Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

john tomkins

Re: Superlight poles
« Reply #60 on: February 22, 2007, 10:19:02 am »
I wouldn't mind a view too please ;D

Ian_Giles

« Reply #61 on: February 22, 2007, 10:42:54 am »
I can't answer all of those questions, but as a user I can do a do a few of them..

In spite of what I have previously thought (and written) about modular poles/external hoses on the type of work that I have, I must admit, this does give me a lot of food for thought.
So, few questions (I haven't seen the video).

1)  Are all the sections (apart from the base section) identical?  It sounds like the sections might be a bit on the fragile side so carrying a spare or two might be a good idea as and when affordable.

Answer:
No, they all vary in size, in use they certainly FEEL fragile but they are also very strong...though if you smacked a section against a wall you would break it.
The base end of each sections needs to be protected in use as the wall of the pole section is of course very thin, working with an 'end cap' on resolves that though. But how would you decide which spare section to carry? You'd have to have an entire pole! :o A rather expensive option methinks!

2)  I believe that the base section is different.  Is is necessary to remove the base section before adding/removing other sections?

Answer: You only need use whatever section or sections you want to use, I personally use the top section by itself on most of my shops...piece of cake.
If you are working at the maximum height of the pole then you simply remove the  sections as you drop down onto the next level.

3)  Is twirling the pole hose around the pole (rather than velcroing it) a viable way of working .i.e. does it get in the way?

Answer: It is for me, though the Velcro that Alex at Gardiners supplies is double sided, so the one section of it does not have to be fixed in place, it's really pretty easy to rip it off and re-apply anywhere you like on the pole.
But I regularly twirl the pole hose if I can't be bothered to velcro (or don't have the time)

4)  Are these poles rigid enough to push windows closed without risking damage to the pole or brush assembly?

Answer: To a degree, but you would not want to exert too much force, this is an area where the more robust, heavier poles are better.

5)  Is it fairly easy to connect/disconnect sections while pole is extended?  Are they screw-on or push fit?

Anwer: All my answers are with regards the Supalite pole, on that one assembly is childs play, all sections are push fit, no clamps of any description.
Adding and removing sections while pole is extended is very easy, the only fiddly bit is working out where to place the discarded pole section safely.
And no, the brush doesn't twist or swivle in use either (before you ask ;))

6)  Does anyone in my area have one who would be willing to show me how they operate with one?  (I'm in the Gatwick area).  Failing that, I would be willing to travel.

Answer: Well of course I'm not in your area, I'm in chepstow (2 hours fdown the motorway :-\) And although I have only just started using it, I'd be happy to show it you in use.

7)  I see that there is a two week turnaround in ordering these poles.  What is the turnaround time for repairing/replacing sections?

Answer: Not one for me to answer! This is one for the suppliers!

8)  Would it be possible to order a shortish version initially and gradually add to it if affordability is an issue? (I guess this is back to the "are all sections identical?" bit)

Answer: See answer to Q. 7 ;D

A lot of questions I know but I wouldn't be asking them if I wasn't beginning to contemplate making a purchase.
In spite of my aversion to modular poles due to the type of work I currently have, I do see that there may be a way forward for me in this regard.

Working with a modular pole as against a telescopic one means you have to adjust the way in which you work a little, you have to plan your jobs a little differently, and if you are used to 'though the pole' hose then I guess it will feel pretty alien to you for a while, but I also think that you would very quickly wonder why you had never gone 'outside the pole' with your pole hose before!

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

pure-water

« Reply #62 on: February 22, 2007, 11:12:24 am »
Good Questions (The Shiner)

Good Answers (Ian Giles)

Very informative, I enjoyed reading it.

There are such a lot of things mentioned on this site that I haven’t quite got the picture.

A very good topic.

This really helped.

Martin

JM123

« Reply #63 on: February 22, 2007, 12:03:49 pm »
john tomkins and trevor perry I'll send you both a copy of the vid later today.

For all the guys here that have enquired about purchasing the pole - firstly I am still testing the pole so its not for sale just yet - I never sell a product without testing it to destruction first (Engineers golden rule), I'm hoping that if all goes well I'll have a batch ordered up within the month.  I will also be carrying spare sections so anyone needing a spare section should hopefully have it sent same day. 

Many Thanks for your enquiries and comments
Live life in the fast lane.......if you break down you'll freewheel further

Ballymena N.I

Paul Coleman

« Reply #64 on: February 22, 2007, 12:14:11 pm »
I can't answer all of those questions, but as a user I can do a do a few of them..

