This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

** MAPLINS SPLIT CHARGE RELAY **
« on: January 27, 2007, 03:55:21 pm »
Guys, of you if any have installed one of these can you please tell me if the ( - ) input goes to the alternator ( - ) or the chassis? thanks

window wonder

Re: ** MAPLINS SPLIT CHARGE RELAY **
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2007, 05:22:05 pm »
id say chassis as every earth has to be grounded to the chassis
slwcn member

jeff1

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2007, 06:33:37 pm »
Never fitted one of them, but looking at the diagram, the + lead should go to the charging light (thin wire of the alternator) so the other one should go to the chassis these two wires go across the coil inside of the relay.

Your alternator should have two wires but in some cases there may be three or more, the extra for things like rev counters, if it has more than two and you are unsure as to the correct wire, then disconnect one thin one at a time, then turn on your ignition, if the battery light fails to come on, on the dashboard, then you have the right wire, if not reconnect the wire and try another. Do not touch the thick wire.

Jon T.C.

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2007, 11:30:42 am »
Easy,

Do you mind me asking how much that relay was ?

regards Jon
Elite Cleaning Solutions

Alistair@AWC

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2007, 05:42:36 pm »
I bought one of those but when I gave it to my auto electrician he told me to take it back as it wasnt good enough to charge both batteries, if your using it to charge your working battery from your van alternator I would advise you not to bother as unless you cover one hell of a lot of miles each day you'll find your working battery dead after 2 or 3 days. I spent about £80 having that set up fitted only to find 3 days later I was buying a battery charger from Halfords

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2007, 05:54:48 pm »
So which ones are best to be fitted then as i had Tucker fit my last one and it lasted 4 yeasr without ever having to charge my working battery. Did your auto elecy fit a different one cos if i was told it wouldnt last long and paying £80....... why did he fit it if it was no good?

jeff1

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2007, 06:00:11 pm »
Have a look at your old relay, it should say on the coil it is 12v rated, and some-where it should give the contact rating.

So, if you buy one, make sure the contacts are able to take the ampH of your battery, and the coil is 12v reated.

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2007, 06:10:22 pm »
Old relay........... if you mean the one in the old van thats gone to the scrap yard ?

jeff1

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2007, 06:16:45 pm »
Old relay........... if you mean the one in the old van thats gone to the scrap yard ?
::) ::) ;D
Check the rating on your new relay, if it does not say on there then check maplins web site, it should say on there.

The thing is if the contacts are under rated, they can weld together and even cause a fire.

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2007, 06:26:19 pm »
This is what is on the packet and website

Using this module it is possible to charge two 6-24V lead acid batteries (e.g. car batteries) from the same power source. The charging current is distributed in such a manner that a discharged battery is charged more intensively than an battery wh

Using this module it is possible to charge two 6-24V lead acid batteries (e.g. car batteries) from the same power source. The charging current is distributed in such a manner that a discharged battery is charged more intensively than an battery which is almost charged. Ideal for use in motor homes, boats or caravans where the TV, radio, etc. is operated from one battery and the second battery must remain charged for starting the motor.

Lead Acid Battery Split Charge Module

Q) Does it work on 230 v ac power? -
A) No 6 to 24v DC charging systems only

Q) What is the power rating in amps of the unit? - Phil Roberts
A) 8 Amps continuous.

Q) Is there a web site for this module. - brian
A) Yes here:- http://www.kemo-electronic.com/en/module/m102/index.htm

Q) Do the batteries have to be the same capacity (in Ah)? Or can I have say one 12v battery at 40Ah and one at 80 Ah? Thanks. - Tom
A) yes different capacities can be charged at the same time.

Q) What is the maximum and minimum primary AC voltage required. - Adrian
A) pertinent information available here http://www.kemo-electronic.de/pdf/m102/m102.pdf

jeff1

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2007, 06:33:47 pm »
This little section alone tells me its man enough to do the Job,
For charging currents up to 8A at maximum (for a short time 20A).

So the one you have from maplins is a good rateing.

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2007, 06:38:00 pm »
I thought it would be ok..but i suppose if i took it to a garage they are going to say its no good because i havent bought it from them?

jeff1

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2007, 06:46:17 pm »
I thought it would be ok..but i suppose if i took it to a garage they are going to say its no good because i havent bought it from them?
That's the usual story.

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2007, 06:47:45 pm »
Cheers Jeff great help but i knew you would be

jeff1

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2007, 06:57:01 pm »
All you guy's have helped me no end in the past, I have to repay my debts ;D ;D