This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Sir Squeaky

Pricing up WFP.
« on: March 01, 2007, 08:24:10 pm »
Hi everyone, hope I can get some help here. :)

Due to this injury I'm not going to be working for at least another week or so.
The thought of going back to scrubbing and carrying ladders fills me with fear of re-injury. :-\

After having a go at Ian Giles's lightweight pole today I think now would be the best time to get kitted out, as I'm not working and I've got plenty of time on my hands.

What I'd like to know is a fairly accurate estimate on how much it will all cost.

I'd like a fairly light pole though, but not expensive like carbon.
(I think Tosh has some cheap light job)

I want a cheap van mount, as I'm not lugging barrels about or a backpack.

If I can get an old Astramax or something for £500, will I get it all set up under £1200?

Cheers, Rog.
(Ian will tell you a funny story about today...well, it wasn't funny for him :-X  ;D)

Re: Pricing up WFP.
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2007, 08:35:53 pm »
Best of luck Roger. I hope your luck changes.Sounds like a sensible decision for the right reasons.

brightnclean

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2007, 09:01:23 pm »
Hi Rog.

Have a look at this system http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PRO-250-LTR-WATER-FED-POLE-WINDOW-CLEANING-VAN-SYSTEM_W0QQitemZ260090970120QQihZ016QQcategoryZ112579QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Just about all you need there. Maybe the only thing you might want to change or buy elsewhere is the pole as it's a fibreglass one. Iv'e dealt with Pure Freedom and if you give them a call I am sure they will try to help you.

Cheers and I hope you are OK soon

Clear Vision

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2007, 09:04:05 pm »
Rog,

Are you drunk?

Your going to switch to wfp?  :o :o

Good luck to you and on a serious note i'm sorry to hear of your injury.

Matthew

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2007, 09:11:32 pm »
Hi Rog.

Have a look at this system http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PRO-250-LTR-WATER-FED-POLE-WINDOW-CLEANING-VAN-SYSTEM_W0QQitemZ260090970120QQihZ016QQcategoryZ112579QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Just about all you need there. Maybe the only thing you might want to change or buy elsewhere is the pole as it's a fibreglass one. Iv'e dealt with Pure Freedom and if you give them a call I am sure they will try to help you.

Is this system one which even purifies on board so I wouldn't need a water tank at home?
That would be a great help, as that's my main problem.

Also, what's wrong with fibreglass poles?
Are they not light?

Clear Vision

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2007, 09:14:26 pm »
fibre glass poles are ok up to 30ft. any higher than that and you would really strugle

brightnclean

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2007, 09:38:01 pm »
Hi Rog.

Is this system one which even purifies on board so I wouldn't need a water tank at home?
That would be a great help, as that's my main problem.

Also, what's wrong with fibreglass poles?
Are they not light?

You would need an outside tap Rog and probably a drive. I reckon all you would need to add would be a ball-cock shut off valve but the van would have to be hooked up to the tap basically overight. Its an RO system so it wont purify on demand but it should easily fill the tank overnight.

I only mentioned changing the pole because you have had a go with a CF one I presume which is lighter but the fibreglass at 18 ft ish is not heavy at all. Just heavier than the CF ones.

I,ve read your many pro-trad posts but honestly Rog. Make the change while you can. Despite your many reasons for not going WFP the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages and most importantly you will be far safer.

Ian_Giles

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2007, 09:39:16 pm »
Mmm, I'll do a thread with regards my 'funny story' as Squeaky puts it :'(

Rog,

Check out this thread, I mentioned it to you earlier;

http://www.cleanitup.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=33473.msg262194#msg262194

It's about his DIY carbon pole....

Something like an Astramax should be able to have something like a 350l tank....at least I would think so, I'm sure someone on here will know what its load capabilities are...
Without researching through the various suppliers sites, you shouldn't be too far wide of the mark.
You will probably be better off nipping over to Matts DIY site for more info on putting a sytem together from scratch.

Lets see...
Van tank.........£150
Cage for tank £100-150
R/O.................£150
Pole................£200 (including pole hose & brush)
hose...............£60   (microbore, 100m)
Reel.................£55 (a decent steel one)
Battery............£40
Water butts ...£60 (garden centre)
Delivery pump £120
Transfer pump £50
Hose for transfer pump £50 (ish, depending how long a run of it you need)

That takes you up to just over a grand or so....those prices aren't too far off, and providing you are prepared to set everything up yourself, allowing for things I've forgotten! you should be able to get sorted for around £1,200

I'm sure others will have plenty to add....

Ian

Mmm, 5 replies since i started this reply!
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2007, 09:44:15 pm »
Ouch Ian!  :o
People have said it's a lot cheaper than that.  :(

I meant finding an old van for £500-odd, so could I get a system for £700?

I can't fill a van overnight, as it's on the road down 14 steep steps and across the pavement.

Suddenly I can't see this happening. :(

kiral1404

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2007, 09:54:28 pm »
Why don't you ask tosh or ian to sell you some of their water. that way you only need the van equipment save you on a ro, storage tank transfer pump and hose etc

brightnclean

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2007, 09:55:14 pm »
Rog.

Have you got room for an IBC or a couple of water butts?

If so what you could do is fill them up and then as Ian says just use a sub pump with transfer hose to get the water into your van tank. It would take less than 5 mins to fill it. You can get a decent sub pump and enough transfer hose for well less than £100. A 2nd hand IBC,pump and transfer hose should be £100 quid..ish all in.

