This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

dai

Your rinsing technique
« on: January 23, 2007, 08:41:15 pm »
Most of us that went WFP did so without  training. We find a system that suits us, and get on with it. I have yet to watch an experienced WFP user doing the job.
Take rinsing, We know how to wash and rinse a pane of glass, but what is the best way to do a series of pains as in a conservatory?
Up to now I have been washing, rinsing, move to the next pane. I realised today that this way takes longer. Why? Because I am washing the next pane carefully, so that dirty water from the pane I'm washing, doesn't splash onto the pane I have just rinsed. I was much quicker when I washed one side of the conservatory, and then rinsed the lot before starting on the next side.
I didn't have to be careful about splashing the last pane as they all had to be rinsed after.
How do you do it? Rinse the pane before moving to the next, or wash a few and then rinse the lot. Dai

spotless2000

Re: Your rinsing technique
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 08:46:23 pm »
When I first started I washed one pane then rinsed it before moving on to the next pane.  Now I wash a few then rinse the same few before moving on.

Do you lift the brush off to rinse?

Steve

Clear Vision

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 08:50:05 pm »
On windows close together like on a conservatory, I will wash one side then go back to the stert and rinse the whole lot together.

On a normal house I will usually just wash and rinse one window then move onto the next.

I lift to rinse. Am I right to lift?

Matthew

niceandclean

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2007, 08:52:50 pm »
Im the same, scrub one side of the conservatory then rinse all together. I always lift to rinse, except on velux windows.

spotless2000

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2007, 08:55:48 pm »
I have lifted off to rinse since I started with WFP, but I cleaned my own windows this weekend (after a lot of nagging from 'er indoors) and to get the job done quickly I just wizzed round and didn't bother to rinse.  

Result - as good as if I had lifted off to rinse ???

I don't want to risk this on a customer's house! :-\

Steve

Clear Vision

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2007, 08:58:09 pm »

Result - as good as if I had lifted off to rinse ???

I don't want to risk this on a customer's house! :-\

Steve

I know where your coming from. Im the same too

Chris Cottrell

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2007, 10:02:48 pm »
me too

always rinse off glass too risky otherwise

macc

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2007, 10:08:08 pm »
Same here. There are plenty on this forem who rince with out lifting there brush.

Not got the guts to risk it,  ::)

matt

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2007, 10:45:33 pm »
i dont see the issue with rinsing with the brush off, EXCEPT for HIGH stuff, i allways lift the brush head, gives me a little bit omore peice of mind

Chris Cottrell

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2007, 10:53:17 pm »
when i use the 40' pole i dont rinse off glass cause i cant control it but it always seems to be ok

andyp

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2007, 11:08:08 am »
when your cleaning a high building its easier to turn the brush on a slant to rinse as to lifting it off glass,its alot safer easier and most of all quicker ;)

Pj

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2007, 12:17:51 pm »
Good topic Dai

I am constantly experimenting.  It depends a lot on weather conditions and how dirty the windows are. 
For example:  If I'm doing a conservatory this time of year and it's not too dirty, say I cleaned it a month ago, then I'll clean a side then go back and rinse the lot.  I've noticed that if there is a fair bit of dust type dirt washing off in warmer weather it's better to rinse fairly quick after washing otherwise the grit seems to stick a bit more requiring more rinsing.
I still use mainly ionics brush and I find my technique is improving all the time as I get to know my tool.  I have got to know on some windows that it's fine to rinse on, on a few others I rinse off.  If I keep the water flow up then I can usually rinse on, just sweep the brush from side to side at the top bar of the window and I can see if the water is flowing clear usually.

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2007, 05:27:12 pm »
Could I suggest that it is also complicated by what type of bristle you use ? Flocked holds dirt more than monofilament and therefore needs a lot more water/rinsing ?
If you use ott "jets" you do not need to rinse off the glass or turn the brush ?
As Dai said it does also depend on weather conditions.

Clear Vision

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2007, 06:37:21 pm »
Jeff,

Are the tesco,asda & co-op brushes monofilament?

Londoner

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2007, 06:45:29 pm »
I think its only natural to refine your technique. I am a bit moronic about rinsing but I see other cleaners who don't seem that bothered. At first I just dismissed them as cowboys but now I'm not so sure

I am lucky, my "other Job" is a London Taxi driver so I get around a lot and get to see a lot of other people cleaning windows. If I am able I always stop and watch and I do see a lot of variation in technique and effort.
If I can get it togeather I would like to secretly video some of the people and post the results on here. It would be interesting

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2007, 06:49:56 pm »
Tesco- flocked,
Asda Bentley Flocked,
Asda own brand new - flocked,
Co op- Addis mono filament.
Tucker mono filament,
Ionics Mono ? 
Vikan round,- flocked,
Vikan rectangular, new- mono.

Clear Vision

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2007, 06:52:08 pm »
Tesco- flocked,
Asda addis - flocked,
Asda own brand- flocked,
Co op- Addis mono filament.
Tucker mono filament,
Ionics Mono ? 
Vikan round,- flocked,
Vikan rectangular, new ?

Thanks jeff.

I think that the rectangular vikan is mono? But I'm not 100%

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2007, 06:53:46 pm »
Mono filament is not splayed splintered.
Flocked the bristle look like they have been crushed and splintered at the tips.(furry)

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2007, 08:59:03 pm »
I always lift to rinse. On high windows I tilt the brush head to take the weight whilst rinsing (getting old!).

There are many who will defend On-Glass rinsing but why take the risk? It is the curtain effect that will rinse the glass and leaving the bristles in the way disturbs the effectiveness.

Bristles do make some difference, but overall a good technique will work 100% of the time regardless of the brush.

Alex

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2007, 09:51:38 pm »
Just to add to the 'fray'.

With sheeting glass, I always rinse with the brush head on the glass.

With beading glass, I generally rinse with the brush head off the glass.

I prefer rinsing with the brush head on the glass since it's easier and I suspect the bristles help drag down any dirt.

Anyway, It's rare I get complaints, and to be honest, brush on or off; I don't think it really matters.