Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Sir Squeaky

Can't win sometimes.
« on: February 22, 2007, 09:50:33 am »
What a run of crappy luck.

I had 3 days off last week while my car was out of action.
I've had 3 days off this week with a knackered shoulder.

I'm still in massive pain at times, but I thought at least if I go out and try to do some granny bungalows left handed I'll make a few quid.

What happens?
Lashes down with rain doesn't it? >:(

Taxman wants £300 in a few days, but I need £200 to cover my bills.
So if I can do £500 left handed tomorrow I'll be fine.
Might make £50 if it's dry...

Never rains but it pours...literally!

DASERVICES

Re: Can't win sometimes.
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 09:54:45 am »
Squeaky,

Just a thought are you claiming working tax credit, if not may be worth a try to help with your problem.

Doug

robbie14000

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007, 09:56:35 am »
Squeeky - if you ring the tax office and explain your situation they will give you extra time or make a payment plan for you so you don,t get any extra charges.
Do you have any insurance for being off sick?
Regards Robbie

gary evans

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2007, 09:59:28 am »
Squeeky

Make sure you dont damage yuor knee, i,ve told months.

Gary

supernova77

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2007, 10:01:19 am »

Squeaky,

Buy a WFP system today and then you'll easily do £500+ tomorrow  ;)

Andy

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2007, 10:01:24 am »
I get a bit, but I don't think I can claim any more to pay my tax bill!
I'll cover my normal bills because I've got a week I can step back...I'll explain:

I've always banked the end of the week after the work.

Today or tomorrow I'll pay in what I made last week, so that's fine.
Next week I'd pay in this week's, but I'll have barely made anything.

So, what I'll do is add tomorrow's money to next week's and bank it next friday.
By the following week I'll be fine.

I'm just bringing the banking forward a week, and no pay-in is missed.

As soon as money is better I'll try and manufacture the week behind again with a double pay-in on week.
It's a useful thing, as it gets me out of situations like this.

Rog.

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2007, 10:04:20 am »

Squeaky,

Buy a WFP system today and then you'll easily do £500+ tomorrow  ;)

Andy
A comedian. ::)

Right, so that's 4 times my good day...
So you mean the houses that most people take 20 mins on, which I knock out in 10...I'll be able to do them in 2 minutes WFP?
10 times faster than your average guy?

Go back to sleep. ::)

supernova77

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2007, 10:05:06 am »
LOL - I was only joking mate!

Hope you have a better week next week :)

Andy

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2007, 10:07:06 am »
LOL - I was only joking mate!

Hope you have a better week next week :)

Andy
Fair enough mate, sorry. :-X

I couldn't tell, because some people actually write rubbish like that.

brett walker

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2007, 10:26:04 am »
Hi Squeaky

hope things get sorted out for you mate  :)

on the subject of wfp your favourite lol, now would not be a good time to go into wfp with a shoulder injury for obvious reasons its not kind on the shoulders, elbows and back :-X

regards

Brett

Paul Coleman

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2007, 10:30:08 am »
What a run of crappy luck.

I had 3 days off last week while my car was out of action.
I've had 3 days off this week with a knackered shoulder.

I'm still in massive pain at times, but I thought at least if I go out and try to do some granny bungalows left handed I'll make a few quid.

What happens?
Lashes down with rain doesn't it? >:(

Taxman wants £300 in a few days, but I need £200 to cover my bills.
Might make £50 if it's dry...

Never rains but it pours...literally!

Hi Rog.
I'm sorry to hear of your dilemma.
I cant make suggestions for all the problems you've mentioned but I will make some for those that I have experienced.

The shoulder problem.  I was getting problems with my neck/shoulder area too when I was trad cleaning (it switched to an elbow problem when I started WFP so I'm not gonna do any lectures  :)  ) .

First of all, purely as a stopgap, go the the chemist and get yourself some Ibuprofen tablets.  They are a very good painkiller and they don't make you drowsy like some do.  Read the instructions carefully as they aren't appropriate if you have certain other medical issues (liver problems and asthma spring to mind but there may be others).  Although taking these painkillers is purely a "sticking plaster" job, as they are also an anti-inflammatory, they may even resolve the problem.  If you need a longer term solution, when finances allow, a good acupuncturist (or acupressurist if you have a needle aversion) should be able to help you - at a price.  A few years ago I had some severe pain that persisted on my left shoulder/neck area (I'm left handed) and it didn't get any better until I got regular sessions with an acupressurist.  After the first few sessions, it felt even worse but I persisted.  Within a few weeks, I felt good again.  My problem was that I had left it quite a while.  If I had gone sooner it would have cleared more quickly.
If your shoulder problem is on the outer part of the shoulder and slightly down the arm, it may be the deltoid muscle.  If it is this you may need to rest it further and seek more conventional medical help too.
If this info helps, I'm glad.  If it doesn't, at least I've tried.
Of course it would probably be a good idea to see your doc anyway if you haven't already done so and what I've said should be taken for what it is - an unqualified person relating their personal experience in order that it might help you.

