Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

ronaldo

How Much
« on: February 23, 2007, 02:34:40 pm »
Got asked to go and quote a nursing home today, total of 80 windows 2 conservatories and 8 patio doors all easy to get at and access good alround.

Heres how i worked my quote out.

80 windows £1.30 each =£104
8 patio doors £1.50 each = £12.00
2 conservatories £12.50 each= £25.00
Total price £141,00
Estimated time with 2 men 3 hours max

Happy with this and feeling good about the quote i call back at the office to talk with the supervisor over the matter, only to to get laughed at, he tells me my price is £70 more than he is being charged at the moment.
I tryed to explain that his windows looked liked they had,nt been cleaned for years and he assured me they are done every 3 months without fail, so i just bid him good day.

So my question is to the forum did i VASTLY over quote for this one or not.

Thanks Ron.
A bad days fishing is better than a good days work !

JM123

Re: How Much
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2007, 02:42:52 pm »
I would price

80windows - £40
8 patio doors - £10
2 conservatories - £? probably about £8 each. = £16

Total price - £66

Would take me on my own 2 hrs max wfp.

I know cuz I do one almost identical. It takes me just over an hour for £60
Live life in the fast lane.......if you break down you'll freewheel further

Ballymena N.I

ronaldo

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2007, 02:49:19 pm »
Thanks Jm, when i say 80 windows thats frames i,m going on and there are 3 windows in each frame if you understand what i mean.
A bad days fishing is better than a good days work !

JM123

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2007, 02:54:42 pm »
ahh yes I see now - £1 a window (3 panes) then minimum.  No I'd say at that then your quote was probably quite reasonable.
Live life in the fast lane.......if you break down you'll freewheel further

Ballymena N.I

Tosh

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2007, 03:13:28 pm »
Ronaldo,

Exactly the same thing happened to me last year (Cherry Tree Nursing Home - for the local lads).

I reckoned a fair price for the job was 80 quid, so I stuck a quote in for 60 quid.

It was an ideal job for us, since we pass it all the time and more than suitable for how Wor Lass and I work; therefore I thought a cheap quote would secure us a good job.

We didn't get it!

Chris Cottrell

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2007, 04:32:28 pm »
Ronaldo i think your spot on mate I do one of a similar size and it takes about the same time too
And yes you guessed it its about the same money too

they also have insides done too for nearly double bubble

So I say spot on mate their loss , if it don't look good now then that's no testimonial to the current cleaner is it ?

Chris

pjulk

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2007, 04:33:29 pm »
Tosh

Maybe they thought that your quote was a bit cheap and they were thinking you must cut corners to make a profit.

Paul

gary evans

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2007, 04:40:16 pm »
Ron i know exactly what you mean, this keeps happening.

I charge a realistic price 60p a window or metre & 40p for insides upto max of quarterly & iam to dear regularly.

I PRICED A MASSIVE CONTRACT UP 2 YEARS A GO AT 40p & was told prices on some buildings equated to 25p & less. I put one in for 30p & got it, recently priced up more buildings & havent had a look in.

I dont do domestic, but recently set father-in-law up with  a van, did some quotes with him £1 a window & got loads.

Just got ready to take on domestic & done knee going to be out for months, but i,ll get cards out still.

Gary

Tosh

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2007, 04:41:13 pm »
Tosh

Maybe they thought thats a bit cheap he must cut corners to make a profit.

Paul

Paul,

I don't think so. 

I've done a few other quotes for care homes; I didn't get them either.  The last two care homes windows are still minging and it must be two-years since I quoted for them.  They haven't been cleaned in years.

I think this is symptomatic of the 'care' our elderly folks get.  They spend most of their day in these conservatory places, yet the owner won't even give 'em clean windows to look out of; or he'll make his Filipeno workers clean the bits that really need cleaning.

It's got little to do with 'caring' and more to do with business.

s.hughes

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2007, 05:00:52 pm »
I quoted for a care home last year, I was the last 1 to quote and the warden even showed me the other quotes. I quoted the lowest I could as it was an easy job and I came well within the lowest quote.
Still didnt get the job.
From what I know these care homes are giving out 3 year contracts so if you get it now then your ok for 3 years.

Steve

mike richardson

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2007, 05:33:31 pm »
I USED TO QUOTE FOR LOADS OF THEM DNT BOTHER NOW CAN MAKE AS MUCH DOIN domestic so why have the hassle. id also quote abt £75 for the care home u are pricing,i think 141 is expensive but that depends where u live,

macmac

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2007, 07:15:44 pm »
are you joking??? :o
for all that work you describe, i would want at the very,very minimum the price you quoted.  :o

tony

EasyClean

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2007, 07:55:17 pm »
In my experience care homes are a waist of time in general as the owners don't care for their residents BUT do care a lot about their profits. I only clean 1 now for a decent price and don't wish to pick up any new ones. I use to have several but dropped them when I started re-pricing. Care/Nursing homes seem to change owners on a very regular basis.
Losing a customer is like waiting for the next bus, another one will come along shortly!

Simply Clean Windows

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2007, 07:59:08 pm »
i do a couple of care/nursing homes for bupa,got a good price for doing them,they pay by bacs 2 weeks after the job is done,no problems whats so ever.
Malcolm

s woodliff

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2007, 09:08:11 pm »
i totaly understand withe u lot priced 330 schools an office blocks for tay side contracts an thought i put a realy good price in only to be told at the start of the week there that OCS won the contract an that i was 30 grand out the funny thing was that when i was going round pricing the buildings i talked to most of the care takers an they said that i was the only one that had been round to quote so i have wasted 6 days of solid pricing i am totally raging

cherubs cleaning

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2007, 09:20:24 pm »
on your own 1 hour 15 min

£100 + vat

Paul Coleman

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2007, 09:24:12 pm »
Well I usually think in terms of about £1 a window and I count a two pane patio door as one window.  If some of the work is more than one floor above ground I would probably think of those as £1.30 - £1.50.  Mind you, on larger jobs I suppose there can be "economy of scale".  Also there's no telling how big those conservatories are.
It's hard to be certain without being there and without any pictures but, assuming the conservatory roofs are not included and that the conservatories are of a pretty average size, I probably would have pitched the external window cleaning at somewhere around £110 for maintenance cleans.  The first clean would have been a lot higher though.  So would the price if they only wanted a very infrequent service.
It could well be that if I were to actually see the job, then I might be quoting a very different figure.
It may be that I'm still thinking too cheaply though.  Either way, I still wouldn't have got the job and the guy(s) doing it for £71 either need their heads examined or they need to do a proper job on it.

cherubs cleaning

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2007, 09:26:28 pm »
i hope i am not the only one but the £1.oo per window sucks

Tosh

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2007, 09:27:49 pm »
on your own 1 hour 15 min

£100 + vat

This post sucks even more!

cherubs cleaning