This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

dai

Increase in cancellations
« on: January 16, 2007, 08:44:17 pm »
For the first time since starting back in window cleaning 13 years ago, I am losing more customers than I am taking on.
Since October I have noticed a marked increase in cancellations.
One long standing customer cancelled today. He said that the windows were getting dirty so soon after they had been cleaned, it wasn't worth having them done.
I was expecting a few cancellations, what with the Christmas credit card bills and the hike in interest rates. But as I said this has started since October.
I have had no complaints as regards my work, but they don't always tell you the real reason do they?
It won't affect my pocket as I'm 20% over capacity as it is, but it's a worrying trend.
Anyone else had more than the usual cancellations in the last 3 months? Dai

steveaqua

Re: Increase in cancellations
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2007, 08:47:14 pm »
I have myself, i am taking on a lot of new work at the mo so i know you sort the wheat from the chaf but i just thought it was the time of year...hopefully it is :-\

Mr.G

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 09:39:51 pm »
maybe someones doing them on the cheap?

Ladders

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2007, 09:55:15 pm »
Dai.

Have you put your prices up since oct, and are they all done W.F.P that have canceled.

Jeff
For every problem there is a solution

carl stanton

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2007, 10:18:49 pm »
well the intrest rates have gone up and crimbo bills n' that could be a factor as you said and we have the highest living cost in 15 years. but no matter if you have to much work you still feel it when they cancel!! well i do,
       Carl

KarlJones

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2007, 01:07:47 am »
Well Dai, if it was just this month I would say it had something to do with bills ect.  Who knows it may well be that?

I have a pretty good book on running a business and I turn to it from time to time, it has this to say on summing up about customer retention.

"Gaining the loyalty and trust of your customers can only be achieved if they feel you are fulfilling their exact needs, and that they will continue to receive value from you that meets their needs in the future"

it then goes on to say about how you should keep repeating your unique selling point to them as often as possible which should make it more difficult for them to leave.  It says that if you fail to state your selling points strongly enough it is the reason they are likely to leave.

Above all never let them forget why they bought from you in the first place.

One long standing customer cancelled today. He said that the windows were getting dirty so soon after they had been cleaned, it wasn't worth having them done.

Ok so lets assume he was shooting from the hip and telling you exactly how he felt.  How can we stop this sort of behaviour in the future?  Well lets look back at the golden rule of customer retention... 
"Above all never let them forget why they bought from you in the first place"

Something that I would try, it might not work but it would solve this problem a bit I think...

Produce a new leaflet, on it have a before and after.  Something like "Not cleaned for 12 months" and "Just xx mins later, nice and clean"

I would then hand these out to customers,  maybe on some sort of newsletter, maybe even ask them what they think of your new flyer.  Hey if you really felt brave you could ask them to come up with a caption for your new flyer and offer a free clean to the winner. 

The main aim is to try and drum it back into their heads, that no matter how bad the weather they do not want their house looking like the "before" photo.  I think some people forget how bad windows and frames can look after 12 months.

Remind them.
You cannot plough a field by turning it over in your mind.

lee_dewing

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2007, 11:17:45 am »
hi have you recently changed over to wfp?
I lost 2% when i did 4 months ago.

If yes it's your technique. wfp or trade.

as your cleanit up god, i'm guessing your great at cleaning windows and as  you said intrest rates and inflation are taking their toll and people are cutting back.

Try to canvass in more affluent areas it wears  just as much shoe leather to leaflet a big house as a small house.
In a recession the rich are always less affected.
I'm now aiming to canvass more lucrative work,
Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work.     - Aristotle

niceandclean

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2007, 05:37:46 pm »
Try to canvass in more affluent areas it wears  just as much shoe leather to leaflet a big house as a small house.
In a recession the rich are always less affected.
I'm now aiming to canvass more lucrative work,

I have got a canvass team doing some work for me, i have told them i only want the big houses, nice areas ect ect. They have been doing 1-2 nights here and there for me for 4-5 months, and the quality of the work and the prices that i have been getting is brilliant, none of the customers have moaned about rain, none have said not this time, they leave the money out if they are not in, fantastic. You are right Lee, the more affluent areas are the way to go for me!

dai

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2007, 09:26:34 pm »
I have been WFP for 18 months, but I have started WFP bottoms as well since the clocks went back. I have reservations about using WFP on doors. They are more prone to leak. There is also the issue about walking into the house across a wet patch.
 I don't know of any reason apart from this weather. Storms and rain every week since the beginning of November.
I had another cancellation today. The reason, Stormy weather forecast for tonight.
Not bothered about this one as she has a history of not this time thanks. I dropped her for a year for that reason, only took her back 6 months ago after she promised to have them done regular.
The Christmas bills and interest rates don't come into the equation really, this has been going on since The end of November.
I suppose I'm lucky in one respect, at least 80% of my customers are out during the day, so they're not there to cancel.
I'm not bothered as such, I have too much work anyway.
I've had no complaints about my work, but I'm going to go back to a few and check them when they have dried just in case. You can get too confident and maybe kid yourself that everything's fine when it isn't. Dai