This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

rosskesava

Best place to buy a van
« on: January 01, 2007, 08:50:37 pm »
I want to buy a van for work and this sounds stupid but altough I've bought cars in the past, I've never bought a van.

Is it best to buy privately or from a dealer?

Cheers and thanks.

JM123

Re: Best place to buy a van
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2007, 08:52:51 pm »
with so many good offers on vans you'd be better buying new, although there are some good bargains second-hand.  Just be careful with the second hand stuff as a lot of it has been abused
Live life in the fast lane.......if you break down you'll freewheel further

Ballymena N.I

DaveBrown

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2007, 09:42:08 pm »
Just a thought if youre not vat registered - look for a private seller who isnt either and save yourself 17.5%

Dave

neil100

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 09:14:06 am »
Buy new off the internet, the price includes delivery.

Thttp://www.thevanwebsite.co.uk/

Or  vansdirect.co.uk

The Vanwebsite lets you choose the van make and model then it will show you all the best deals on the web.

When you have got the best price for your van, check your local dealers in the area to see if they can beat that price,Its highly unlikely.

Buy new,Warranty and peace of mind plus you offset against Tax.A new van should give 5 years service with no trouble,Whats that worth?

Nel.

Trevor Knight

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2007, 10:38:33 am »
www.complete-commercials.co.uk

Speak to Fred, mention Trevor at First Clean Services and he will look after you!!

The money you would save is worth a train ticket down to collect your vehicle.

Covering Hampshire, Dorset, Surrey, Berkshire

rosskesava

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2007, 09:01:45 pm »
Thanks for the info and links.

After a day of going through www.thevanwebsite.co.uk (v good website that) and making a large number of phone calls I've decided to buy second hand although I'm still in a mind to buy a new van except for the depriciation is so rapid in the first year.

Anyway, I've seen one I like at www.complete-commercials.co.uk and they're less than an hours drive along the coast from me.

Cheers

www.mrgutters.co.uk

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2007, 11:06:26 pm »
hi mate

i am in the same boat as you the van is giving up on me too much to keep repairing so decided either new or nearly new van same again there is so much you lose in the first year tahts what puts me off buying new. will more than likely get a loan and go 2nd hand again but a year or so old with no more than 50k on the clock full s/h

what van are you buying ?

shawn
If a job's worth doing, it's worth doing well.

rosskesava

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2007, 12:13:16 am »
Hi Shawn

I'm going for a 3 year old Ford Connect. 53k on the clock.

One owner and no scratches to the interior or bodywork at the back which means it was not owned by a builder or similar.

I think the extra cost of buying new, around £11 000 for the same is just too high.

macmac

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2007, 12:23:45 am »
be better with a brand new fiat doblo 6k ;D

rosskesava

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2007, 01:51:50 am »
It's a difficult decision.

I did look at some write ups about that van and they were good. I just don't some how feel it's what I want. I had a drive around and had a stop and look at that van and others. I hate to say it, but logic doesn't seem to apply to buying a commercial vehicle especially as I've never bought one before. I bought a hearse for work as a window cleaner but not a commercial vehicle as such.

I just like the look of the Ford Connect and the fact that it has won so many awards by various magazines and also that BT and NTL use them.

I didn't realise untill I had to choose for myself 'what van' just how difficult the choice is.

It's hard to decide with a view to the future when you don't know what that future will be.

I'm still not 100% sure about my choice.

The one I've got my eye on is £5 000 plus VAT. I'm paying cash so maybe I can knock them down.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2007, 07:55:36 am »
It's a difficult decision.

I did look at some write ups about that van and they were good. I just don't some how feel it's what I want. I had a drive around and had a stop and look at that van and others. I hate to say it, but logic doesn't seem to apply to buying a commercial vehicle especially as I've never bought one before. I bought a hearse for work as a window cleaner but not a commercial vehicle as such.

I just like the look of the Ford Connect and the fact that it has won so many awards by various magazines and also that BT and NTL use them.

I didn't realise untill I had to choose for myself 'what van' just how difficult the choice is.

It's hard to decide with a view to the future when you don't know what that future will be.

I'm still not 100% sure about my choice.

The one I've got my eye on is £5 000 plus VAT. I'm paying cash so maybe I can knock them down.

