This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

pjulk

May Be Packing In
« on: January 23, 2007, 01:16:35 pm »
I may have to pack in window cleaning i have been told today by my doctor.

They think i may have osteoporosis but will not know for definate until next week.

About 5-6 years i hurt my back at work and had a disk removed and another repaired.
I also got rheumatoid arthritis in my back which i have had since i first damaged my back.

I have had a lot of pain in my back the last couple of months so i was sent for a MRI scan two weeks ago and got the results this morning it came up with a hair line fracture on my spine.
And also the last few years i keep breaking my teeth for no apparent reason.
And they looked back at my medical records and said they they think i may have osteoporosis.
Next week i have to go for a bone density test which will say for certain whether i have it.
I have also been told im not to go to work for a week and need to go back to the doctors next week.

Also been told im not allowed to drive until i see the doctor next because of the drugs they are giving me.

They said if there is no improvement in my condition by next week they are taking me into hospital.

The last couple of weeks some days i have had trouble walking but after a few hours and the drugs kick in it does get better but have been struggling at work.

So next week i will know for sure whether im packing in.
And its all come just at the wrong time as i have just taken over another round and things have been going really good for me work wise lately.

Paul

Jeff Brimble

Re: May Be Packing In
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 01:26:30 pm »
Gawd, dont know what to say  :(
Its early days yet to make radical judgements. Maybe moving about kept you fit. Its not over yet, keep positive above all else. Maybe think about becoming an employer and getting a workforce instead of losing all that experience. The state wont generally give you a penny for 6 months.
Blxxdy ell

pjulk

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 01:40:09 pm »
I going to wait until next week and see whats happening.
Im not sure what to do if i do have osteoporosis but im hoping i have not and some other treatment will sort me out.

I may employ someone as i have been thinking about that and get my lad out canvassing and build the business up more and employ people.

A freind of mine did say if i sell up he would buy it.
But to be honest it has taken me time to build up so don't really want to let it go.

I was a bit shocked when they told me i may have to stop work.

I going to send a letter out to my customers telling them they are going to be a bit late just so i don't lose any as im behind anyway.

Paul

DaveWilkinson

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2007, 01:42:17 pm »
I would imagine it would be straight on to invalididty benefit tbh, but I would certaily consider the desk job and taking staff on.

Hope the news in good when you get it.

jeff1

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2007, 01:43:31 pm »
Really gutted for you paul, and I hope all goes well for you next week?
Like Jeff says don't loose all that experience and hard work you put into building a good business, get someone to work for you, or even rent your round out.

Let us know how you get on next week, but I hope the results come back saying you can carry on. wishing you the very best for the future.

pjulk

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2007, 01:59:54 pm »
Thanks for that support chaps.

I don't think i would rent the round out but i have enough work to keep two people going full time.
So this may be the way i go employing and my son will also canvass every evening to build it up even more.

But i will see how we go next week.

Paul

Jon T.C.

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2007, 02:41:42 pm »
Good Luck next week. Take it from there.

Best Wishes mate.

Jon
Elite Cleaning Solutions

simon knight

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2007, 03:12:15 pm »

Fingers Xed they can sort you out mate. Good idea to write to your customers but I wouldn't tell them the reason you're gonna be late. You know what people are like....they think you might not be coming back and suddenly they're in the market for a new w/c >:(

Anyway good luck!!

Simon

pjulk

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2007, 03:22:14 pm »
Thanks for that.

I may have someone to drive my lad around for a week so may not need the letter.

But i have now made my mind up what im going to do.
I was going to build my business up more anyway before i found out about this.
Now because of this even if the new is good i am still going to have some back problems.
Now this is going to make sure i build it up and employ.