In spite of what I have previously thought (and written) about modular poles/external hoses on the type of work that I have, I must admit, this does give me a lot of food for thought.
So, few questions (I haven't seen the video).

1)  Are all the sections (apart from the base section) identical?  It sounds like the sections might be a bit on the fragile side so carrying a spare or two might be a good idea as and when affordable.

Answer:
No, they all vary in size, in use they certainly FEEL fragile but they are also very strong...though if you smacked a section against a wall you would break it.
The base end of each sections needs to be protected in use as the wall of the pole section is of course very thin, working with an 'end cap' on resolves that though. But how would you decide which spare section to carry? You'd have to have an entire pole! :o A rather expensive option methinks!

2)  I believe that the base section is different.  Is is necessary to remove the base section before adding/removing other sections?

Answer: You only need use whatever section or sections you want to use, I personally use the top section by itself on most of my shops...piece of cake.
If you are working at the maximum height of the pole then you simply remove the  sections as you drop down onto the next level.

3)  Is twirling the pole hose around the pole (rather than velcroing it) a viable way of working .i.e. does it get in the way?

Answer: It is for me, though the Velcro that Alex at Gardiners supplies is double sided, so the one section of it does not have to be fixed in place, it's really pretty easy to rip it off and re-apply anywhere you like on the pole.
But I regularly twirl the pole hose if I can't be bothered to velcro (or don't have the time)

4)  Are these poles rigid enough to push windows closed without risking damage to the pole or brush assembly?

Answer: To a degree, but you would not want to exert too much force, this is an area where the more robust, heavier poles are better.

5)  Is it fairly easy to connect/disconnect sections while pole is extended?  Are they screw-on or push fit?

Anwer: All my answers are with regards the Supalite pole, on that one assembly is childs play, all sections are push fit, no clamps of any description.
Adding and removing sections while pole is extended is very easy, the only fiddly bit is working out where to place the discarded pole section safely.
And no, the brush doesn't twist or swivle in use either (before you ask ;))

6)  Does anyone in my area have one who would be willing to show me how they operate with one?  (I'm in the Gatwick area).  Failing that, I would be willing to travel.

Answer: Well of course I'm not in your area, I'm in chepstow (2 hours fdown the motorway :-\) And although I have only just started using it, I'd be happy to show it you in use.

7)  I see that there is a two week turnaround in ordering these poles.  What is the turnaround time for repairing/replacing sections?

Answer: Not one for me to answer! This is one for the suppliers!

8)  Would it be possible to order a shortish version initially and gradually add to it if affordability is an issue? (I guess this is back to the "are all sections identical?" bit)

Answer: See answer to Q. 7 ;D

A lot of questions I know but I wouldn't be asking them if I wasn't beginning to contemplate making a purchase.
In spite of my aversion to modular poles due to the type of work I currently have, I do see that there may be a way forward for me in this regard.

Working with a modular pole as against a telescopic one means you have to adjust the way in which you work a little, you have to plan your jobs a little differently, and if you are used to 'though the pole' hose then I guess it will feel pretty alien to you for a while, but I also think that you would very quickly wonder why you had never gone 'outside the pole' with your pole hose before!

Ian

Thank you for your very comprehensive reply Ian.  I imagine Alex will fill in the gaps.  Also, thank you for the offer of showing me how you work with the pole.  I may well take you up on that in spite of the distance.  I don't know how you drive but I reckon a bit more than two hours.  How far beyond the Severn Bridge are you?  I've never been averse to travelling if I can find a better way of working from it.  I once drove up to East Anglia to spend part of a work day with someone who showed me ways of trad cleaning faster.  That day out was paid for in the first month afterwards.  It's early days yet but what I might even do is go up to the NEC cleaning show and make the journey westward afterwards - take a few days out from the daily grind and have a busman's holiday.  Maybe I'll follow that up with two or three days in Devon to visit family.
Would make a nice change from the routine I think.
Might even become a co-opted member of the breakfast club   :)

Ian_Giles

« Reply #65 on: February 22, 2007, 01:36:38 pm »
You'll do better than me, I've yet to receive my own invite to the breakfast club :'(

Chepstow is literally just the other side of the old Severn bridge, I'm sure it has only taken me about 2 hours to get up to Gatwick airport from Chepstow??
I could be wrong mind ;)

I'm going up to the NEC show too, along with Tosh, we're going to stay overnight and inbibe in some refreshments ::)
Tosh wants a double room, but I've insisted it's a TWIN room :o...have you seen what he's wearing in his avatar!!! :o :o

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

sair

« Reply #66 on: February 22, 2007, 02:31:51 pm »
hi paul

Ill be going to Crawley on Monday after noon if you want to have a go of the super lite pole.

07944 227635 ( Tony Essentially pure)

give us a call if you would like to meet up

tony
Essentially Pure Ltd

JM123

« Reply #67 on: February 22, 2007, 03:06:55 pm »
In answer to the question on whether someone can start with a smaller pole and add to it as required I don't see any problem with that - although anything less than 30ft and you'd be better looking at a smaller standard fishing pole or a telescopic carbon/glass fibre pole.
Live life in the fast lane.......if you break down you'll freewheel further

Ballymena N.I

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #68 on: February 22, 2007, 03:29:43 pm »
Hi Shiner,

Just got back from a day's work using the Super-Lite!

I will attempt to fill in the gaps as requested

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1)  Are all the sections (apart from the base section) identical?  It sounds like the sections might be a bit on the fragile side so carrying a spare or two might be a good idea as and when affordable. The top 5 sections are individual, all sections after this are the same.

2)  I believe that the base section is different.  Is is necessary to remove the base section before adding/removing other sections? It is not necessary to remove any section before adding another.

3)  Is twirling the pole hose around the pole (rather than velcroing it) a viable way of working .i.e. does it get in the way? Yes, although for safety I would always recommend using the velcro straps.

4)  Are these poles rigid enough to push windows closed without risking damage to the pole or brush assembly? If you are careful you can (I do!), although I would not endorse this!

5)  Is it fairly easy to connect/disconnect sections while pole is extended?  Are they screw-on or push fit? They are push-fit and are very easy to use (took a bit of R&D to get them like this).

6)  Does anyone in my area have one who would be willing to show me how they operate with one?  (I'm in the Gatwick area).  Failing that, I would be willing to travel. Essentially-pure at Tunbridge Wells are authorised distributors. I think Tony (sair) has already replied.

7)  I see that there is a two week turnaround in ordering these poles.  What is the turnaround time for repairing/replacing sections? Repaired sections are usually carried out within 3 working days, replacement sections can usually be sent out within 2 working days.

Would it be possible to order a shortish version initially and gradually add to it if affordability is an issue? (I guess this is back to the "are all sections identical?" bit) Yes, the shortest one we supply is a 35ft package, but this can be added to easily.

I hope that the above has been informative. I will be posting a minute long video of the Super-Lite in use later on today.

Alex

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #69 on: February 22, 2007, 05:23:33 pm »
Hi to all,

As promised I have posted the link to a video of the Super-Lite in use.

For reference purposes;

The Pole is an SL-40 (40ft) it is a year old and I have used it regularly during  the last year.

The building I am using it on is 4 stories high and the top of the highest window is 43ft from the ground.

The video has been shot to demonstrate the rigidity and ease of use not to provide a guide to pole usage (hence single handed use!)

Enjoy....

simbag

« Reply #70 on: February 22, 2007, 09:41:26 pm »

DO NOT DO THIS!!!!!! :o :o :o

I have, and regretted it big time. I had not had the pole very long, and I was pushing a window shut that was quite stiff. I was looking up the pole and I stared in horror as I watched the top two sections collapse on me!! :o The pole had managed to break either side of the first joint at the top! Received replacements quicly along with the £100+ bill! Whoops, won't be doing that again in a hurry :-\

You can close some windows, but just don't exert too much pressure. If I have a window that needs closing I either keep tapping it with the brush until it shuts, or leave it open and clean it carefully!

This post is in no way a complaint, as I would not be without this pole, it saves so much time, not to mention the lack of arm and neck ache!

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #71 on: February 23, 2007, 06:07:30 am »
Lets say the lower sections are 2mm side walls but the upper sections are only 1mm, (thats usually how they are made to give the pole a bit of bend for fishing, which we dont really want) maybe thats why they split inder intenal pressure ? Whay make of pole was it ?

Paul Coleman

« Reply #72 on: February 23, 2007, 07:09:53 am »
hi paul

Ill be going to Crawley on Monday after noon if you want to have a go of the super lite pole.

tony

Ok.  Will phone you Tony.
Cheers.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #73 on: February 23, 2007, 07:21:31 am »
Hi Shiner,

Just got back from a day's work using the Super-Lite!

I will attempt to fill in the gaps as requested

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1)  Are all the sections (apart from the base section) identical?  It sounds like the sections might be a bit on the fragile side so carrying a spare or two might be a good idea as and when affordable. The top 5 sections are individual, all sections after this are the same.

