This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Davew

Strapping Tanks?
« on: December 27, 2006, 03:45:49 pm »
I see various sized tanks available of different shapes and sizes - would it be safe to strap them to the van floor (say 650ltr) or is this method just not safe enough?

Re: Strapping Tanks?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2006, 04:06:58 pm »
hi i am no expert though i would say that size of tank i would bolt it down through floor. Though you can get straps to strap it down too it will weigh when full approx 700kgs also got to factor in breaking strains as your moving around hope this is of help.

russ_clark

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2006, 04:29:44 pm »
make sure the tank you fit is baffled
it can be fitted using metal straps and plates
then drilling through the floor and fixing using strong bolts
and plate it top and bottom.
Get your dimensions and get your local steeel fabricator to knock them up in his lunch break for a nice drink.
I personally would not even consider using material straps-
they just do not seem strong enough if the worst was to happen.
Just my personal opinion
Russ

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2006, 04:42:52 pm »
i use a 400ltr tank strapped down which is fine but i wouldnt go any bigger as obviously the more water the heavier the load can move

Ian Lancaster

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2006, 05:02:28 pm »
Just bolting through the floor isn't good enough.  Most van floors are thin steel plate spot welded to the chassis members, they will rip like tissue paper in the event of a crash - you need to spread the load across as many under floor chassis members as possible - I have a 4"x2" channel section under the floor across the width of the van with the tank retaining bolts through it, so the whole floor and chassis will have to be torn up before the tank comes up and hits me in the back of the head.

Just think of this: You're travelling at 50 mph and have a smash.  the van stops (almost ) dead - 700kg of deadweight continues to travel forward at 50mph - are your bolts through the thin van floor going to stop it?

Cheers,

Ian

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2006, 05:05:08 pm »
Just bolting through the floor isn't good enough.  Most van floors are thin steel plate spot welded to the chassis members, they will rip like tissue paper in the event of a crash - you need to spread the load across as many under floor chassis members as possible - I have a 4"x2" channel section under the floor across the width of the van with the tank retaining bolts through it, so the whole floor and chassis will have to be torn up before the tank comes up and hits me in the back of the head.

Just think of this: You're travelling at 50 mph and have a smash.  the van stops (almost ) dead - 700kg of deadweight continues to travel forward at 50mph - are your bolts through the thin van floor going to stop it?

yes they are i was involved in a head on crash just before xmas with a 700ltr tank full up when i was hit at 70mph.... the tank nor the bolts moved so i have to dissagree here

jeff1

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2006, 05:40:31 pm »
Do you need to strap a tank down in a lidded trailer?

Colin_Glenn

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2006, 06:41:43 pm »
I have an upright 400 litre baffled tank in my Vauxhall combi. The legnth and height of the tank is slightly bigger than the entrance to the cab from the back. Also I have a full steel bulkhead. What I have done is fitted the tank against the bulkhead and used 4 x 350kg rachet straps to secure the tank to the bulkhead and stop the tank from falling over into the back of the van as I pull away.

I showed this to my friend who is an engineer and he said it would be fine. As he pointed out, the tank is slightly bigger than the cab so an accident bad enough to make the tank come through the bulkhead would probably kill the driver outright.

Hope I never have to find out.  :o
Transparent Weather Exclusion Systems Technician.

jeff1

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2006, 06:48:36 pm »
Colin just curious, what have you clamped the straps to, I have a few sets of ratchet staps, used to tie harrier jump jets to the deck of a carrier and was going to use these to strap my tank down with, but realise the fixings have to be reliable.

Davew

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2006, 06:57:11 pm »
I've been visiting several sites on the net and some suppliers show their tanks with metal bands around them one was banded across the vehicle and it looked as if the tank might just slide through in a crash. Other tanks offered are laying flatter in the van offering a lower center of gravity maybe they would be safer. There seems to be many diy offerings and I just wonder how safe they are as most would be untested. A couple of vans I looked at only have a flimsy ladder type bulkhead that would only stop parcels flying into the cab. The bigger manufacturers offer a proper cradle - at a price. I'll keep looking and decide later.
I wonder if health and safety comes into this or insurance cover?

macmac

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2006, 07:53:47 pm »
fabric straps are more than good enough, (provided you use the correct ones) ;) you would need to be hit by a airbus-A380 to break them!

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2006, 08:40:24 pm »
There does seem to be an industry generated negative press towards good old fabric ratchet straps.

Every other industry is quite happy to use them extensively and for almost all requirements. Just because something is made of steel does not guarantee its integrity, at what point will a weld burst apart?

Cars on transporters rely on just fabric straps to hold them onto the back of the lorry (around their tyres), I had my 2 ton vehicle shipped down from up country this way, and the transporter had 8 other vehicles all held down the same way.

As has been said 'Jump-jets' rely on them. Every time we take a car journey we strap ourselves in with them (seat-belts).

Take a look at what RSJ's are held down with on the back of lorries. Glass panels on the side of vans are held down with them.

The key is what the rating on them is and how they are anchored, which is the same issues for bolted down frames and straps.

Just my thoughts on the issue,

Alex

Bazzy1999

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2006, 08:59:20 pm »
I worked in the metal industry for 16 years and all the lorrys that came to us used the fabric ratchet straps and i used to deliver RSJs to customers using the same thing but one day i lost an RSJ off the back of my van and it wasnt the strap that broke it was the hook it was hooked on which was a 10mm steel hook welded to the side of the van.
So like Alex said its how its bolted down that makes the difference..

Bazz...

riz

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2006, 09:19:57 pm »
All these things that are strapped down are all being moved temporally not permanent.

Only one way to find out though eh?

DO IT PROPERLEY DO IT ONCE!

Bazzy1999

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2006, 09:31:07 pm »
The ratchets i used were there when i started and 16 years later are still as good and used every day so i dont call that Temporary..

Bazz...

JM123

« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2006, 09:37:54 pm »
coming from a design engineering background I can honestly say there are pro's and cons to each method of securing a tank.

Straps are cheap, if used correctly (ie high enough rating and fastened down to a secure anchor) they are safe.  However, straps need to be well maintained (any small cuts in the material will seriously weaken them).

Cages (again if built and fastened securely) are also very efficient.

The main rule of thumb in engineering is 49%.  That is, the maximum anticipated load should never be any greater than 49% of the calculated strength. 
Live life in the fast lane.......if you break down you'll freewheel further

Ballymena N.I

macmac

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2006, 09:39:16 pm »
fabric for me every time, unless your talking aerospace spec'  - steel has many flaws, especially the standard we're talking about. the metal hooks at each end though do let the side down as these are usually the weekest point that's why slingers have done away with them in favour of just a fabric loop. :P

JM123

« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2006, 09:44:21 pm »
we only use grade 430 steel and above.

Live life in the fast lane.......if you break down you'll freewheel further

Ballymena N.I

Bazzy1999

« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2006, 09:51:48 pm »
JM123 i know what you mean im just saying in my opion, the anchor point is just as important as the strap you use metal or fabric and ive used fabric for years and had no problems with them but i have had problems with metal ones before as theres not much play in them.

Bazz...

riz

« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2006, 10:36:30 pm »
The ratchets i used were there when i started and 16 years later are still as good and used every day so i dont call that Temporary..

Bazz...

i was talking about the past threads lorrys carrying cars etc