This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

julianbiggs

WFP..how do you do the following??
« on: February 26, 2007, 08:41:18 pm »
THIS IS NOT AIMED AT STaRTING AN ARGUEMENT BETWEEN WFP AND TRAD...THAT'S HAPPENED TOO MANY TIMES!!

But i do have a genuine question for all you wfpers which i think is fair...

How do you wipe and dry a window sill and the window frames when you're stood on the ground!

H h20

Re: WFP..how do you do the following??
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2007, 08:43:42 pm »
Why do we need to wipe and dry them,they are cleaned the same way as cleaning the glass with perfect results,
Gaz

Pureandclean

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2007, 08:43:57 pm »
We clean frame and sill with the brush and rinse off, no need to dry off.

julianbiggs

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2007, 08:47:26 pm »
So how does a brush get into those niggly little nooks and crannies where all the spiders are ?

edd

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2007, 08:49:51 pm »
it just does ok

Bazzy1999

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2007, 08:53:07 pm »
Gaz.. i used your swivel for the first time today.....  ;D  big time thanks  ;D  WFP has got even better..
Ill be after some more swivels coz im going to change all my poles over to it, so when you get some more in lets me know and ill have 5 off you.
Lets us know the price and ill get a cheque up to you..

Bazz...

steve k

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2007, 08:55:19 pm »
they dont... :(

If a WFP cleaner gets a chance to look at the sills, maybe when doing an inside clean...9 times out of 10, they will be pretty shocked.

If a really thorough first clean has been carried out and the house does not have many trees nearby...then maybe wfp will be adequate.
I have a run of houses with trees overlooking and every month the front sills are filthy.
I have no problem WFPing the whole run and then pitching a ladder up to the front sills and wiping them down with a damp scrim...it adds 5 minutes onto the job...5 houses...front sills only - the back sills are fine with a wipe over from the WFP.

this is the only run I do this on though and no-one else has ever complained so maybe it does the job for the customer... ???

H h20

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2007, 08:55:58 pm »
Gaz.. i used your swivel for the first time today.....  ;D  big time thanks  ;D  WFP has got even better..
Ill be after some more swivels coz im going to change all my poles over to it, so when you get some more in lets me know and ill have 5 off you.
Lets us know the price and ill get a cheque up to you..

Bazz...

Hi Bazz,
all my brushes have the swivel adapters fitted,they are an essential,
i`ll email you mate,
Gaz  ;)

ronaldo

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2007, 09:02:38 pm »
Tops i just do my best with the brush, but the bottoms i always squeegee excess water of and then wipe clean with a dry cloth.
A bad days fishing is better than a good days work !

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2007, 09:06:12 pm »
Why do we need to wipe and dry them,they are cleaned the same way as cleaning the glass with perfect results,
Gaz
Perfect. ;D ::)

Not too biased then Gaz...

I'm not going to inflame a war here. ;D
I know the real truth though. ;)

Pj

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2007, 09:34:45 pm »
Gaz
Perfect. ;D ::)

Not too biased then Gaz...

I'm not going to inflame a war here. ;D
I know the real truth though. ;)

I bet you've got one of those thingumys'?  Incredible!  I wish I had one!  How do you know what the first floor sills look like? 

I know one thing, if you keep wfp ing wooden windows and don't clean the sills thoroughly, the pure water breaks through the paint and the dirt just leaches in to the frames!  Because pure water is corrosive, and if the gloss is compromised you better rinse those sills good!

Bazzy1999

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2007, 09:41:35 pm »
I know a good painter.. :P

Pj

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2007, 10:05:18 pm »
Does he have a thingumy?

dai

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2007, 10:08:05 pm »
Pure water is no more corrosive than rain, Dai

Pj

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2007, 10:16:29 pm »
it is!  It directs a constant flow of more purified water at a specific space or object, but doesn't provide a constant rinse as rain does.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2007, 01:09:15 am »
THIS IS NOT AIMED AT STaRTING AN ARGUEMENT BETWEEN WFP AND TRAD...THAT'S HAPPENED TOO MANY TIMES!!

