This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Poll

Is this awful?

Yes, you should be ashamed, sell up, and move away.
33.3%
9 (33.3%)
No.
33.3%
9 (33.3%)
Parts of it are, i'll explain
33.3%
9 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Is this awful?
« on: March 05, 2007, 06:18:14 pm »
Sample Letter

Dear Customer

We are pleased to inform all our clients of some important changes we have made to our business.

In April 2005, the HSE put in place the European Law called the WAHD (Working at height directive). This new law, states that any person using a ladder in any working activities has to prove there is no other safer method of carrying out their job, other than that of a ladder. This new law has forced many businesses to review their working practices, including businesses like ours.

In order to comply with this new law and also to protect our clients from any legal action from the HSE we have made a major investment in the latest window cleaning technology, using Water Fed Poles.

The method we use on windows is pure water, which has gone through the process of Reverse Osmosis and has been De-Ionised

IMPORTANT INFORMATION

PLEASE DO NOT WORRY THAT YOUR WINDOWS HAVE BEEN LEFT WET, THIS IS PART OF THE CLEANING PROCESS AND THEY WILL DRY STREAK FREE.

Due to the water being pure, it absorbs all dirt on contact and drains away. This also includes the build up of dirt and soap from previous cleans that has been absorbed into the frames.
This may result in your first window clean having small spot marks left on the glass.
If you feel the marks are excessive, please don’t hesitate to contact us and we will rectify this.

On the second and subsequent cleans, you will find that the windows dry spot free, as any build up of dirt and soap was previously dissolved on the first clean.

The result of these cleans are as factory finished polished glass. The method we use is very similar to the method glass producers use to clean and polish glass.

For some buildings, using Water Fed Poles will not be an option because of access of other factors. Once a risk assessment is complete these may be cleaned by traditional methods.
Prices will NOT be increasing due to our investment..

Thank you for reading this information and if you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact us.

Moderator David@stives

Re: Is this awful?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2007, 06:21:18 pm »
The Water fed pole system

Your upstairs windows have been cleaned today using a method, which will soon be the industry standard. As a company wanting to be at the forefront of our industry, we have decided to invest in this technology which involves the use of telescopic poles and 100% pure water, which we filter through de-ionisation vessels.

We are embracing this technology for a number of reasons

1). Better cleaning results.  The major advantage of pure water is its desire to return to its impure state; hence its capacity to absorb large amounts of dirt from your windows .A word of warning this process involves brushing your windows clean with pure water.  As such they will be left wet and will need time to dry naturally. This may be a bit disconcerting at first, as obviously this is not what our customers are used to.

2). Health and safety.  Legislation being brought in from Europe will limit the use of ladders as temporary workstations. The law now states that ladders can only be used when all viable alternatives have been considered, and now waterfed pole systems are seen as a safer viable alternative and I don’t want to be held liable to prosecution for accidents to staff and customers. Accidents do happen (as I have fell off the ladder a couple of times myself) If we can do the job to a high standard whilst standing on the ground so much the better. Also we have been forced to pay increasingly higher public and employers liability insurance premiums, which is becoming unaffordable for the use of ladders, especially for staff. And ladders are no longer an option for my business

3). Environmentally friendly. Pure water only is used, eliminating the need for detergents and chemicals.

4). Reduced disturbance. No more dents in your lawn obviously we tried to minimise this aspect but sometimes the `old fashioned method` made it very difficult

5). Windows will stay cleaner .The absence of sticky soap residue means that dirt will find it harder to cling to your windows, hence your windows stay cleaner for longer.

Additional Benefits.

6). As your windows will be brushed clean almost unavoidably your frames will be cleaned at the same time

7). We can now reach with ease previously inaccessible aspects of your property. Third floor windows, conservatory roofs, windows above conservatory’s, that had to be previously left.

Please note that over the space of two or three visits the process will `leach` all deposits from around the frames, resulting in an improved finish each time, until ultimately the finish will effectively be sterile. Please be patient if the initial visit is not perfect, as we have been forewarned by our suppliers that two or three visits can be necessary for maximum effect.

I hope this has covered everything, that’s it lots of increased benefits .Our aim continues to give a high level service. Please feel free to phone or discuss any part of the above or indeed any other aspect of our service. If you have any concerns about this new way of cleaning your windows please let me know and we will endeavour to alleviate your concerns.

Yours thankfully

______________Window cleaning service

just copy and paste into ms word

simbag

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2007, 09:15:40 pm »
I basically used the same format as Dave's.

But rather than say that there could be spotting, which I thought would give customers something to look for and potentially complain about, I worded it slightly more subtly. At the end of the letter just add:

"Please note that I am as new to this technology as you, and therefore I have some learning still to do. However, I will endeavour to clean your windows to the same high standard that you are used to. If  however, you do find that there is something not to your satisfaction please advise me, and I will do my utmost to rectify the problem.

I hope this has covered everything. Please feel free to contact me to discuss any part of the above. I would also like to invite you to give me any feedback resulting from this new method of cleaning, good or bad, so as I can address or improve any issues in the future."

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2007, 09:30:06 pm »
Apart from the fact it's not actually a law, my main gripe is that it leaves the glass "polished"

As it technically "sterilizes" the window, it removes any trace of shiny substance.
There's no way they look as shiny as trad cleaned glass, because that's leaving a fine shiny film on the glass.

By all means tell the customer that (I will!), but it's not actually correct.

marc al

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2007, 09:38:49 pm »
  I should leave out the part about no price increases, atleast you then leave yourself an option, some people will even be expecting an increase.

I also never mention the words spots or streaks, as previously stated let then know the first clean may not be perfect and leave it at that.

