Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

U.S. wfp USER

4040 Membrane accessory kit
« on: February 22, 2007, 01:14:33 am »
The ro membrane i ordered came with an accessory kit.

It contains a piece of plastic pipe about 2 inches long with o-rings inside it and 4 extra o-rings.

What are these for?
Shawn Gavin
Reach Higher Ground

JM123

Re: 4040 Membrane accessory kit
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 01:49:37 am »
they are for linking 2 4040 membranes together in a 80inch housing - you can throw it away
Live life in the fast lane.......if you break down you'll freewheel further

Ballymena N.I

U.S. wfp USER

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007, 04:28:28 am »
Thanks.

The prefilters I have, each have 1" inlet outlets.

The RO has a 1/2" inlet outlet.  Does it make a difference whether I reduce the water flow coming from the prefilters?

Where in line does a booster pump go?

Before or after the prefilters?

Also does sediment go before carbon or the other way around?

Thanks.
Shawn Gavin
Reach Higher Ground

Paul Coleman

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2007, 06:06:03 am »
Thanks.

The RO has a 1/2" inlet outlet.  Does it make a difference whether I reduce the water flow coming from the prefilters?

Thanks.

On my system the pump is before the pre filters.  Withput looking I'm not sure about the order of pre filters. I THINK sediment comes first butr don't rely on that.  Will be changing mine over in the next few days.

Pj

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2007, 08:34:09 am »
Thanks.

No, you can reduce it to whatever size you like really.

Before prefilters, mains water into booster, booster into prefilters, prefilters into membrane, membrane into di vessel = PURE into tank.

Sediment then carbon

Thanks.

OK?

JM123

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2007, 11:35:42 am »
it goes like this

1 - sediment filter

2 - carbon filter

3 - booster pump

4 - ro

the booster pump should always be after the prefilters as it puts unnecessary stress on the housings, let the pump draw the water through the prefilters (which works better anyway) and then from pump to ro housing.  Another reason for this is that as the prefilters age you will notice a pressure drop across the filters, therefore if you have the pump before the prefilters then you will lose 10/20/30psi by the time the water reaches the membrane - on the other hand if you set it up pump after prefilters then there is no pressure drop before membrane, only feed rate into the pump inlet slows down, this is evident in a reduced product output.

Ballymena N.I

Paul Coleman

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2007, 12:45:54 pm »
it goes like this

1 - sediment filter

2 - carbon filter

3 - booster pump

4 - ro

the booster pump should always be after the prefilters as it puts unnecessary stress on the housings, let the pump draw the water through the prefilters (which works better anyway) and then from pump to ro housing.  Another reason for this is that as the prefilters age you will notice a pressure drop across the filters, therefore if you have the pump before the prefilters then you will lose 10/20/30psi by the time the water reaches the membrane - on the other hand if you set it up pump after prefilters then there is no pressure drop before membrane, only feed rate into the pump inlet slows down, this is evident in a reduced product output.

Just to be clear on this:  Are you saying that if the pump is AFTER the pre-filters then the water output drops?

JM123

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2007, 02:01:16 pm »
No, the output only drops when the prefilters are knackered (sediment clogged).

Visualise it for a moment.

If the pump is before the prefilters then you can have a pressure drop before the membrane (across the prefilters) but if the pump is after the prefilters then there is no pressure drop - understand??

Ballymena N.I

Paul Coleman

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2007, 07:39:56 am »
No, the output only drops when the prefilters are knackered (sediment clogged).

Visualise it for a moment.

If the pump is before the prefilters then you can have a pressure drop before the membrane (across the prefilters) but if the pump is after the prefilters then there is no pressure drop - understand??

OK.  I got that now thanks.
I just wanted to re-visit this thread because I changed my pre filters yesterday and have now had a closer look at how my RO is set up and it's not the way I thought.

It goes like this:-

sediment pre filter

booster pump

carbon pre filter

membranes

di

i.e. the booster pump is BETWEEN the two pre-filters.

I did contact the supplier and am assured that this is fine so now I don't know what to think.  The supplier also stated that it is not the only way to set it up though.  I haven't yet measured water production since changing the pre filters but will do so in the next few days.

JM123

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2007, 02:15:20 pm »
I just hopefor your sake your carbon housing is pressure tested to at least 50% more than he switch setting of the booster pump.

Ballymena N.I