Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

pjulk

Poxy Stick on plastic stips
« on: January 04, 2007, 03:03:25 pm »
I did a house today and they have those stupid stick on stips of plastic to make the window look like a geogian window and one fell off when i was cleaning it with my wfp.
Any ideas what i can stick this back on with.

The womans only just had these put in also.

I hate those stips.

Paul

simon knight

Re: Poxy Stick on plastic stips
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2007, 04:18:54 pm »

Tell the woman they're sooo naff that you're doing her a favour ;D

Seriously though I can't see how it's your fault....they should have been stuck on properly in the first place. Tell her to complain to whoever put them on.

pjulk

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2007, 04:31:39 pm »
I did say to her that they could not have been put on properly in the first place as they shouldn't come off.
But i did say ( Now i wish i never ) that i will try and find out how they are fixed on and if i can get something i will put it back on.

Paul

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2007, 04:32:33 pm »
Try some super glue.

Davie T

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2007, 04:34:44 pm »
Silicone adhesive with a "silicone gun"

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2007, 04:35:37 pm »
Silicone adhesive with a "silicone gun"

Isn't that for sinks and baths and stuff?

simon knight

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2007, 04:37:52 pm »

Superglue seems the best bet.

H h20

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2007, 04:38:00 pm »
Paul,i thought those palstic strips are usually in between the double glazing? Gaz

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2007, 04:44:26 pm »
Paul,i thought those palstic strips are usually in between the double glazing? Gaz

They can be, but not always.  I used to do a run of these type of windows, with the plastic strips stuck onto the glass when I was purely trad.

In the end I got so fed up with them I passed them onto Ian_Giles.

I still reckon supa-glue is your best bet.  I'd try just sticking plastic to plastic though, don't try plastic, with glue, to glass.  You should be able to just put a drop on each of the tips of the plastic.

H h20

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2007, 04:47:00 pm »
Well Tosh,that`s a first on me,never seen them stuck on the outside,no wonder they fall off(cheap skates)  ;D,
i would also say silicone is the best answer,
Gaz

Davie T

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2007, 04:47:50 pm »
For Tosh,   These silicones are available in many variations from bath use to impact adhesive such as "hard as nails" etc. The instructions of suitable uses can guide.

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2007, 04:50:22 pm »
For Tosh,   These silicones are available in many variations from bath use to impact adhesive such as "hard as nails" etc. The instructions of suitable uses can guide.

Cheers,

I just imagined it was like that waterproofing stuff you see round baths!  (I'm a Geordie).

pjulk

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2007, 04:50:31 pm »
Thanks for the replies.
I will try superglue as tosh has said but just on the ends so its plastic to plastic.
If that fails then i will try silicon.

I wish they were then i wouldn't get no problems but i have a few where they are stuck on the glass outside.
Whoever thought of that idea should be shot.

Paul

KarlJones

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2007, 05:00:17 pm »
I would go for PVA glue,  super glue might melt the plastic and cause more damage.

PVA glue hardens rock solid it just takes areg to go off,  so my guess is you will have to do it when there is a week with no rain forcast for a few days.

Hey your the window cleaners :)  you should have a good idea of what sticks to a window like glue.

You cannot plough a field by turning it over in your mind.

dai

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2007, 05:01:34 pm »
They stick aquariums together these days with silicone. As stated there are different types, some will go right into the glass and can't be removed. The silicone brick water proofing treatment being one of them. I have seen windows ruined by that stuff. Dai

« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2007, 05:12:30 pm »
Ive had this happen to me on new builds just tell them to complain to the building company they will have to replace under guarantee

EasyClean

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2007, 05:56:03 pm »
I've come across this problem too and all the window fitters do is stick them back on with double sided sticky adhesice strips which is a waste of time. They've even tried glueing them but they just keep getting knocked off from time to time.  They are a real pain in the ass too be honest!!!!
Losing a customer is like waiting for the next bus, another one will come along shortly!

jeff1

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2007, 05:56:24 pm »
Look in Screwfix's catalouge and the do a glazing glue that use can use, (anything to glass) use in applicator gun.

simon knight

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2007, 06:06:41 pm »

Get a black marker pen and draw the bloody thing back on.

brett walker

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2007, 08:59:04 pm »
Paul

i also suffer this problem with one of my customers when they fall off i just leave them off and lt them stick them back on.  They were worse when i was trad not so bad now i do wfp

Brett