This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

RO-Sheen

Just got a fright!!
« on: January 24, 2007, 06:46:30 pm »
Just been reading up on RO membranes on the Gardiner site and it said that you should change your pre-filters every few months to prolong the life of the RO membrane.

I've got an Ionics Reach n wash pro5 for one nearly a year but I havent changed any prefilters. Should I? I do flush the RO once a week though..........
Formerly known as GARGAAX

Paul Coleman

Re: Just got a fright!!
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 07:11:15 pm »
Just been reading up on RO membranes on the Gardiner site and it said that you should change your pre-filters every few months to prolong the life of the RO membrane.

I've got an Ionics Reach n wash pro5 for one nearly a year but I havent changed any prefilters. Should I? I do flush the RO once a week though..........

I don't know if flushing helps with this or not as I don't have a system like that.  However, pre-filters usually need changing at least every six months or you can wreck the membranes.
I wrecked my membranes a few months back as I misunderstood advice I was given and had to buy three more.  It was a lot more costly than it would otherwise have been.
Unless someone who knows advises otherwise, I think you should change those pre filters with immediate effect.

edd

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 07:38:01 pm »
I've got a pro 5 it says on the filter to change them every 150000 litres i think and the back wash with salt i was told to do every night {pain in the arse} job
I have now bought a water softer for the house 30ltr so I've got soft water in the house and for the van as well so no more back washing. i`ve removed the carbon and the softener cartridges and replaced them with 10inch ones a sediment filter and a carbon filter which are changed every 3 months only £15.00 not like the Ionic ones at
£88.00 each!!!!! :o :o and also removed the color change resin and put a 25 litre one in which i can change the resin myself as the Ionic ones again cost £88.00 for there 6 litre it only lasted us about 2/3 months the big 25 DI vessel has lasted nearly a year now well £79.00 for a bag of resin which could last 18 months or more or £88.00 every 2/3 months you decide?? ::)my ppm from tap is 280 from ro is 3ppm after the resin 000 and the waste is 575ppm if you want any pics ask but the change has saved a fortune and a lot of money spare for,new poles etc etc cheers Edd

Bazzy1999

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 07:53:29 pm »
Edd...where did you get your water softner and how much?

Bazz...

edd

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2007, 08:02:23 pm »
gaps water treatment about £400

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2007, 08:52:27 pm »
The first RO system I ever had, I received no instructions with it, so never changed anything! Funnily it only lasted a year before I had to throw away the whole unit.

I learnt the hard way, never again.

I live in a very soft water area (yippeee!) but the water is very brown! so I now change my sediment filter about every 6-8 weeks, the Carbon ones about every 3-4 months.

Alex

Bazzy1999

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2007, 09:24:19 pm »
What one do you put first the sediment or the carbon filter ??

Bazz...

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2007, 07:53:37 am »
Sediment

seanmcshane

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2007, 01:56:29 pm »
The sediment filter actually protects the carbon filter because the elements the sediment filter removes would damage the carbon filter in a very short time.
Change every 6 months.