I have never given a customer a letter, I just tell them that it is a new way of cleaning, then say dont worry that I leave your windows wet, they will dry perfect. I then say "Trust me, i'm a window cleaner!" and give them a little smile or wink if they are fit!!

Marc

cybersye

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2007, 10:18:45 pm »
On a light hearted note  ;D who actually states this?

"5). Windows will stay cleaner .The absence of sticky soap residue means that dirt will find it harder to cling to your windows, hence your windows stay cleaner for longer."

not really what we want to be telling our customers, doing ourselves out of monthly work!  :D

gaza

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2007, 10:31:58 pm »
OH SQUEEKS HAVING A GO AT WFP ERS NOW UVE JOINED US .LET ME ASURE YOU THEY  DO SHINE BETTER THAN TRAD ,REST ASSURED .EVERYTHING YOUVE READ ON HERE WILL COME TRUE  :D
             I WISH YOU EVERY SUCCESS IN YOUR NEW VENTURE AND IN A FEW MONTHS TIME YOULL BE SAYING WHY WERE I AN OSTRICH FOR SO LONG.

Hope your injury gets better fast

gaza
IM AT THAT AGE MY BACK GOES OUT MORE THAN I DO

jeff1

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2007, 10:35:35 pm »
I use the same one as Dave written by Duke no longer a member on here.
But I spent a few months before hand, Verbally explaining to my customers, that I was changing my method of cleaning and the reason why, (basically softening the customer up,) I found this way I could sort the ones out, I thought I may have problems with on the change over.

when I did start doing them wfp I gave each customer the explanation leaflet, I must admit I never lost one customer.

I did one customer last friday, (second time) who I thought I would have problems with, but he told me friday, that he had written a letter to the local parish magazine to tell them all about wfp and sing its praise.

My advice is soften them up first.

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2007, 11:03:14 pm »
Cheers Gaza, I'm looking forward to it.

But you're looking through rose-tinted glasses at it.
It doesn't shine more than trad.

You're totally degreasing them, the shine is removed.
I know from seeing them, and I know because it's an obvious fact.
You're not leaving a shiny film, and taking away any polish.

It's not having a go, it's a physical(or chemical) fact.

D.Salkeld_Ltd

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2007, 11:11:22 pm »

Sorry Squeeks, got to disagree with you there..................
Windows LOOK shinier AND SEEM to stay cleaner with WFP.

I see where you are coming from with your theory.  I seem to remember you are an ex car valeter? Which probably explains why you can't understand Pure Water cleaning.

David
Not Perfect - But Honest

gaza

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2007, 11:54:30 pm »
squeeks clean your car with pure water put it in your water washer bottle see the results

gaza
IM AT THAT AGE MY BACK GOES OUT MORE THAN I DO

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2007, 11:57:48 pm »
I know a valeter who's started using DI water to rinse cars with now.

He might not continue he says.
The reason? It strips all the shine, and means a much bigger polishing job.  ::)

Face facts guys, heads out of sand...
It's faster (generally).
Cleans frames.
Safer.
Less tiring.
And lots of other advantages.

Don't forget, I've got no reason to criticise, I'm doing it myself in the next few weeks.
I know it'll do an easier job for me.

But shinier?
Never in a million years.  ;)

chris@c.m.s

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2007, 01:05:40 am »
Judge it after youve cleaned your own windows with it, there is a vast differance between a polished/ painted surface on a car and a window, I will have invested a lot of money into wfp this year based not all on whats been said on here but what I've seen as well and what customers are saying, wfp isnt perfect sometimes when you think your rolling it will bite you in the arse, you then have to work out why ???  cant ever see me giving up the squeegy completely though.         
Sussex by the sea

poleman

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2007, 01:25:12 am »
I have to agree with David, windows do have a better shine with pure water - I have seen it time and time again - being a window cleaner of 20 years and a user of a WFP for 4 years

Andy

poleman

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2007, 01:29:51 am »
Apart from the fact it's not actually a law

It went thought the house of parliament and is written into UK law

But would agree it wasn't the HSE put in place the European Law called the WAHD (Working at height directive). It was the Government and not one of its departments (HSE) 
Andy

Paul Coleman

« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2007, 05:16:54 am »
On a light hearted note  ;D who actually states this?

"5). Windows will stay cleaner .The absence of sticky soap residue means that dirt will find it harder to cling to your windows, hence your windows stay cleaner for longer."

not really what we want to be telling our customers, doing ourselves out of monthly work!  :D

Exactly !!  The last thing I wanted was to give customers an excuse to try and reduce the frequency.

Ian_Giles

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2007, 06:38:08 am »
The Water fed pole system

I hope this has covered everything, that’s it lots of increased benefits .Our aim continues to give a high level service. Please feel free to phone or discuss any part of the above or indeed any other aspect of our service. If you have any concerns about this new way of cleaning your windows please let me know and we will endeavour to alleviate your concerns.

Yours thankfully

______________Window cleaning service

just copy and paste into ms word

Just a comma missing after 'That's it ;D

And the following full stop is one space too far ;)

Seriously though, as an explanation I think Dave's version is a good one..though I wouldn't mention anything about spots and so.

I've never bothered with an explanation letter for the most part, as most of my domestic stuff was brand new work anyway, but I do verbally tell any new customers that if there is a problem, just ring me within 24 hours and I'll come back and rectify it.

Glass shinier?
No, I don't think it is any 'Shinier' as such, potentially cleaner yes, and a more thorough job due to the ease with which you can clean the frames, giving the impression that the windows are cleaner, and therefore shinier...if you see what I mean ???
when you polish something, it appears shiny because you have 'filled in' inperfections in the surface, or put a layer of 'gloss' on a mat surface, glass isn't the former...but it is occasionally the latter!
Except that you'd have to use something like old fashioned windolene to polish it!

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES