Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

U.S. wfp USER

Superlight poles
« on: February 18, 2007, 03:40:49 pm »
Does anyone have a video of one of these poles being used at 40' or higher. 

I am interested in these poles, but would love to see how rigid they really are.
Shawn Gavin
Reach Higher Ground

Alex Gardiner

Re: Superlight poles
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2007, 03:52:06 pm »
I will be using one on several commercial jobs tomorrow and I will try to get my work partner to take a short video of the Super-Lite in action.

I will post a link to it here.

U.S. wfp USER

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2007, 03:58:31 pm »
Much appreciated.
Shawn Gavin
Reach Higher Ground

Tosh

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2007, 03:59:52 pm »
Alex,

I've been hearing good things about your Supalights.

Are they hard wearing and can you buy individual replacement sections?

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2007, 04:20:16 pm »
Hi Tosh,

I have 2 that I have been using for over a year now and they are both going strong. Used correctly they will last a very long time as the taper joints will not wear like conventional pole/clamps.

You can easily buy replacement sections from us and you can even have sections repaired (great if you step on one!!) from just £15-20 per repair.

macmac

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2007, 06:10:12 pm »
i'm also interested alex, although i've been a wee bit unsure of the modular thing in the past i can't ignore the many good reports about them on this forum. it's mainley for work above 45ft for which i will be canvassing for shortley, although a love the carbon facelift i must admit that i wouldn't like to use one (the facelift) above this height. :)

tony

Seers

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2007, 06:13:40 pm »
I too am interested in the super-lite poles from gardiners. Noticed them on the website today, but have not heard any opinions about them. We will shortly be replacing our 60 foot carbon fibre ionics pole, which I find I pain to use to be honest.

Cheers,

Huw.

U.S. wfp USER

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2007, 07:03:16 pm »
Seems to be pretty rigid.  I would like to see a video of you picking up a 40' pole from the ground and then viewing it in use from the side rather then behind.

Its all about whether its rigid or not to me.

Shawn Gavin
Reach Higher Ground

EasyClean

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2007, 07:09:52 pm »
They are the lightest and most rigid pole for window cleaning. I've used one up to 60feet and not a problem to lift. I can clean windows all day long with a 'Supalite' and not return home feeling tired compared to say holding a normal telescopic carbon pole all day doing high level work. The only downside with the Supalite pole is the fact that it is so light is that I personally wouldn't try using one on very high level windows on a very windy day because it's so light and would settle for using the heavier telescopic poles at lower levels on windy days. Bit like comparing using a heavy ladder to a light one on a windy day.
Losing a customer is like waiting for the next bus, another one will come along shortly!

Tosh

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2007, 07:12:04 pm »
Seems to be pretty rigid.  I would like to see a video of you picking up a 40' pole from the ground and then viewing it in use from the side rather then behind.

Its all about whether its rigid or not to me.

It is totally rigid and extremely - surprisingly - light!!!

I had a shot of Ian_Giles's this evening and there's no discernable 'flex' in it at all.  You can hold the pole parallel with the ground - all of it (I think it's 35 foot long; but I could be wrong) - no problems; no bend; no physical effort.

Ian's 'over the moon' with it.

It's far far superior than the alluminium poles I use, and the fibre glass poles I have used.

Wor Lass wants one, because even she at 5' 1" tall and weighing in at eight-and-a-half stones can use it.

U.S. wfp USER

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2007, 07:15:10 pm »
Alright, send one over.  I'll test it at no charge for the americans hehehehe ;D ;D ;D ;D
Shawn Gavin
Reach Higher Ground

sair

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2007, 07:44:42 pm »
as a usser and advocate of superlight, decided that to stock and sell the , 90% who come along and use one will buy.

i wont realy use much else either

i currently monthly use it at 72 ft no hassle at that height, although its a different ball game.

i have a photo from phone at 75 foot but not that clear and not much use

at 65 it easier to use than all other 56-60 foot poles

when i first recieved one for trail my kids stood it up in  the garden by themselves at 45foot.

good pole alex
Essentially Pure Ltd

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2007, 02:52:20 pm »
Please take this as some gentle well meant advice from someone who has used these poles since January last year.  You can just raise from horizontal at 42ft with a brush thats less than 8oz but.......

But I do not advise it for two reasons. The leverage on the pole joints is awesome, the pressure is applied at the very tip of each joint and can cause the possibility of a stress fracture paticulary if there is a already a slight hairline crack.

The second and more important reason is your body. You can and will do more things with the poles, going to difficult situations just because you can reach over under, up and across, its so easy. But the downside is you body takes strains it shouldnt have to and you may well suffer small injuries paticulary reaching  at low levels using your leading arm elbow joints and muscles. They can quiet easily be put into strain injuries, muscle spasm etc. I have been there.

There is no need, it is generally faster to raise say 20-30ft from horizontal and then just add remove the last few sections when upright in a more balanced and  controlled way. The whole oif the pole and brush can  be held upright with just one hand.

This applies with trad wfp poles as well, dont go over your or the poles capabilities.
Hope this info helps you.

H h20

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2007, 04:54:57 pm »
There is a warning that should be brought to attention about carbon fishing poles especially if they are being supplied as WFP`s,
carbon fibre conducts electricity and if these poles are being used at different lengths without the base section that has a protection cover you are at risk,
that is why a carbon WFP is made with a fibreglass base section,
so if you have modified one yourself please take note and if you are supplying them as a wfp then i think you should warn people of the danger,
Gaz

Tosh

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2007, 05:05:57 pm »
Gaz,

Would rubber gloves provide any protection?  I'm not taking the mick, mate; I'm after getting one of these carbon fibre poles and I wear gloves 99% of the time; even in Summer.

Also, are there actually any uncovered electric cables in residential/commercial areas?

I haven't came accoss any that I've noticed!

H h20

« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2007, 05:12:48 pm »
Tosh,
as far as wearing gloves i don`t know mate,
and overhead cables it is better to be safe than sorry,as the scout saying goes always be prepared,
Gaz  ;)

Tosh

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2007, 05:17:38 pm »
I also wear boots with rubber soles; that's gotta help!

H h20

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2007, 05:21:25 pm »
I also wear boots with rubber soles; that's gotta help!

Tosh,seems like you have a bit of a rubber fetish going on there  ;D,
why don`t you just go for a rubber diving suit you should be coverd then  ;)
Gaz

Tosh

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2007, 05:25:34 pm »
Tosh,seems like you have a bit of a rubber fetish going on there  ;D,
why don`t you just go for a rubber diving suit you should be coverd then  ;)
Gaz

Hmmm, might be okay in the Winter, but too warm in the Summer!

Anyway, I've just read all of Jeff Brimble's posts, back till 1983; (phew); and I've ordered a fishing pole he's recommended, and I've going to have a go at making my own.

Thanks Jeff!

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2007, 05:36:42 pm »
YOU Deserve a medal  :) Didnt know I went that far back....where has time gone.