JM123

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2007, 09:57:55 pm »
Ian Giles or Tosh, whats the tds of your tap water - di only might be ok.

we gotta get squeeky hooked in here before he changes his mind!! ;D
Live life in the fast lane.......if you break down you'll freewheel further

Ballymena N.I

Bazzy1999

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2007, 09:58:04 pm »
squeeky its 1st march not 1st april......  ;D

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2007, 10:00:37 pm »
I know, but Ian gave me a "cracking" idea today.
I'd better "snap" to it. ;D

Private joke, he'll tell you in his own time... ;D

chris@c.m.s

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2007, 11:33:01 pm »
If your van is down 14 steps then you wont need transfer pump, I'm in a maisonete and at the moment only have a 125ltr tank in a volvo estate, I produce the water indoors store it in a slim waterbutt in the kitchen, run a hose to the car open the tap and it takes about 10 mins, if you have a garden you could make enough to fill your van.   
Sussex by the sea

Ian_Giles

« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2007, 06:34:52 am »
Rog,
You can certainly set yourself up in WFP for less than that, but to get the system YOU want then I think £1200 is pretty good.
You could shave a good 150 quid off that by going for cheap poles, a little more by going for a 60psi pump, the shurflo ones are cheaper than the one I have in the back of the van.
You could save money on your water butts, heck, I picked up my 1000l IBC tank for nowt.
Your leisure battery can be picked up for £30.
And as has been pointed out, you could also do away with the transfer pump, another £40 saving
If you are really prepared to hunt around and be prepared to settle for less than you want then you can certainly get up and running for less.

But you do need a light pole, and I know you want to cut down on time faffing about charging water tanks and so on.
I am well aware that you really do want to come home from work and forget about it until you get up in the morning and drive off to start your new day, but you will have to at least put up with five or ten minutes to re-fill your van tank at the end of the day, so you also need a system in place that makes that an easy task.

Seriously Rog, have another chat with your business bank manager and tell him your plans, I think you will find he will help you.

I know you still find it hard to believe, but you WILL very quickly find that your earnings will start to climb, and if you have the balls for it you can up your prices by about an average of £1.50 per account.
Stop spluttering!
I'm telling you that you can!
Take a look at your total situation, you are currently incapacitated, even when you were fine you were struggling to pay your tax bill (not your fault I know) At one point it looked like you only had £150 to buy a new car with, and yet you work hard every day.....

No matter how you continue in window cleaning, you need to increase your earnings.

You simply tell your customers that you have no option, you are too cheap, you increase the price or you have no option but to get out of window cleaning, plus you are damaging your health by your current method of working and have to invest in the new technology...and so on and so on.

Some of your work you will be able to put up by more than that, so initially you should be able to boost your income, even allowing for a handful of cancelations...

It will take you a couple of months to get the hang of things, and you'll have loads of frustrations getting it right, but you will also have a couple of mates close by to help you out.

It takes effort, but the benefits can be enormous, I've told you the kind of money I'm earning now (not to be repeated on here by the way!) my commercial work has indeed increased but the biggest increase by far is my residential work.
Without WFP I wouldn't stand a hope in hell of earning what I do now.

Bite the bullet dude, raise the finance.

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

AuRavelling79

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2007, 07:17:35 am »
No matter how you continue in window cleaning, you need to increase your earnings.

You simply tell your customers that you have no option, you are too cheap, you increase the price or you have no option but to get out of window cleaning, plus you are damaging your health by your current method of working and have to invest in the new technology...and so on and so on.

Some of your work you will be able to put up by more than that, so initially you should be able to boost your income, even allowing for a handful of cancelations...

It will take you a couple of months to get the hang of things, and you'll have loads of frustrations getting it right, but you will also have a couple of mates close by to help you out.

It takes effort, but the benefits can be enormous, I've told you the kind of money I'm earning now (not to be repeated on here by the way!) my commercial work has indeed increased but the biggest increase by far is my residential work.
Without WFP I wouldn't stand a hope in hell of earning what I do now.

Bite the bullet dude, raise the finance.
Ian

This part of Ian's post is so important Squeaks.

Beg steal or borrow some dosh somewhere - it's a business expense against tax - pay it back at £100 a month over two years and you should be able to borrow £2K.

£500 will only get you a tired, tired old van that will break down and cost a fortune at MOT time. Spend more. Even if its on a lease. Ask on the forum if anyone is trading up and might have something decent to sell you.

It's a game of three halves!

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2007, 09:19:12 am »
To be honest I had to ring my bank manager yesterday about my account, and how the bills were going to get paid.

They gave me a fairly big overdraft and told me not to worry.
I was only on the phone 5 minutes! Who says banks are tossers all the time?
I could spend some of that overdraft, but I don't really like to take advantage of their help, and p*ss them off after they bailed me out. :-\

I can borrow £1000 off my parents and add a couple of hundred myself, but I still need a van too.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2007, 09:33:20 am »
Ouch Ian!  :o
People have said it's a lot cheaper than that.  :(

I meant finding an old van for £500-odd, so could I get a system for £700?

I can't fill a van overnight, as it's on the road down 14 steep steps and across the pavement.

Suddenly I can't see this happening. :(

I had problems with facilities too Rog.  I got lucky when I put the word out though.  I got a static tank with RO and some VERY cheap premises about 4 miles from home (I pay them with a bit of free window cleaning).  If you put the word out and discuss the situation with people, you might just get lucky with a place to put the tank.  Van ROs are all very well but they do tie up the vehicle and, like you, I have to park in the street while my home is set back a long way from the road.
That pole that Ian has is extremely light (I assume he was showing you the Superlight).  I had a very brief go with one the other day.
Have you considered acupressure/acupuncture for that neck/shoulder problem yet.  When I had something like that some years ago, it was the single thing that helped the most.  Takes a while and costs (and I know money is tight) but you would be investing in yourself and your health.
I hope you get something sorted.  You're fortunate that you have a number of WFPers in your area to help you get the feel of things.