This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Tosh

What's your face to face sales technique like?
« on: February 15, 2007, 05:39:27 pm »
I think I'm normally pretty good; I just act 'normal', friendly; try to appear professional; then when they're feeling safe; stick 'em with what I think is a good price (though I'm still getting this part wrong too).

I then blow my own trumpet for a bit; 'We do a top job, blah blah blah...', and it tends to work.

But I was caught out today, for a one-off clean, and Wor Lass says I came accross as, 'We'll do it but we're gonna charge you and it's gonna be HIGH'.

The lady took my card and bid me 'good day'.  I just have a feeling that I had I been a better 'salesman', I could have made an easy 30 or 40 quid out of this woman.  She still may phone me, as she's selling her house and most window cleaners avoid the street she lives in as it's fraught with access problems.

Anyway, we can always learn something; have you any 'sales tips' to pass on when you're dealing with someone either on the phone, or face to face?

KINGAKNAA

Re: What's your face to face sales technique like?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2007, 05:48:23 pm »
Think I talk too much. Ended up talking to a pensioner for 30 minutes today... ;D The oldies like a bit crack on, got her house to do frames n'all...!

Tip. Never slag off another cleaner unless they are dodgy/druggie/thief/taxdodging little scrotes who are undercutting you and trying to steal your customers.... >:(

HOWAY THE LADS!!!!

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2007, 06:16:16 pm »
I'm hopeless and get everything wrong. When I analysed my success(I'm not a success at window cleaning) someone on here said about having a trustworthy face, and I guess that must be it.

I would have told her (the lady)  what she wanted to hear, that I could do a one off special clean that would stay cleaner for longer during her house sale, and that an estate agent once told me/you that the kerb appeal of sparkling clean windows and frames can add  up to £3000 in value and definitly get more viewers through the door and give the house that cared for appearance.Show interest, have they taken the details photo yet? Ring me if you want to get the full asking price.

Tosh

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2007, 06:21:40 pm »
I'm hopeless and get everything wrong. When I analysed my success(I'm not a success at window cleaning) someone on here said about having a trustworthy face, and I guess that must be it.

I would have told her (the lady)  what she wanted to hear, that I could do a one off special clean that would stay cleaner for longer during her house sale, and that an estate agent once told me/you that the kerb appeal of sparkling clean windows and frames can add  up to £3000 in value and definitly get more viewers through the door and give the house that cared for appearance.Show interest, have they taken the details photo yet? Ring me if you want to get the full asking price.

Hey, that's good!

But what about justifying a high cleaning price when on a regular monthly clean she'd be around 15 quid, and I'm wanting 30 to 40 pounds for it?

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2007, 06:29:37 pm »
But what about justifying a high cleaning price when on a regular monthly clean she'd be around 15 quid, and I'm wanting 30 to 40 pounds for it?
Why are you trying to charge someone 30 or 40 for a £15 job? ???
You'll soon lose all your customers if you treat them like that.

Tosh

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2007, 06:39:34 pm »
Why are you trying to charge someone 30 or 40 for a £15 job? ???
You'll soon lose all your customers if you treat them like that.

Squeaks, it's for a one-off clean!  Obviously you're going to charge more for a one-off clean!  For all I know, her windows haven't been cleaned since 1978.

Get with the programme mate.

Alistair@AWC

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2007, 06:40:16 pm »
Squeaky,

I'd do the same cos a one-off/first clean tends to take me at least twice as long and I want paying for my time!

On a first clean I just charge the standard rate on the promise of on going work but a one-off is exactly that a one-off and I want paying for it

Regards

Alistair

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2007, 06:51:25 pm »
A really dirty clean should take you no more than 30% longer unless you're crap at window cleaning.

Hence 50% more is a good earner.

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2007, 07:02:44 pm »
So your face to face sales tipSqueaks is, I'm cheap, and oh yes I'm also honest. £20
Tosh's wife rightly suspected he could have got an easy £25-£30 (£40 does seem harsh). On the other hand £40 to achieve the full asking price? Tosh does do a better job so I'm told.

Tosh

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2007, 07:04:09 pm »
A really dirty clean should take you no more than 30% longer unless you're crap at window cleaning.

Squeaks,

What if you're bursting at the seams with work and someone asks you to do a one-off clean?

It takes time to go and view the property too; never mind the time spent talking to the prospective customer.

Why not stick in a good - high - quote?  It makes sense to me.

