Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Paul Coleman

Another customer lost
« on: February 27, 2007, 01:31:05 pm »
Just got a cheque through the post with a cancellation note.
I've been operating a payment by post system for a few years now and a customer has suddenly decided that sending a cheque is a hassle that they don't want.  Although he's a nice old fella, I have been accused in recent years of (a) breaking his washing line (b) damaging a window frame (c) damaging tile hanging.  I have done none of these.  I have a minimum charge of £10.00 for new work and I've been doing his for £6.50 for far too long.  I just wish he had cancelled sooner even though he is a good laugh to chat with.

brett walker

Re: Another customer lost
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2007, 01:38:31 pm »
Sounds like hes a crackpot i'd say good ridence to him, if hes accusing you of all these things bet hes badmouthing you to the neighbours.
I bet you replace him by the end of the week with a 10 pound job with less hassel  :)

regards

Brett

Paul Coleman

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2007, 02:02:44 pm »
Sounds like hes a crackpot i'd say good ridence to him, if hes accusing you of all these things bet hes badmouthing you to the neighbours.
I bet you replace him by the end of the week with a 10 pound job with less hassel  :)

regards

Brett

Hope I didn't give the wrong impression Brett.  I don't actually want to call him a crackpot.  I really think that his mind has become confused with age.  I first cleaned his windows about 12 years ago when he was quite mentally sprightly and in his late 70s.  He was an excellent artist and has done many wonderful clay models.  Sadly, these things have been put aside in recent years as he has got more confused.  I do actually quite like the guy and it's been sad to see his gradual decline as he approaches 90.  However, he has become hard work in recent years and it's sometimes taken as long to sort out payment as it has to do the job.  I used to do a lot of work in that road but most of them dumped me when I had a lengthy illness a few years back.  He stuck with me so I felt obliged to return the compliment.  It had got to the point where I had almost started to regard it as a charity job.  I could have earned double that money elsewhere (after allowing for the extra time taken after the actual clean) but stuck with it.
Even if he has said bad things about me to the neighbours, I'm not really bothered.  I have regularly refused work in that immediate area as it's a poor earner compared to other work I can do.  I only have one job left in that road now.  I used to have about 25.  For me, being ill turned into a longterm investment because a lot of customers dumped me.  The funny thing was that most of the dumping came from my poorer paid work.  The better off customers were more loyal - something that surprised me.

brett walker

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2007, 02:57:44 pm »

regards

Brett

Hope I didn't give the wrong impression Brett.  I don't actually want to call him a crackpot.  I really think that his mind has become confused with age.  I first cleaned his windows about 12 years ago when he was quite mentally sprightly and in his late 70s.  He was an excellent artist and has done many wonderful clay models.  Sadly, these things have been put aside in recent years as he has got more confused.  I do actually quite like the guy and it's been sad to see his gradual decline as he approaches 90.  However, he has become hard work in recent years and it's sometimes taken as long to sort out payment as it has to do the job.  I used to do a lot of work in that road but most of them dumped me when I had a lengthy illness a few years back.  He stuck with me so I felt obliged to return the compliment.  It had got to the point where I had almost started to regard it as a charity job.  I could have earned double that money elsewhere (after allowing for the extra time taken after the actual clean) but stuck with it.
Even if he has said bad things about me to the neighbours, I'm not really bothered.  I have regularly refused work in that immediate area as it's a poor earner compared to other work I can do.  I only have one job left in that road now.  I used to have about 25.  For me, being ill turned into a longterm investment because a lot of customers dumped me.  The funny thing was that most of the dumping came from my poorer paid work.  The better off customers were more loyal - something that surprised me.

Hi Paul

sorry mate :-[, didnt realise your customer is confused with age you may find he will ask you back sounds like deep down hes a decent chap, especially if he waited for you when you were ill.  So you will be be able to pay him the same respect, i just thought he was one of your everyday moaners

I have found over the years when you have been doing someones windows for a period of time you have a laugh with them cups of tea chats it makes your job more enjoyable and some of them become friends.  When some of them get illnesses or in some cases die it can be very upsetting this has happened to me a few times and have always paid my respects by buying them some flowers.

Without your loyal customer base we wouldnt have a business

Are you going to the show this year? im going the first 2 days

regards

Brett

Paul Coleman

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2007, 03:22:46 pm »

regards

Brett

Hi Paul

sorry mate :-[, didnt realise your customer is confused with age you may find he will ask you back sounds like deep down hes a decent chap, especially if he waited for you when you were ill.  So you will be be able to pay him the same respect, i just thought he was one of your everyday moaners

I have found over the years when you have been doing someones windows for a period of time you have a laugh with them cups of tea chats it makes your job more enjoyable and some of them become friends.  When some of them get illnesses or in some cases die it can be very upsetting this has happened to me a few times and have always paid my respects by buying them some flowers.

Without your loyal customer base we wouldnt have a business

Are you going to the show this year? im going the first 2 days

regards

Brett

It's OK Brett.  After looking at my original post I realised that I did make him look like a grumpy old moaner.  That was not my intention.  Just to re-inforce what I said about his confusion, he hadn't even written the cheque correctly - so I have added to it.  Nothing underhand of course.  He put the amount in numbers but forgot to enter the amount in words.  Anyway, I imitated his writing, after a fashion, and completed it.

I will be going to the cleaning show next month.  I want to build it in with a slightly longer break though.  I haven't decided how exactly to do this yet.  I might travel on northwards to visit my sister in Co. Durham (well someone's got to vet her new man).  On the other hand, I may decide to go down to Devon to visit other family members.  If I do the latter I'll probably hassle Ian Giles for a day out with him and his superlight on the way down.  I did meet up with Tony (Sair) yesterday for a go with his superlight and I was impressed.  I do want to experience it in action on a wider variety of jobs though before committing that sort of money and the best way to do that is to use it and see it being used on a normal day.  I am a believer in researching a product before making a purchase.  I reckon I will end up getting one but want to get my van signwritten first (at long last).
Anyway, I look forward to meeting you and others at the show.  As a teetotalling non-smoker, I'm not into smokey, boozy places but I can live with it for an evening in good company  :)