This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

chrismroberts

Soaked scrims!
« on: December 23, 2006, 09:10:29 pm »
Hey all :)

I dont know if its all that extra moisture in the air... but the past few days my scrims have been getting soaked really quickly! Went through 2 on one semi detached today! Any of you trad guys having the same problem?

S_RICHARDSON

Re: Soaked scrims!
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2006, 09:17:57 pm »
Yes i am we are having to repeatedly get fresh one's from the van !!   Annoying hey!   >:(       :)

Chris Cottrell

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2006, 09:18:28 pm »
There is a lot more moisture in the air at the mo my brushes get absolutely soddin every day

Chris  ;D

chrismroberts

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2006, 09:21:48 pm »
Am so glad its not just me then...! :P Its a right pain... I've just bought 4 more, but have a feeling I'll go through them in a morning aswell! Ahh well, not workin' till the new year now  ;)

Adam Boss

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2006, 09:44:59 pm »
Hi all,
Why get fresh scrims from the van, scrim is ment to be used damp that's when they are at their best. When they get too wet , squeeze them out untill they are just damp again.
Been in the job nearly 20 years and this is the way it's always been.
All the best to you all

asboss :)
EST: 1988

rosskesava

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2006, 10:54:20 pm »
The humidity has been very high for the last few days apart from Friday (around here that is).

The weather is one of my hobbies and I am always amazed at what a different the relative humidy makes.

Also I've found that a squeegie leaves more lines when it's really humid.

Hi Asboss

I've tried that numerous times but for me it never seems to work. It may sound a daft question, but exactly how do you squeeze them out as I can never seem to get them dry enough?

Maybe I'm weak?

Cheers

paul mather

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2006, 11:04:36 pm »
Hi all,
Why get fresh scrims from the van, scrim is ment to be used damp that's when they are at their best. When they get too wet , squeeze them out untill they are just damp again.
Been in the job nearly 20 years and this is the way it's always been.
All the best to you all

asboss :)

Sorry but that's just not true!
Use the wand of power !!

Warrington, Cheshire

Pj

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2006, 11:14:15 pm »
Well technically it is true.  If you have hands like shovels, and biceps like Popeye you can wring out scrims perfectly.  I managed it for about 2 or 3 years.  But not since then....I am now in my 20th year.

Last year and a half wfp.  I can't even wring a sock out anymore!

rosskesava

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2006, 11:26:49 pm »
I didn't so much have a problem wringing them out to be fairly dry'ish, but it felt like the skin was being torn off my hands. After a few goes my hands were seriously sore.

Also, I found a slightly damp scrim left smears.

Maybe I was doing something wrong but I couldn't work out what but I tend to think that someone with 20 years experience may have a point that I'm missing.

pjulk

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2006, 12:33:42 am »
but exactly how do you squeeze them out as I can never seem to get them dry enough?

Easy
Grab a corner and spin it to twist it up.
Then fold in half and spin it some more then give it a good twist with your hands you will see a load of water come out.
Then fold in half again and twist again and you will then see more water come out.
Then come a corner whilst still twisted tightly and give it a good sharp flick downwards.
You should then see a small puddle of water.
Straighten your scrim up and you will see it has a load of dry lines.

Try it you will see it works.
You should only need a couple of scrims a day as they get dirty wash them out in your bucket and ring out as above and there as good a new again

Paul

KJG

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2006, 12:30:21 pm »
The humidity has been very high for the last few days apart from Friday (around here that is).

The weather is one of my hobbies and I am always amazed at what a different the relative humidy makes.

Also I've found that a squeegie leaves more lines when it's really humid.

Hi Asboss

I've tried that numerous times but for me it never seems to work. It may sound a daft question, but exactly how do you squeeze them out as I can never seem to get them dry enough?

Maybe I'm weak?

Cheers

The more broken in, the easier it is to wring out a scrim. For nearly new scrims, you can use your elbows between your knees for that final crunch.

chrismroberts

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2006, 01:20:45 pm »
Will give that a try Paul... but I do agree with Ross, even a small amount of water in my scrims leaves smears on the windows.

G Griffin

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2006, 02:19:36 pm »
Are you using them for detailing?
If so wipe edges first with sill cloth and use less water ie don`t overload applicator. Less to detail means they stay dryer longer.
 You could also use two scrim to detail. First damp,then dry one to polish. Let the damp one take the brunt and keep wringing it out. But not so it hurts your hands  :'(.
 A smaller squeegee and Ettore rubber will also leave less detailing. Just started using Ettore and they miles better than Pulex.
 The weather at this time will always mean they get damper quicker so you could stop detailing. If anyone notices just explain your problem and that you`ll resume detailing when the weather improves

Gerry.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Adam Boss

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2006, 03:08:36 pm »
Paul M ,
can't see how you don't agree, it has been a tried and tested method for many years.
Paul Griffin hit the nail on the head, after you squeeze the scrim out
hold the two corners and shake hard in a up and down movement.
The only thing with scrim is that it has to be broken in. What I do is use a new scrim as a sill cloth and wash regularley and then it will be spot on.
I tried microfiber but once damp it was useless. so now I use a damp micro and polish with scrim.
Seasons greeting to you all.

Asboss ;) ;) ;)

dai

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2006, 03:49:48 pm »
I was using a leather and damp scrim back in the late 50's
You can't beat a clean, damp scrim for polishing. Clean is the word though. We washed our scrim several times a day in cold water. I had caloused hands from wringing them out too.
This was before we had squeegies. DAi

Ian_Giles

« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2006, 04:57:33 pm »
Using slightly damp CLEAN wrung out scrims is an artform in itself...you can do it, but...er, why bother with all that effort??

An experienced window cleaner will only use a couple of scrims a day.

And with the advent of of microfibre cloths the scrim is almost redundant, they are the dogs whatsits ;)
They work best when dry, but they are pretty cheap now, so have a few and rotate them regularly.
Ditto scrims to be honest.
I might be WFP now, but even in the most humid of conditions a half dozen scrims would last me all day.

One of the problems with using a damp scrim for polishing is that it has to be a very clean scrim, and it has to be barely damp for best effect.

As Dai said, you need to wash it out several times with clean, fresh water; soapy water isn't ideal as you have detergent residue impregnated in the scrim, with the result that the windows are not going to be as clean as you think they are.

I know this is a trad thread, and I'm not meaning to subvert it, but in the foggy conditions we have had just recently, or any weather condition with very high humidity...well, it just doesn't make a ha'peth of difference, it really is just bisiness as usual.

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

Adam Boss

« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2006, 05:05:01 pm »
Scrim will never be reduntant !!
Callouses for ever !!!!
The chicks love rough hands. LOL ;D ;D :-* :-*

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2006, 05:13:31 pm »
When wringing them out hold for a count of say 5 before you let go.

Ian_Giles

« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2006, 05:21:21 pm »
and of course the real reason for giving them that whiplash snap! is so that all the bits of your shredded skin from wringing out the scrim are fully removed ;D

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

Cleaner Windows

« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2006, 07:01:04 pm »
ive seen posts on here before saying a "real" shiner can dry out a scrim by wringing it out, a few snaps blah blah blah and the scrim is dry! that has to be bulls**t?
or is it just a bit damp at the end of the process? (and not actually dry!)
i'd like to know and if poss would like to see some video footage :D
thanx
when I'm cleaning windows