesn't have a water problem and what happens the water we don't use?? It evaporates from the reservoirs and lakes - all part of the cycle.
Live life in the fast lane.......if you break down you'll freewheel further

Ballymena N.I

brett walker

« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2007, 06:35:07 pm »
BRETT NAME AND SHAME ME .WAS IT ME YOUR ON ABOUT AGAIN IF SO I THINK U ORT TO DO THE PREVIOUS MENTIONED,AS ON HERE U SLAG PEOPLE OFF TO MAKE URSELF LOOK GOOD,AND AS IVE NOT HAD  A COMPLAINT SINCE A YEAR LAST NOV I TAKE ITS NOT ME THIS TIME. ;D BUT SOME ONE ELSE.

GAZA

;)

I think ive got a paranoid old man stalking me  ;D ;D ;D

mind you i like the idea of name and shame window cleaners, especially those who claim to have done it for 4 yrs but have only been legal for a year. :-X  Good thinking Gaza, i dont need cowboys to make me look good ive got 16yrs expierence if i didnt think you were capable i wouldnt have kept on passing work on to you my old chum!  We must catch up for a pint sometime, you can give me some advice on a van mount for hopefully when i get a bigger van

regards

Brett :-*

gaza

« Reply #53 on: March 20, 2007, 07:42:30 pm »
legal for a year  that why Ive three tax returns stamped by the tax office ,with 6 kids YOU ARE ENTITLED TO FAMILY WORKING TAX  AS WELL U KNOW. UR SLAGGING ME OFF AGAIN AND IM GETTING A BIT FEDUP WITH YOUR CONSISTANT SLY DIGS .OLD
MAN i MIGHT BE OLDER THAN YOU BUT STILL WORK AS HARD AS U AND AS FIT.
   16 YRS IS NOTHING WHEN YOUVE BEEN TRAD FOR 15 OFF THEM. WHO SHOWED YOU A FULL VAN MOUNT WFP SET UP AND HOW TO USE IT ? ME :-X OR DONT U WANT
ANYONE TO KNOW THAT.

HOWS UR DRUG SMOKING DOLE SIGNING COUSIN IS HE STILL WORKING FOR U ?
 GO FOR A DRINK NO THANKS RATHER DRINK WITH THE KRAY TWINS AT LEAST U EXPECT TO GET STABED IN THE BACK

GAZA
IM AT THAT AGE MY BACK GOES OUT MORE THAN I DO

brett walker

« Reply #54 on: March 20, 2007, 08:16:52 pm »
Hi Gaza

i think you are building your blood pressure up again old boy!  As i said earlier, paraniod :P

If you read back to my original post on this thread i sold work to a window cleaner last year did not mention your name in fact it was'nt even you i was refering to so calm down.  I have asked you before if you got anything to say please say it to my face and not make a big scene like a child, as you know i have passed work on to you these past few months i have no grevience with you.  I even offered you a lift to the show a small argument sometimes can get out of hand if you let it, 16yrs may be nothing but you know my reputation and my work and i am proud of it and yes you did show me your van mount and i was very greatful.
Any complaints i have had about you or regarding your tax returns etc are irrelevant to this forum that is your business private and confidential

If there is something bothering you please feel free to talk to me about it or i will come and see you tomorrow to get it sorted out mate

My drug smoking dole signing cousin known as "broken flask" as you named him has been gone a year this month good ridence, no i dont admit hes related to me :-[ but he was a good window cleaner just everything else about him was crap.  Hes now working off a rickety old ladder unsafe with worn feet round where he lives at 4 pound per house ::)

The Kray twins are now both dead i think they used to drink in the boat and horses ;D

regards

Brett

Liahona

« Reply #55 on: March 21, 2007, 07:13:44 pm »
Just to update, it has been sorted out now so thanks for the replies, on here and by e-mail.  Someone took it on who does both trad and wfp which I kind of guessed would happen.  He sold his services for 1000 a week to do what the other cleaner was doing and both the client and he is happy.  Thanks again, best, Dave.