If you don't get it, you've lost nothing.  If you get it, you're quids in; so's the customer too, since her house is more saleable; and when we're talking house prices, we're talking THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS OF POUNDS!.   So thirty or forty quid is nothing when it comes to the big picture.

Given that the government is introducing those new 'home packs' at 300+ a shot in June 2007, I think were going to have a glut of 'new customers' selling their houses prior to that date, wanting one-off cleans to avoid the charge.

Anyway, had my 'tight-wad' potential  customer had a regular window cleaner prior, then it wouldn't be a problem for them, would it?

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2007, 07:06:11 pm »

Rog, Tosh is right, if its a one off i charge 3x mormal. Why should i clean years of cr*p off for only an extra 50%.

Tosh, I reckon the Mrs should do the negotiating if she thinks your so bad at it  ;)

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2007, 07:08:16 pm »
You tell him Tosh  ;D

Pj

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2007, 07:13:32 pm »
If it was a £15 normal quote job, I would have said £25, and explained why, telling her it would be £15 as a regular job.  I know she doesn't want a regular job, but at least explain.

My sales tip:  Be straight with people, if you don't know..say so, people are not stupid, if you give them "bull", they will work it out eventually and your reputation will stick, you'll loose them and they'll tell others.  Be straight and honest and fair.  Don't mistake that for cheap and soft!

Pj

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2007, 07:14:56 pm »
Oh, and don't ever be seen dressed like Tosh! ;D

Tosh

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2007, 07:26:50 pm »
If it was a £15 normal quote job, I would have said £25,

PJ,

I never even viewed this property, but she said she had a conservatory; she said the windows were dirty and she said she lived in Rockwood Road (which equals awkward access and no window cleaner (it's avoided)).

From your post, I'm perceiving that you're thinking I'm over-charging her.

But am I?

If it's not worth my while to go and have a look at her property, then clean it and not get AT LEAST 30 or 40 quid; is it worth bothering for me?

My answer is no.  I'm not being arrogant, I'm just running a business.

As for being straight with people, I think I was being 'too straight'; hence the negative feedback from her.

I would only be prepared to clean her windows if I was paid over and above what I can get from my regular, repeat work; and I imtimated to the prospective customer that I wouldn't be cheap; only so we wouldn't be wasting each other's time.

Crikey, I was hoping to get some 'sales tips'; not defend myself.

PS.

I think you find me sexy in my stockings!

S.A.J

« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2007, 07:44:54 pm »
 My face to face sales are alright not perfect but alright, i don’t beat around the bush i tell them how it is!

AS for the one off jobs, I’ve got one tomorrow to do so ill take my camera and take some pics for you all.

I won’t say what I’m getting for it, ill let every one have there say tomorrow.

I’ve already been paid for the job cos i always ask for cash up front just in case they do a runner which has happened a couple of times to me  >:(

Stuart
SAJ Window Cleaners Ltd

Pj

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2007, 08:35:05 pm »
No need to defend yourself, Tosh.  My post was not related to anything more than the topic heading really, but I added that if a job would be £15 as a regular, then as a one-off I would likely charge £25.

JohnL

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2007, 08:39:40 pm »
Tosh

How can you possibly price a job without seeing it?

Anyway, I seem to get the impression that deep down you know your young lady has more of a grasp of selling than you.

Visual perception is extremely important in communicating to others when selling and I think that if you both turned up to price a job, dress sense would show a distinct advantage to the real lady - thats if your complete post is anything to go by    ;)

Have you ever thought about doing Anne Summers parties - or shouldn't I ask?

;D      ;D      ;D      ;D

from smartass!!  :)     
West Somerset. On the edge of the Quantocks and looking at The Exmoor National Park.

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2007, 08:44:11 pm »
No need to defend yourself, Tosh.  My post was not related to anything more than the topic heading really, but I added that if a job would be £15 as a regular, then as a one-off I would likely charge £25.
Exactly what I would say. £25-ish.

If you charge 3 times value you'll soon get a name as a cowboy.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2007, 09:00:43 pm »
Squeaky - you're a damn good window cleaner, you look presentable and you're articulate. Why do you undervalue yourself?

Look - if your round is full why would it be "wrong" or "cowboyish" to charge double your regular rate? After all isn't it showing a lack of consideration to your regular customers to let a new one-off customer come along and pay not much more for a first (or one-off) clean?

You could make not just an honest living from window cleaning but a very good one if you realised your true worth.

Lecture from old Malc over!  ;)
It's a game of three halves!