Paul

david-maunder

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2007, 03:22:29 pm »
  :o sorry to hear this Paul.......

think positive , lets hope its better news next week....

i will pray for you mate....

poleman

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2007, 03:52:27 pm »
Hi Paul, sorry to hear your news, I can only wish you all the best for next week, times like this is never easy as I know my self as had heath problems last year, and I found family and friends are very important at times like this, be strong and what ever the out come I know your a fighter

Andy 

007 or what

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2007, 04:01:02 pm »
Keep looking up mate i've had bad trouble with my back too thats why i took up w/c as apposed to welding you have options just keep positive, thinking of you. nick

russ_clark

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2007, 05:38:41 pm »
Keep Positive mate
Its your hard graft that built your business up and no-one can take that away.
My advice is don't rush in to any hasty decisions.
Hope you get some good news next week mate
All the best
Russ

Fast 1 *

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2007, 05:41:12 pm »
sorry to hear that mate.
Im sure there are ways round it.

Get other people to do it,while you get the work in
wildstyles

Clear Vision

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2007, 05:41:53 pm »
sorry to hear your news paul.

Keep possitive but whatever you do, dont sell your round. Once it's gone it's gone.

I'm sure you have worked hard for you round so selling it isn't really an option! So if worst comes to worse employ people to do your work for you!

Chin up and keep possitive ;)

Take care

Matthew

Paul Coleman

« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2007, 05:54:27 pm »
I may have to pack in window cleaning i have been told today by my doctor.

They think i may have osteoporosis but will not know for definate until next week.

About 5-6 years i hurt my back at work and had a disk removed and another repaired.
I also got rheumatoid arthritis in my back which i have had since i first damaged my back.

I have had a lot of pain in my back the last couple of months so i was sent for a MRI scan two weeks ago and got the results this morning it came up with a hair line fracture on my spine.
And also the last few years i keep breaking my teeth for no apparent reason.
And they looked back at my medical records and said they they think i may have osteoporosis.
Next week i have to go for a bone density test which will say for certain whether i have it.
I have also been told im not to go to work for a week and need to go back to the doctors next week.

Also been told im not allowed to drive until i see the doctor next because of the drugs they are giving me.

They said if there is no improvement in my condition by next week they are taking me into hospital.

The last couple of weeks some days i have had trouble walking but after a few hours and the drugs kick in it does get better but have been struggling at work.

So next week i will know for sure whether im packing in.
And its all come just at the wrong time as i have just taken over another round and things have been going really good for me work wise lately.

Paul

I'm gutted for you Paul.
OK so no big decisions until you have all the facts but employing sounds like it would be the way forward if you do become unable to do the manual work.
I second what somebody else said.  DON'T tell the customers what's going on.  I made that mistake several years ago .  Even though I mailshotted everyone to tell them I would be struggling to provide a service for a few months, I did tell them that I would be back.  Even so, quite a few cancelled.  I guess some of them were just looking for an excuse.  Nothing wrong with being honest but sometimes there is room for "selective" honesty.
OK so businesswise this could actually make you in the mid to long term.  Not being able to the work yourself could get boring but doing the organising should occupy a fair bit of time.
I do seem to have gaps in my workload still so if you get stuck I might have a few days spare at times.  OK I realise you would need to turn a profit so I would be OK working for a bit less temporarily on a day when I wouldn't be earning anyway.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2007, 06:02:23 pm »
I'm very sorry to hear of your dilemma Paul.

Best wishes.
It's a game of three halves!

robbie14000

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2007, 06:06:56 pm »
Paul, hope things work out for you they.
Good Luck
Robbie - Clearshine

KarlJones

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2007, 06:10:03 pm »
between me and you and everyone else, I reckon you could make a fair few quid canvassing and round building.  I know it has not got the same kick but it is still good money.
You cannot plough a field by turning it over in your mind.

L.Doubtfire - The Blade Runner

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2007, 06:54:11 pm »

I can only reiterate what everone else has written Paul.Whatever the future does hold
For you,best of luck

Lewis  Doubtfire   Gleem Clean
L. Doubtfire
Window Cleaner