Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

petski2

Spinning pole
« on: January 23, 2007, 02:17:22 pm »
Hi all,yes the usual problem we all get with our poles.
If its not the clamps wearing out its the pole section wearing away. ::)
Anyhow I digress ;D
A while ago I saw a post in which someone mentioned some sort of solution you can apply to the pole sections to stop them wearing away so quickly.
I have searched through but cant find it.
Does anyone know the product.
Cheers
Pete

007 or what

Re: Spinning pole
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 04:03:53 pm »
mine's doing the same bloody annoying >:(

macc

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 05:02:50 pm »
I know it sounds stupid but i wonderes if the cold is causing the poles & clamps ti contract slightly,  ???

Chris Cottrell

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2007, 05:20:19 pm »
No its just wear n tear

solution buy some new clamps ... sorted

Chris

petski2

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2007, 07:13:51 pm »
Hi Chris,afraid it aint as simple as that mate. ::)
I have already had a new set of clamps for them,the pole sections have literally worn away so even brand new clamps of the correct size wont work.
I know some will say buy new pole sections or get a new pole.The fact is that im getting fed up of buying new poles every few months,for the money we pay we should be able to expect longer usage from them. >:(
Does anyone know the product to cover the pole sections so they last longer.
Thanks
Pete

Clear Vision

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2007, 07:18:30 pm »
I know it sounds stupid but i wonderes if the cold is causing the poles & clamps ti contract slightly,  ???

Thats not stupid! Thats the most sensible post on this topic.

What happens to wood in the summer? It shrinks!
What happens to wood in the winter? It expands and swells

I know were not talking about wood here but this can happen to many other different materials.

Matthew

marc al

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2007, 09:06:08 pm »
  i am having the same problem with my 16ft pole, it is damn annoying, but while reading this post I had a moment of clarity - this weekend I am going to take the end section of pole out, take it to bits and put it back together with the bootom as the top!

Marc

macmac

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2007, 04:07:18 pm »
just had a thought, may be stupid but i'll tell you anyway-

what about painting the worn section with a clear satin varnish, maybe even 2 coats to try and build up a layer on the section to replace what has worn away??
this may be worth trying before ditching a pole.
anyone ever tried this before i patent it? ;D

tony

Grafters Cleaning Services

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2007, 04:32:59 pm »
that sounds like a good idea tony, that may well work?
JAY "GRAFTERS"
From Southampton
www.high-shine.co.uk

macmac

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2007, 05:07:06 pm »
for sale- special pole-repair varnish, 25 smackers a tin, collect from b&q. PATENT PENDING ;D ;D ;D ;D

petski2

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2007, 05:20:47 pm »
It just cracks within no time. :(

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2007, 05:28:41 pm »
Marc, thats innovative thinking.  :) I think/Hope it works.

edd

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2007, 08:01:18 pm »
my only tip is spray your pole with 3in 1 silicon spray it dries in seconds and wipe it all over with an old scrim every day my pole is over a year old it still ok and its an ionic one but the silicon spray does help Edd

poles apart

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2007, 08:10:39 pm »
You can buy graphite spray from a fishing tackle shop. They use it to build up the carbon poles. You would most probably need to apply quite a few layers but it's worth a try! Just spray the bottom two inches where the clamp tightens.
Rod

Chris Cottrell

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2007, 08:25:30 pm »
you could also just cut out the worn segment and rebuild it ive done that before with no probs it just shortens the pole by a couple of inches , its often only worn clamps or worn part of the pole thats underneath the clamp

ok cleaning

« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2007, 08:58:57 pm »
 good evening everyone i had the same prob with my ionic wfp the reason for wearing is the pole is made of glassfibre which is very soft material  and not good for using it very often and yes i painted it but it is no good cos the paint peels very quickly and easyly when it is wet.  Better way was hose clips i put them where the section of the poles joined instead of regular clips and tighten them with screw driver each and every time i extended my wfp that was good enough  but takes time and sometimes diffucult so in the end i turned the first part of it to a shorter pole which is very usefull and i built my self a 8 meter alimunium wfp and so pleased with it no more tears i hoe that helps boys

herbiefatboy

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2007, 09:18:08 pm »
i have the same problem  when i first got my pole i sprayed it with WD40 but now  the clamps have tightened up as far as they can so what i have done is used a tile cutter or a hack saw to cut a sliver out off the clamp.it does give it a few more months use  i hope people can understand this.

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2007, 09:45:22 pm »
My first pole was an 18" Ionics glass fibre pole and the clamps/pole wore down within about six months.

After that I used my Unger alluminium pole and have done ever since.  The 'twisty' clamps require a little bit of getting used to; there's a knack, but they're extremely robust and hard wearing and the only parts that wear are these small plastic 'collars' that cost pennies to replace.

They're lighter than glass fibre too.

I think they're great; however none of my work is above 2nd floor.

petski2

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2007, 09:49:52 pm »
Thanks for the replies guys.
Tosh I may look at the Unger as I really am sick of buying new clamps.

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2007, 08:02:22 am »
Don't close the clamps so tightly skipet.