This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Majestic

Re: Silly prices!Why do people do it?
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2007, 03:33:34 pm »
People get what they pay for.
I have seen some jobs that have been done at a low price

JM123

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2007, 03:44:28 pm »
why the hell everyone can't have a min of £10 is beyond me ,we did this two years ago and now its £12 no-one bats an eyelid because they now that they are getting an expert job fact Edd

so you can get away with charging £12 for a 3 bed semi when the going rate over here is £5, tell me how would I justify that to my customers? 

Live life in the fast lane.......if you break down you'll freewheel further

Ballymena N.I

simbo

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2007, 04:13:16 pm »
£12 is nothing, if you are getting £5 now how much were they 10 years ago £1? what about inflation higher fuel etc etc. Look at it this way, you have marks and sparks high price then you have lidle and netto etc, they all have customers but at different prices be like marks and present to the high end eg good setup pro appearance its that simple
simbo
as said £10 min aswell don't want' the job otherwise, i might not have hundreds of customers but price makes 200 odd  equal to 400 crap

scrimit2

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2007, 04:16:34 pm »
a low price doesnt always mean a bad Job, as I said in my earlier post!  i get £4 for those semi's I do, the other window cleaners on the estate charge more but only do a handful of houses on there, not just because they are more expensive, they have either upset the customers because, they dont do a brilliant job, they dont clean the frosted windows and often generally un friendly to the customers,

so those guys charge a £1 or so more but they do 2 houses and have to move onto another estate to do 2 or 3 there,so what they are gaining is lost because of having to move on, ok Im getting £4 but Im in the one place all day, dont get me wrong, my prices are going rise. a £10 minimum charge would be great, but i think i would lose all the jobs on that estate

scrimit

Paul Coleman

« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2007, 06:34:31 pm »
a low price doesnt always mean a bad Job, as I said in my earlier post!  i get £4 for those semi's I do, the other window cleaners on the estate charge more but only do a handful of houses on there, not just because they are more expensive, they have either upset the customers because, they dont do a brilliant job, they dont clean the frosted windows and often generally un friendly to the customers,

so those guys charge a £1 or so more but they do 2 houses and have to move onto another estate to do 2 or 3 there,so what they are gaining is lost because of having to move on, ok Im getting £4 but Im in the one place all day, dont get me wrong, my prices are going rise. a £10 minimum charge would be great, but i think i would lose all the jobs on that estate

scrimit

I shouldn't think there is time to be too friendly with the custies at those prices really.  A smile and a thank you go a long way but small talk is out if the prices are low.

S.Carpenter

« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2007, 06:50:10 pm »
When your charging £50 a house they'll still be somebody doing it for a tenner, thats life.

brett walker

« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2007, 07:38:30 pm »
I stick to a minimum of 10 pound unless its a small job

I had a lady ask me yesterday i told her 12 pound, she replied your expensive i said  yes but im good and im not bad at window cleaning either ;D  she said her other window cleaner only charged 10 but he packed up.  Although it was only worth 10 i quoted her 12 as i am getting very packed out with work

you will always get the silly price brigade

Brett

pwcleaning

« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2007, 08:38:23 pm »
ive only just started but i dont mind doing a few houses in a row for £5.50 ( front only ) Then £4.50 for the back. Is this to low ??? ive got a few roads like this and it means that i dont have to move the van all day :)

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2007, 08:47:13 pm »
Possibly someone with a full time shift work type job. A fireman around here charges £7 for a 4 bed detached with leaded windows. Yes he uses WFP.
I would have trouble getting below £15 to justify this particular property.
How/why does he do it? Because it's just some extra beer token money.
No, because it's good money.

I doubt it takes more than 10-15 mins and he's getting £7.
He could do at least 4 and a bit an hour, that's £30.

