Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Shaun_Ashmore

how far afield do you
« on: February 25, 2007, 07:34:46 pm »
advertise?

I often have an idle mind on a Sunday so I was thinking of maybe advertising in other areas, how far afield do you advertise?

Advertise on a regular basis ie 20 or 30 miles away??

Ian Rochester

Re: how far afield do you
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2007, 07:57:52 pm »
We cover all of Northumberland and into the Scottish Borders, in reality probably up to 50 miles north into the Borders, 30 miles south to Newcastle and 30-40 miles west into the back of beyond!!!

Wish I lived in a high population area where I only needed to cover a couple of miles radius!

md_cleaning

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2007, 08:08:03 pm »
20 miles is the limit of my advertising, but most of it is in a 10 mile radius.
 Dave

Mike Halliday

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2007, 08:13:41 pm »
uptil 2yrs ago I tried to only cover Beverley which has a radius of about  2mls. Now I've moved to a village 4 miles outside of Beverley I travel into Beverley and 2 miles in the opposite direction into hull.

I'm in the new Y/P which unfortunetly cover an area 20mls away so I've arranged to pass work to a C/C in the next town.

I have 50-60,000 homes within 5miles of my home, why do I need to travel any further?

Mike
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2007, 08:32:14 pm »
Although Sheffield is a highly populated area there are 2 reasons why I ask this question

1. I have regular customers that have moved out of my area and I still service them providing they are not just having 1 carpet cleaned.

2. Not everyone wants to pay my price so would I be better casting my net a little further?

Obviously with a higher volume of calls I could be even more selective of my jobs,
or I could do what Mike does and just concentrate all my efforts into 1 area.

Shaun

Mike Halliday

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2007, 08:38:55 pm »
shaun, its Ok to work 20 miles away, but do you really want to do a 40ml round trip to quote a job you might not get :-\ :-\

I'll do a relative or recommend up to 20miles, but I'll never to go quote that far

Mike Halliday

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2007, 08:40:21 pm »
and if its 20 miles away they have to pay more

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2007, 08:59:37 pm »
Most of my quotes are done on the phone but I still don't want to do a job 20-30 miles away for £100.

You have single handedly answer my question, thankyou.

Shaun

spindle

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2007, 09:06:39 pm »
personally

i will go to the work wether its 20/30 or even 40 miles way
but i inform the custy of charges(travel time/ congestion charge/parking) all get added to the bill.........

most of my custys accept that and pay!!!!!!!
life is one big learning experience!!!!!!!

Mike Halliday

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2007, 09:16:46 pm »
Shaun, Ron Mayers used to recommend that if the job was quite a distance away you should book an appointment to quote, then if they agree do the job there & then.

I do this on jobs that have been recommended to me and are far away. most see the sense in it.

if anyone does work miles from home they should ring up existing customers in the same area and tell them you're working in their town/village/area and ask if they need any stains dealing with. (this is a very nonthreatening way of getting work)

Mike

PS; spindle for me to do a 80mile round trip would take 1hr 15 mins so if they are happy to have an extra £80-90 on the bill fine :)

jasonl

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2007, 09:19:35 pm »
I have just done a job in Portsmouth, and bought a small cc biz in London, which I will travel to every couple of weeks, I am in Sheffield 3 hours away, its about profit fo me, not distance. I alsociver selct homes in Manchester,50 miles away
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

Mike Halliday

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2007, 09:26:16 pm »
Jason are you still working on the job or is it done by technicians?

Mike

jasonl

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2007, 09:53:28 pm »
A bit of both , depends on the job and what else I am doing, there is no set way.
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

craigp

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2007, 10:21:54 pm »
around 15 miles is my most,  cant believe some do 50 :o

carpetguy

« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2007, 10:24:51 pm »
Shaun

Why not spend a little time on a newsletter to past clients, either for referrals ( with a carrot ) or just to remind them of your wonderfull service.

rob

nick p

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2007, 10:42:15 pm »
i only travel 15 miles most jobs are within 5 miles though

ianharper

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2007, 07:35:44 am »
Shaun

You have hit a very important issue. demographics as you say you live in a city and not all the population are the right demographic for your services.

Its importance to make your marketing budget go as far as you can, and being all things to all people can water down your message, and waste money.

The trick here is to be a big fish in a little pond. spending your money where it will give you the best return. mapping out the city selecting what areas you feel will match your customer profile.

I have some information that jim wolverton (pink leaflet fame) had in his info pack about profiling. i review it on my blog some time this week when i get a chance to look it up.

Mike's point on quoting is valid. I have an answer to this. fast track guys use a call centre service that i have use as well and is very personal sounding to your prospects. charges works on a per call basis. if you are thinking of going out off the city then using a 0800 number linked to this services would cut out the need to quote.

The guy that set this service had a carpet cleaning franchise and knows how to get his staff to quote over the phone. so its not like they don't know about carpet cleaning. two benefits here are first the 0800 number will let you track response as you get a statement each month. if you only use one number for this idea you will be able to see if it's worth the trouble.

second is that they can run a online diary that can be linked to your PDA.

they can if you want text you with the numbers so you can call back yourself.

sending out consumers guides and say an information DVD will impress an od these prospects. you would have to hide the distance issue from prospects as they will discriminate with regards this.

Or just set aside say one or two days a week where you work and quote only in this area.

hope this helps

good luck

Ian harper

Doug Holloway

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2007, 07:36:10 am »
Hi Guys

Since I have become internet based I am travelling much further sometimes into Kent and Suffolk, but only if the price is right.

It's a fine balance and I will probably sub contract the more distant work .

Cheers

Doug

stevegunn

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2007, 07:40:23 am »
I cover the whole of the north east including Northumberland.Also cover North Yorkshire if the price is right.