2)  I believe that the base section is different.  Is is necessary to remove the base section before adding/removing other sections? It is not necessary to remove any section before adding another.

3)  Is twirling the pole hose around the pole (rather than velcroing it) a viable way of working .i.e. does it get in the way? Yes, although for safety I would always recommend using the velcro straps.

4)  Are these poles rigid enough to push windows closed without risking damage to the pole or brush assembly? If you are careful you can (I do!), although I would not endorse this!

5)  Is it fairly easy to connect/disconnect sections while pole is extended?  Are they screw-on or push fit? They are push-fit and are very easy to use (took a bit of R&D to get them like this).

6)  Does anyone in my area have one who would be willing to show me how they operate with one?  (I'm in the Gatwick area).  Failing that, I would be willing to travel. Essentially-pure at Tunbridge Wells are authorised distributors. I think Tony (sair) has already replied.

7)  I see that there is a two week turnaround in ordering these poles.  What is the turnaround time for repairing/replacing sections? Repaired sections are usually carried out within 3 working days, replacement sections can usually be sent out within 2 working days.

Would it be possible to order a shortish version initially and gradually add to it if affordability is an issue? (I guess this is back to the "are all sections identical?" bit) Yes, the shortest one we supply is a 35ft package, but this can be added to easily.

I hope that the above has been informative. I will be posting a minute long video of the Super-Lite in use later on today.

Alex

Thanks for filling in the gaps Alex.  That video looks good.
Although I still feel that adding/dropping sections would be fiddly on much of my existing work, the real potential for me is that:-
(a)  I wish to start pursuing more high work
(b)  I believe that a pole such as the superlite would free me to do this.  One of the things that has put me off seeking such work is that using longer poles is more normally a two man job.  I prefer to work on my own and a pole such as superlite could make working alone and doing high work a distinct possibility.  One of the problems with existing long poles is that they can get seriously heavy.  Another one is that erecting them can be very difficult - especially as many of them are designed with 8 foot sections.  The superlite seems to address both these issues.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #74 on: February 23, 2007, 07:24:00 am »

DO NOT DO THIS!!!!!! :o :o :o

I have, and regretted it big time. I had not had the pole very long, and I was pushing a window shut that was quite stiff. I was looking up the pole and I stared in horror as I watched the top two sections collapse on me!! :o The pole had managed to break either side of the first joint at the top! Received replacements quicly along with the £100+ bill! Whoops, won't be doing that again in a hurry :-\

You can close some windows, but just don't exert too much pressure. If I have a window that needs closing I either keep tapping it with the brush until it shuts, or leave it open and clean it carefully!

This post is in no way a complaint, as I would not be without this pole, it saves so much time, not to mention the lack of arm and neck ache!

Oh well.  At least there's no danger of it smashing any windows   :)
Got to look on the positive side I guess.

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #75 on: February 23, 2007, 08:00:46 am »
Hi Simbag,

The latest Super-Lites have a, unique to us, stronger top section (still only weighs 79g) which is about 3 times stronger. So is a lot less prone to 'snapping' when misused!

It can bought as a separate upgrade for older poles, but I am still personally using my old type top section.

johnm

« Reply #76 on: February 23, 2007, 03:06:12 pm »
can i have a look at that video plz johnmckim"btinternet.com
thanks

Paul Coleman

« Reply #77 on: February 25, 2007, 05:04:57 pm »
hi paul

tony

Hi again Tony.
I tried to phone you Friday afternoon but your phone was either switched off or in a bad signal area and there was no voicemail facility for me to leave a message.  I will try again Monday morning.  If possible I would like to meet up before you actually start the job so that I can have a look at the pole being assembled etc.  I would be happy to meet you onsite - wherever that is.  If you don't want to say where the job is on here, my number is 07775 857762.  Anyway, I will try to call you or, if you prefer, you are welcome to phone me (not tonight though as going out for a friend's birthday dinner).

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #78 on: February 25, 2007, 06:32:15 pm »
Me too for the vid please

dmwc@talktalk.net

Paul Coleman

« Reply #79 on: February 26, 2007, 03:30:39 pm »
Well I met up with Tony (Sair) this morning to view and have a feel of the superlite pole and I have to say that I am pretty impressed.  It was so light I nearly lost my balance picking it up.  The dropping and adding sections isn't as fiddly as I expected because you can hold the pole in one hand while doing it.  My initial reservations were based on the Unger Carbontec design (think I got the name right) but the superlight is a different animal.  Very little bend and so light.