£100+ morning?
Underpriced?
If you want double that you're just a rip off, sorry. ::)

pwcleaning

« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2007, 08:51:20 pm »
because i havent got much work at the moment, i always worry about customers saying im too expensive for the job i do, i try to do the best i can but ive only bin cleaning for a month or so. For more experience guys it may be different.
I would be happy with £100 for a mornings work.

jeff68

« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2007, 09:19:50 pm »
I get new custies saying i'm too pricey all time,I  get fed up with justifying my prices.I even cut my minimum to £10.They say will I do it cheaper for cash and I say no,because cash or cheque or even paypal £10 the minimum I will do windows for.Anything less is just undervalueing myself.I live in Mudeford(dorset) and the place is full of wrinklees who want there windows cleaned for pennies even though the house they live in is worth a small fortune.

cherubs cleaning

« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2007, 09:37:16 pm »
you lot r mad £50 per hour ,our i will stay in bed

lol jerry

Jason Atwell

« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2007, 10:44:15 pm »
£100 for a conservatory clean, what is it? Nobody round here would pay that!!!!
Fleetwood Window Cleaning Services

pwcleaning

« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2007, 11:39:00 pm »
give over im not on £50 a day :'( :'( :'( :'( ;D

Paul Coleman

« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2007, 10:12:12 am »
Possibly someone with a full time shift work type job. A fireman around here charges £7 for a 4 bed detached with leaded windows. Yes he uses WFP.
I would have trouble getting below £15 to justify this particular property.
How/why does he do it? Because it's just some extra beer token money.
No, because it's good money.

I doubt it takes more than 10-15 mins and he's getting £7.
He could do at least 4 and a bit an hour, that's £30.

£100+ morning?
Underpriced?
If you want double that you're just a rip off, sorry. ::)

Although prices can seem very high sometimes, guess how many of my customers wanted to pay me for doing nothing when I was too ill to work a few years ago.  None (of course).  Nor did I expect it.  However, it taught me to charge well while I am well enough to work as the only person who is going to look after me is me.  Mind you, I agree that £100+ in a morning is pretty good going.

Ian_Giles

« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2007, 11:40:16 am »
Squeaks seems to think that anyone earning over £150 a day is ripping off customers, but if the prices charged are reasonably competitive (ie, Rog charges £7-£7.50 for houses I charge £9 for) and you are doing work to a high standard and you are able to do £150 plus a day then just who is being ripped off?

I Know guys earning above £100 a shift, picking at some local warehouses, continental shifts, lots of time off, paid holidays and so on, I'm sure as hell worth at least what they are earning, but to make say...25 grand a year (thats only £500 per week) you've got to have a business turnover of at the very least 30k, and you have to cover your holidays, sick days, bad weather days and so on and so on, and if you want the equivalent of £500 per week then you are going to have to be doing at least £150 per day for your end of year figures to work out to 25k per year.

Window cleaners are one of the worst for thinking that what they have in their pocket at the end of the day equals their wage, it DOESN'T!

Someone who will clean a house for just a few quid, and a conseratory for just 2 quid are ridiculous, absolute no hopers, destined to go bust or live the life of a peasant, they are going to earn less in 40 hours than they'd get on benifit, and they still have to run a business on that too!

they will always be about, the influx of eastern europeans is going to cause problems though....hope to god the buggers don't decide to infest the area I live in :-\

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2007, 11:56:42 am »
As usual you pick up my  comment Ian. ::)

What I meant was that the bloke isn't charging stupidly low prices if he can do £20+ an hour.

The original post said he wanted £15 for a house this guy did for £7.
If that guy does this £7 in 15 mins or less he's not a cheapo.

Doubling his price is unneccesary and greedy.
Anyone around here who wanted double my prices would be looked at as John Wayne by me.

jeff68

« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2007, 03:05:21 pm »
No you are wrong.My original post was 4.50 for a house not 7.00.I do the house for 15.00.He has to do about 3 houses to get the money I do one house for.Yes it might only take him 45 mins but I'm on to my next one by then.So all i'm trying to say is he's got to work alot harder to get 15.00 than me..

cottonbud10

« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2007, 04:21:20 pm »
jeff68 i know what you meen,i live in southend and so customers who i give quoters to for say a 3 bed semi at 13- 15 pounds, say how much, my last w/c only charged £7,when you explain the time to do the job will be about 30-45 mins,again i get my last one only took 10-15 mins,begs the question....what sort of job did they do,i believe you should do the job as well as you would like it done on your own home

dai

« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2007, 06:31:08 pm »
Lots of guys start with the mindframe of doing a first class job, and being fare with our customers.
I include myself in this catagory.
I was wrong, I should have been doing a first class job, and been fare with myself.
We get no thanks whatsoever from our customers, for being cheaper than the other guy.
IF YOU WERE DOING THE JOB FOR NOTHING. THERE WOULD STILL BE SOME WHO WOULD FIND SOMETHING TO WINGE ABOUT. Dai