But i do have a genuine question for all you wfpers which i think is fair...

How do you wipe and dry a window sill and the window frames when you're stood on the ground!

I just brush along it with the water on and hope for the best.  There have been a few grumbles about this from some customers.  Although it may not be ideal, at least it prevents a build up of dirt.  I actually lost one customer over this issue but I would still rather do an imperfect job on the upper sills than go back to ladder climbing all day.  Like a lot of things in life, sometimes it's just a trade-off - imperfect sills vs. my safety and some speed.

Ian_Giles

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2007, 05:56:24 am »
WEll you are not going to guarantee getting upstairs sills spot on and gleaming it's true, but I'll bet most of us, prior to going trad, only gave them a quick wipe with a wet scrim or quickly nipped over them with the squeegee to blade the excess water off.
I for one never (or rarely I should say) rubbed them thoroughly with a wet scrim and then dried them with the dry scrim.

Spiders and other creepy crawlies are not a problem though, when you do the bottom edge of the window frame you scrub them out no problem, beseides, for the most part they are always in the top corners or tucked away on the top edges.

My own technique is generally to give the upstairs sill a quick wipe over with the brush as I complete the window.
I have a couple of customers who are very fussy over their sills, and I manage to keep them happy, so it really isn't much of a problem.

As for pure water being more corrosive...technically it may well be, but by the time it hits any bare wood or goes through splits and cracks in the paintwork it is almost instantly contaminated.
Condensation will settle on paintwork all the time, and THAT is purer than rain water as it hasn't fallen through the atmosphere...at least I reckon it is purer! Although I suppose you could argue that as it is part of the atmosphere then any contamination is already present :-\

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

brett walker

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2007, 07:49:49 am »
The way i do sills is, clean window first then put the brush accross the sill 3 or 4 times and then just rinse the window down and all the muck comes off.  If you wiped your sills when you were trad and you have now changed over to wfp they should be easy to do anyway, ive had no complaints yet

Some of the window cleaners that work in my area that are trad dont wipe the sills at all :o

Brett

pjulk

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2007, 12:43:46 pm »
I have had some problems with the edge of my 16 " vikan brush leaving black marks from the brush edge on some upstairs sills.

I am trying out a sill brush now but it feels weird using it.
And i managed to catch a poxy airvent with water with yesterday so had to get my other pole out with my 16 " vikan and redo with that.

I must say i can virtually guarantee perfect windows 1st time with the 16" vikan but at the moment i can't say that with the sill brush at the moment.

Some jobs i have been putting a damp applicator on an unger pole and just running that over the sill.
It may put a couple of minutes on the job but at least i know there clean.

Paul

Paul Coleman

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2007, 01:25:37 pm »
I have had some problems with the edge of my 16 " vikan brush leaving black marks from the brush edge on some upstairs sills.

I am trying out a sill brush now but it feels weird using it.
And i managed to catch a poxy airvent with water with yesterday so had to get my other pole out with my 16 " vikan and redo with that.

I must say i can virtually guarantee perfect windows 1st time with the 16" vikan but at the moment i can't say that with the sill brush at the moment.

Some jobs i have been putting a damp applicator on an unger pole and just running that over the sill.
It may put a couple of minutes on the job but at least i know there clean.

Paul

With the Vikan sill brush, I find the angle of the jets can make it easier to squirt water into vents.  I have used it without problems on ventless windows though but, like you, I do prefer the standard 16" brush.  I've not been aware of any black marks though.  I use a 10" Vikan (without the red surround) on ground floor windows and not noticed any black marks on those so I guess the upper floor windows are OK too.
As for the upper sills - I just do my best by guesswork.  Applicator is an interesting idea but think I'll only do that on a house if someone complains.