This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

fenscouse

business name
« on: March 05, 2007, 01:01:46 am »
hi,

i have been trading as a sole trader for a few years now and have just called myself "my own name window cleaning". now i want to change as i offer other cleaning services too. just for an example gonna change to say premier cleaning services, do i have to tell the inland revenue straight away? and on the tax return do i have to mention changing names?

thanks

Trevor Knight

Re: business name
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2007, 09:05:37 am »
If you start a new business under a new name then yes you need to notify the appropraite authorities, Tax, accountant etc.... You may want to check your name as if you trade under a name that already has a status in the same industry you could find yourself in hot water so to speak.

Trev
Covering Hampshire, Dorset, Surrey, Berkshire

fenscouse

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2007, 01:22:03 pm »
cheers for that trev. but is this classed as starting a new business? or am i just changing name? so do i need to notify the appropriate authorities. im not registering as a ltd company, just as a sole trader?

Trevor Knight

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2007, 05:11:11 pm »
I don't think it is too much hassle just to change your trading name but you are best to check with your accountant as there are certain tax implications associated with this change.

Just best to be safe rather than sorry at a later date ;O(
Covering Hampshire, Dorset, Surrey, Berkshire

Andy@w.c.s

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2007, 05:23:22 pm »
Hi
If you change your name and make it  Joe Bloggs trading as shiney windows
you may have to change your bank account
this may be a hassle
But most banks will give you free banking for a year
You will need to inform everyone Tax Ni accountant, suppliers, and of course your customers
Regards
Andy

williamx

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2007, 05:40:27 pm »
You can do a free name search here http://www.start.biz/home.htm