I know what you mean about such a decision being difficult Ross.  I was faced with it too in Autumn '05.  I ended up buying something larger than I needed at the time so that I could grow into it.  In fact, mainly because I work alone, I still have spare capacity.  It will probably be a few more months before I am utilising my van fully.
However, a word on second hand vans.  I ended up buying a Renault Trafic (the 2.9 tonne version) that was about 2 yrs and 8 months old with 37,000 miles on the clock.  By the December/January (39,000 miles), there were noticeable problems with the gearbox.  I had to get the gearbox changed at 39,000 miles.  Luckily, there were still a few weeks of Renault's 3 year warranty to run so it only cost me inconvenience plus hiring a van for several days (I worked from trolley and containers in this period).
This is the main reason that I would like to buy brand new at the next vehicle change.  Even if a vehicle is lowish mileage and not too old, you can still end up with problems.  The loan on this vehicle won't be paid up until October 2010 (I took it over 5 years) by which time it will be nearly 8 years old with an estimated 95,000 on the clock.  Hopefully there will still be some half reasonable resale value on it.  I have heard stories about the gearboxes in some types of these vehicles (after the event as always) so I'm just hoping that the van will keep trundling away for the next 3 years and 9 months without major issues.

macmac

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2007, 10:36:36 am »
I see the choice is difficult for you but just think, for an extra grand if you got the doblo, its brand new, no miles, 3 years with no worries (warranty) etc.

in my view its a no brainer :P
i personaly think the connect is too dear, in 3 years it will have 100k on the clock and be worth virtualy nowt when the doblo will be just ending its warranty period and only just needing an MOT. ;)

regards

tony

darren_smart

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2007, 06:18:02 pm »
HI THIS GUY IS GREAT , WILL REALLY LOOK AFTER YOU.

www.banwygarage.co.uk

Cheers Darren
I have a stepladder. It's a very nice stepladder but it's sad that I never knew my real ladder

chris@c.m.s

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2007, 07:14:32 pm »
Ross it may be worth you checking theses guys out. www.brightonvansales.co.uk they looked nice and tidy when I was last down there and most are ex BT I think
Sussex by the sea

busydaffodil

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2007, 07:17:20 pm »
A friend works for BT and his advice to me was "leave the transits alone, theyre rubbish"

Still, he could fill in for Victor Meldrew so he probably dislikes everything.

There was a discussion a few months back about Vans.

Heres the link too it.

http://www.cleanitup.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=28794.20#msg221836

Fiat Scudo - everytime!

niceandclean

« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2007, 10:31:51 pm »

The reason why the bigger companies run around in them is because they get a mega deal straight from Ford.
Friend of mine has had 3 Scudo's and is now on his second Doblo, swears by it, prefers it to the Scudo!

rosskesava

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2007, 11:08:42 pm »
Blimey.

I am in such quandry. I like the look and load capacity of the Ford Connect but so many people in the last few days have said not to buy second hand, plus the above postings, and to go for either a Scudo or a Dolbo both of which I think look ugly.

Thanks for all the replies though. I never normally suffer from 'what to do' syndrome.

Now I'm thinking again and from what has been posted and what people have said to me, despite my earlier dislikes, of buying new and either a Scudo or a Dolbo......

This is so difficult and made worse by the link posted by Lizzy which is really helpfull and informative which sounds odd I know, but it has led me to need to think some more and not just jump in feet first which is what I tend to do and what is my nature.

Difficult. I'm starting to think of a new Scudo or Dolbo and of the two, the Dolbo but there again............. but a 3 year warranty is worth thinking about...

Cheers

rosskesava

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2007, 11:50:01 pm »
Hi Macmac

be better with a brand new fiat doblo 6k

After surfing the net a bit more, I think you may be right.

Pj

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2007, 12:01:49 am »
Hi Ross

I bought a Fiat Scudo about 15 months ago.  I wish I had bought bigger!  If you are a bit untidy like me, then you will need more space.

Buy the biggest you can afford, go for space.  That is my advice.

ps.  No such thing as a Fiat Dolbo ;)  but know what you mean.

rosskesava

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2007, 12:24:26 am »
ps.  No such thing as a Fiat Dolbo   but know what you mean.

;D

Who thinks up these names? Doblo sounds like a dog tu*d pushed out with a f*rt.