DASERVICES

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2007, 11:25:00 am »
Squeeky,

It's times like this when you have to change your whole concept on window cleaning and start running it as a business as you wil always need something as backup when things go wrong.

I have a safety fund of £2k in a ISSA account which I do not touch, it took some time to do this but when I got a cheque off someone it went into that account.

I also have a fund to cover me if I am off sick for a month, this I do not touch as well.

As I have enough work now anyone that is new I give them a crazy price as I do not really need the work, the problem is now they say yes. I currently hit £12 - £15 an hour but I now this is not a good from a business side so I am working on it at present. With these people I give a crazy price I am hitting £30 per hour.

But you have to watch yourself as you cannot price this up in the same street, these prices tend to be where the house is in a one off area.

I know you go on about it's a rip off at them prices but you need to try it as some people will pay it provided you do a good job. Next time someone asks for a quote try it, you may be surprised and you have nothing to loose.

Start getting some high earners in your round.

Hope this helps

Lastly like me you will probably get nagged by your woman with that money sitting in the bank, but that's when you go suddenly death. ;D

Doug

Paul Coleman

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2007, 11:51:43 am »
Squeeky,

It's times like this when you have to change your whole concept on window cleaning and start running it as a business as you wil always need something as backup when things go wrong.

I have a safety fund of £2k in a ISSA account which I do not touch, it took some time to do this but when I got a cheque off someone it went into that account.

I also have a fund to cover me if I am off sick for a month, this I do not touch as well.

As I have enough work now anyone that is new I give them a crazy price as I do not really need the work, the problem is now they say yes. I currently hit £12 - £15 an hour but I now this is not a good from a business side so I am working on it at present. With these people I give a crazy price I am hitting £30 per hour.

But you have to watch yourself as you cannot price this up in the same street, these prices tend to be where the house is in a one off area.

I know you go on about it's a rip off at them prices but you need to try it as some people will pay it provided you do a good job. Next time someone asks for a quote try it, you may be surprised and you have nothing to loose.

Start getting some high earners in your round.

Hope this helps

Lastly like me you will probably get nagged by your woman with that money sitting in the bank, but that's when you go suddenly death. ;D

Doug

I sincerely hope not but going deaf might be useful  ;D

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2007, 12:15:50 pm »
Cheers guys.

No need for Ibuprofen, the docs already had me on Diprofenic which is stronger anyway.
Not that I'm really any better after 4 days. :(

Doug, my prices are fine.
I haven't got any work under £20 per hour and most is more.

My shops are £47-57 and take an hour-10, or an hour-20.
Could do with £200's worth of them though.

pjulk

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2007, 12:38:11 pm »
the docs already had me on Diprofenic which is stronger anyway

Im on them along with tramadol
The diclofenic do take a while to work as they are slow releasing but after a week or so you should start feeling a lot better.

Paul

AuRavelling79

« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2007, 06:18:22 pm »
While we're self-medicating here's some advice my doc gave me when I cracked a rib last spring.

He said to mix ibuprofen and paracetamol like this. (The effect is more powerful but still safe)

Within an hour of waking up: 1 of each

Then as needed during waking hrs (but no sooner than 4hrs) same again

Maximum recommended by doc:-

4 Ibu and 4 para total per day.

So while the pain is acute say 8 am/12noon/4pm and stretch the last one to 10pm. Any more than a 3 day run and pain not subsiding check with Doc again.

It's a game of three halves!

dai

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2007, 09:13:26 pm »
Rog, My daughter is a physio, she warned me years ago against what is known as frozen shoulder. This is caused by a trapped nerve when working with your hands above your head. What I suggest is that you work off a milk crate or something, even when doing bottoms you can reach.
There is a lot of leverage put on the shouder joint when your arm is extended.
Take care mate, I know of a wc that had to retire with frozen shoulder. Dai

lee_dewing

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2007, 09:41:01 am »
the houses that most people take 20 mins on, which I knock out in 10...

sorry don't believe you.
Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work.     - Aristotle

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2007, 09:49:07 am »
the houses that most people take 20 mins on, which I knock out in 10...

sorry don't believe you.

Suit yourself slowcoach. ::)

Interesting Dai, it definately feels like a nerve pain, despite what the doc said.

I've got an appointment with an osteopath today.
My mother had him fixing something years ago and he was excellent apparently.

I hope it's not as serious as the case you mentioned Dai, as it's just not going away.
Last night I was laying awake in pain most of the night.
It's just not getting better. :(

pjulk

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2007, 02:34:01 pm »
Hope your well soon rog as i know whats its like to be off work with no money coming in as i just had 4 1/2 weeks off sick.

Have you tried putting a hot water bottle on the painfull area as i know it helps relax your muscles

Paul